TheBrownie

• TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, I'm Karolis, originally from Lithuania but currently studying in the UK in college.
      I started playing poker quite a while ago in home games, few local sport poker tournaments, sometimes on the internet but only recently decided to take it seriously. My journey started with a deposit to PokerStars room with the bankroll enough to play NL10. However, after 5k hands I'm still only break-even which is better than losing but I'm still not satisfied. I feel that there are lots of leaks that I could fix.
      Next week I will buy Holdem Manager which hopefully will help me to improve my game a bit.
  • 2 replies
    • TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I look at poker as my part-time job. This is my motivation to play it. I think that with enough effort and determination I will be able to earn significantly more while playing poker rather than at any other part-time job while still being a student. However, I don't think I will pursue poker as my whole life's career since after the college and the university I will want something more stable.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

At the moment I am a break-even player. I think that my biggest leaks come from my old gambling habits from the times when I used to play home games with my friends. Since all of us played quite loose and super aggressive poker, I adapted to that and brought this style of playing with myself into the internet. My aggression factor according to PTR is 6. It also says that I should be much less aggressive on turn and the river. However, I'm quite tight and my VPIP is about 22% which is ok at SH I think. Therefore I think that my biggest leak is not that I can't wait for good hands but that when I get them, I overplay them too much. I understand this but I still can't fix it. It's simply because I can't spot when to c/bet and when to give up and often can't read my opponents well. However, next week I'll get HEM which will hopefully will help me a little bit.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

TAG style means waiting for relatively good hands in order to avoid marginal situations. This way you are often ahead pre-flop and the decisions post-flop are often easier too than if they were when playing LAG style which requires superior post-flop skills. When playing TAG you are trying to stay tight and wait for good hands or spots for stealing, and when they finally come, you show aggression in order to extract value. It also helps you to understand where you are in relation to your opponent, if you just keep checking and cold calling, you will never be able to read your opponent well.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

At the moment I am a break-even player. I think that my biggest leaks come from my old gambling habits from the times when I used to play home games with my friends. Since all of us played quite loose and super aggressive poker, I adapted to that and brought this style of playing with myself into the internet.

Now it's the time to switch that. :) Try first steps to follow the SHC and try to learn the preflop & postflop play. That's why it's good for to learn the chart, it avoids you playing very loose.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing rather selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.