[NL2-NL10] Nl10 SH JJ BB

• TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      I don't have stats but the opponent seemed pretty solid and not too loose.

Pre-flop: I gave my opponent the range of all medium-small pairs as well as medium suited connectors (22+, 56s+) because I think that with high suited connectors or high pairs he would have raised more.
      I decided that call is the best here because of the number opponents that have already entered the pot. Is that a good decision?

Flop: I'm not sure about my bet sizing. I bet pot size to protect myself against draws. However, villain 3-bet afterwards.
      I think he could re-raise with a few overpairs, three-of-a-kind, suited connectors with the possibility of OESD+Flush draw. This gives me the equity of 52.26% agains his range. My pot odds are ~32%.

I know that after this point I played totally rubbish and overplayed my hand. However, what are your suggestions and how should I have played it? Can you also tell me are my calculations right and are my assumptions about the range more or less fine?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $20.29
      CO:
      $9.20
      BU:
      $9.08
      SB:
      $5.51
      BB (Hero):
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $12.01

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J.
      MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.10, BU folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.4) 5, 4, 2 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, MP2 raises to $1.40, CO folds, SB folds, Hero raises to $3.20, MP2 calls $1.80.

Turn: ($6.8) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.20, MP2 calls $3.20.

River: ($13.2) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.50, MP2 calls $3.50.

Final Pot: $20.2.
  • 4 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Pre-flop:

No it's not. You always want to isolate opponents with a hand like JJ. The more opponents in the hand the lesser your chance of having the best hand on the flop.

Secondly the pot is too small and villains won't continue limped pots often unless they have something good. Hence you either win little or loose a lot by not raising it pre.
    • TheBrownie
      TheBrownie
      Bronze
      Ok, I'll keep it in mind.
      Now what should I do if I raise pre-flop and the flop comes something like A85? Should I c/bet and fold to a bet? The opponent wouldn't call with something less than ace or draw such as 67 or so or some medium pair therefore he would often fold. What worse hands could really pay off to me after such a raise?
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      If you isolate and one guy calls it is likely he does not have the A and puts you on it.

Reason being that limp/calling with strong Ax is really weird and is hardly ever done with weak Ax either. I would take a b/f line.

If multiple opponents call your pre-flop raise I would c/f on A high board.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello TheBrownie,

Preflop: Standard spot to raise it up and protect your hand and get value from worse.

As played
      Postflop: Just horrible to go broke with overpair here. You are in multiway pot and most likely they ain't playing with a lot worse here like that. I'd just Bet/Fold it right on flop.

Best Regards.