[NL2-NL10] A2o BvB straight on the river with flush possible

• ZephyrS
      ZephyrS
      Bronze
      Ongame Network $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1484016

UTG: $5.45
      MP: $18.10
      CO: $5.83
      BTN: $20.67
      SB: $9.90
      Hero (BB): $11.90

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is BB with 2 :club: A :spade:
      4 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.80) A :diamond: 8 :diamond: 4 :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $3, SB calls $1.50

Turn: ($6.80) 5 :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($6.80) 3 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $6.50 all in, Hero folds

unfortunately no stats. his 2nd hand at the table. i guess i am behind like...always? comments anyone?

thanks alot
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello ZephyrS,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: Don't like that much the raise preflop. I mean of course you could make him fold some of his completing hands but at the same time your A2 ain't doing very good postflop. Rather just Check and play in smaller pot.
      Postflop: Just Bet/Fold it, that's the another reason why I don't like that much to raise up with such a hand. You are just making too often mistakes postflop while playing in bigger pots with such a hand. Also what's the idea behind the min-3bet? If you want to 3bet at all then don't do it this way. Although I wouldn't 3bet at all here, you are just isolating yourself against strong hands. At the best I'd Call but while I don't even know the opponent it's really hard to do that. If you raised then why ain't ya shipping the turn? Didn't you go for value on flop vs his Check/Raise?

Best Regards.
    • ZephyrS
      ZephyrS
      Bronze
      Hi veriz. thanks for the thought.

Well preflop I am slightly ahead against most of the completing range and he could fold to the raise as well so I raised.

On the flop I cbet because I hit tp and there is a FD. His raise is not big at all as well so I thought that he's either bluffing cheap thinking that I fold when I don't hit, making his FD cheap or trying to get something of 8x hand so I decided to raise to see what happens making his hand a bit more clear. (I should have raised more, because with the min3bet I actually got lost more in the hand .) )

And with the explanation you gave I think I should have shoved the turn with the way I played because at the time I thought that I have the best hand. .X But I dunno why there was some stupid idea in my head like "pot control". Shouldn't have 3bet the flop I guess.

Well and with that river I guess that I'm beat.
      What do you think about the thinking process? .) Are there any significant errors?

Sorry should have included my thinking line right on the beggining. Surely will do in the next hand. Thanks for the analysis once more. .)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      The problem preflop is that even if you put your A2o against random range which is 100%. Take a look that your hand ain't even that much ahead:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    54.93%  52.95%   1.98% { A2o }
      UTG+1  45.07%  43.09%   1.98% { random }

But lets say ATo:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    62.72%  61.57%   1.15% { ATo }
      UTG+1  37.28%  36.12%   1.15% { random }

You see how big the difference is? You are just putting yourself into trouble with such a hand while there ain't gonna be a lot worse Ax hands and starting to build it up preflop. While might even make mistakes postflop.

What do you think about the thinking process? .) Are there any significant errors?

Well, of course it's somewhat reasonable but do you really expect the opponent to be that aggressive? We can't even be sure that he Limp/Calls preflop and then shows aggression postflop. More often in such situations they rather have a strong made hand. Without knowing the opponent exactly it's hard to expect them always to have any kind of draw there.