[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH AJo SB

• TheBrownie
      Pre-flop: I thought that the BB is defending his blinds and therefore 3-bet. I put him on the range of 55+, A5o+, A5s+, KTo+, QJo+, K9s+, QTs+ (because Equilab suggest so- BB-Defence Call / 3-Bet > 3-Bet vs. 50% (SB)). My equity is 55%. Maybe I should have folded at this stage because the opponent has the initiative?

Flop: Slowplaying was a mistake but the opponent seemed rather loose so I wanted to induce a bluff. I have no idea on what range to leave him now. Since he played so aggressively pre-flop, he must have a strong pair or some sorf of draw. However, he also checks, wtf?

Turn: I raised relatively small because the opponent's play seemed quite weak on the flop therefore I wanted to extract value and wasn't really scared of the draws.

River: Quite obvious that he caught his draw.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with J, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BB raises to $1.10, Hero calls $0.70.

Flop: ($2.2) K, A, 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: ($2.2) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB calls $0.70.

River: ($3.6) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $2.00, Hero calls $2.00.

Final Pot: $7.6.
  • 4 replies
    • Dragar
      I would not advise to bet low to keep opponents in, even when there are 0 draws. Your not building a pot. If he has something to call you with he will also call a regular bet. Only good with small bets if you know your opponent loves to raise them.
    • TheBrownie
      Makes sense but I guess it differs from the opponents. I noticed that there are quite a few players at this limit who happily call with quite weak hands or weak draws as long as you keep the bet raises low since they can't resist of seeing the next community card for so 'cheap'.

If I'm not right, then I don't really understand what betting for value means really.
    • veriz
      Hello TheBrownie,

Preflop: Not a huge fan of Calling here, your Ax is way too often even dominated and you don't even know anything about his 3bet range. I mean the range you put him on is just wrong. Do you really think he would 3bet with ~20%? Without knowing the opponent I'd rather just fold it.

As played
      Postflop: Why do you bet so smallish on turn? Make a standard Bet there than slowplay or whatever was your idea there with such a small bet. The river is rather bet yourself to get value from 2pairs or just Check/Fold it, you didn't even write anything about the opponent, either he is capable of bluffing in those spots or not. He ain't ever betting here himself with 2pairs but rather just bluffing. So we only beat bluff.

Best Regards.
    • TheBrownie
      Thanks for the reply :)
      I used such a wide range because I assumed that he would try to re-steal from the blinds. Arrghh, there are still so many things that I don't understand well in poker :f_confused: