Strategy against Internet Players

• bradk8605
      bradk8605
      Basic
      I'm playing in a live game this upcoming weekend, and there are a couple players that play online and are the very aggressive type of player, I was wondering what strategies are best against those kind of players?
  • 6 replies
    • Targetme
      Targetme
      Bronze
      Its the same game they are just better then you. So get better is your only option
    • BrinkyBill
      BrinkyBill
      Bronze
      Usefull post from above. It is actually true. If you don't feel like you have an edge, just play very tight und mach keine grossen Plays.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Yes, playing very tight in German should do it. :)
    • BrinkyBill
      BrinkyBill
      Bronze
      Sorry about that. I get confused between the two, cos I switch between the German and English community all the time.
    • druidulix
      druidulix
      Bronze
      Well, if they're really aggressive just let them do the betting as soon as you've got a hand. Don't be afraid of a big pot if you know they're kinda loose. This does of course require that they actually are really aggressive and (almost) never check/call.

You can also try to find out how they react to raises (not telling you to bluff AI unless you're sure it works) but rather to find out if they fold to 3-bets when they're in late position and such, when its quite cheap to raise them.

if they're more tight/aggressive, I would probably (yes, I'm a scared noob) try to stay out of their way and aim for easier money as long as I don't have a monster, but still try to harass them when they're in the blinds.

You might know this already, if thats the case I apologize, but please don't vary your bet sizing on the strength of your hand pre flop (post flop its more subtle but still, try to avoid it). Unless the dynamics are VERY different, try to use the by PokerStrategy recommended sizes: 4 bigblinds +1/limper

But dont be shy to act like a total noob post flop, try to trick them with some unorthodox (spelling?) moves like overbetting and such if you think they will call just because they think its a stupid moove.
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Sign-up online, read some strategy articles, watch some videos and start playing hands is my advice! You can get WAY more experience and become a much better player in a short space of time online than you can live.

Short term, I agree with the guys below. You can also play a much more trapping game against very agressive players and let them get the money in the pot for you.

A lot of "internet guys" are aggressive but don't adjust very well to live games which are very different so try not to be intimidated.