KK delima

• Armed45410
      Armed45410
      Basic
      I was recently in a tourny and after 230+ others were knocked out leaving less than 5 before the bubble of money tables when I was dealt KK. I had 40K in chips when the guy to my left went all in with 26K then the guy to my immediate right shoved with 75K. Being that it is that close to the bubble, I've been there for 3+ hours already and I have been bit by village idiot luck too many times in the past, I took all of my alotted time to think about it. After a minute or so I finally ended up folding my K's. If this was your first seat at the WSOP, would that had been the correct move? Do you go for it and hope you don't get knocked out? Or play it safe, knowing you'll be in the money at a minimum?

I know I'll never regret what I did, even after being rideculed by the other players at the table who saw me fold them only because I would have won the hand, but I know that village idiot luck can rear it's ugly head at the most inoprotune times. You know what I did,
      What would you have done??
  • 8 replies
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      You can't be such a pussy in those spots or you'll never win a tournament. KK is an easy all-in in every spot. Especially late in the tournament where your playing really short you shouldnt be folding JJ+ AK.
    • Armed45410
      Armed45410
      Basic
      I suppose it would depend upon the size of your bank, because at the time I had used my bank up for the buy-in and making sure I was returned my buy-in was a priority even though I did place 2nd and lost to a villager play.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Armed45410
      at the time I had used my bank up for the buy-in and making sure I was returned my buy-in was a priority
      hi Armed,

this is another good reason why we should use some bankroll management especially for MTT's as they have very big variance. when your priority is to have your buy-in returned, it can be quite difficult to make optimal plays to win the tournament. here is the link for

MTT BRM article

might help you avoid costly mistakes in the future :)

smiles,
      wendy
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by Armed45410
      I suppose it would depend upon the size of your bank, because at the time I had used my bank up for the buy-in and making sure I was returned my buy-in was a priority even though I did place 2nd and lost to a villager play.
      If you can't afford to lose the buy-in then you really shouldn't be playing the tournament in the first place.
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Folding KK in a donkament is a sin.
    • slipkn6t
      slipkn6t
      Bronze
      Yesterday I was watching my friend play. He plays well, much better than I do. And when he went all in with TT or AKo just before the ITM (in the money) I was like WTF :f_o:
      He ended up winning 2 tournaments in a row:
      http://www.pocketfives.com/tournament/900460/
      http://www.pocketfives.com/tournament/900564/
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      People like OP, who focus solely on getting ITM on the bubble are exactly the reason why stealing extremely agressively and only playing for at atleast top3, but preferably only having the aim to win, is such a profitable strategy.

AaronLambert, our dear MTT coach, very often comments on this in his videos.
      "We should never play only to mincash, when being MTT players, we need to focus on getting to the top, since the payout structure really only lets you cash in big in the top3"

For enormous tournaments, like the Sunday Storm that brings 30k+ fields, sure aiming for top50 may be acceptable, but attempting to get any lower than final table at the absolute minimum will make you a losing player in the long run in MTTs, since the variance is so big you need to make it significant when you do cash, never settle for 1-2 BI.

Regards,
      Richard
    • Armed45410
      Armed45410
      Basic
      thank you for the article