Crushing NL50 video question

• joejoemrjoe
      joejoemrjoe
      Bronze
      Hey,

I just have a couple of questions about the crushing NL50 video found here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/10381/

At 16.45 what does she mean when she says "there are also situations where you can even raise any 2"? She doesn't simply mean raising if you have a 2 does she, cos surely thats a very weak hand???

At 19.20 she says "he has one to twenty since we only need 80 big blinds, but we still have 95 behind". What does this mean?? I have no idea o.O

Thanks for any help :)

Joe
  • 4 replies
    • mizeriq
      mizeriq
      Bronze
      Any two means any two cards, not specifically X2.

The second case is the call 20 rule for small pocket pairs.
      Taken from http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1535/1/:
      "With a small pair, you should only call a raise, when your opponent has at least 20x the raise amount in his stack. By the way, this applies to you as well. You must also have 20x the raise amount. You can only win as much money as you have in your stack, so if your opponent has 20x the raise amount but you don't, it really doesn't help you. That is what the term 'Call 20' means."

So he has to call 4 BB, which means both players have to have at least 80 BB remaining and we have 95 remaining, so he will call.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      thanks mizeriq for the great answers. :f_love:

is everything clear now joe? did you understand the explanation? don't hesitate to ask more if you need to. it's good that you are watching videos to improve your game. hope you can continue the grind!

smiles,
      wendy
    • joejoemrjoe
      joejoemrjoe
      Bronze
      Thanks for the quick repies :)

First point is clear. Regarding the second point, I understand the call 20 rule, but did not recognise that was what was being talked about here. What does "he has one to twenty" mean though??
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      "one to twenty" = "1:20". that's how people say or express ratios or odds.

the call 20 rule states that you can call a raise if you have 1:20 ratio right? so that's what he is talking about. i'm guessing the opponent raised 4 big blinds (so 4x20 = 80) so you need a minimum of 80 stack size left to be able to call. but it is 95, so it is even better, and you can easily call in that spot.

any clearer?