Fantasy sports

• Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Bronze
      I was just wondering how many of you guys were into fantasy sports, I'm quite a huge fantasy football guy myself and just recently found out that Andrew "muddywaters" Wiggins, Taylor "GreenPlastic" Caby and the rest of the cardrunners crew have started a fantasy sports website that allows real money play and freerolls to fill the void left by the no online poker in America stuff. Anyways, I checked it out and I dug it cuz I'm into that kinda stuff and cuz it's good to see fellow poker community members reaching outside poker and succeeding. Anyways, for those who wish to check it out: DraftDay.com

Let me know what you guys think. Personally I think it's really well done and I'm completely enamored with it.
  • 4 replies
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Washdogg
      I was just wondering how many of you guys were into fantasy sports, I'm quite a huge fantasy football guy myself and just recently found out that Andrew "muddywaters" Wiggins, Taylor "GreenPlastic" Caby and the rest of the cardrunners crew have started a fantasy sports website that allows real money play and freerolls to fill the void left by the no online poker in America stuff. Anyways, I checked it out and I dug it cuz I'm into that kinda stuff and cuz it's good to see fellow poker community members reaching outside poker and succeeding. Anyways, for those who wish to check it out: DraftDay.com

Let me know what you guys think. Personally I think it's really well done and I'm completely enamored with it.

Hey Washdogg, hows it going? When you mentioned football I thought you were referring to real football not 'steriodball'! All joking aside, the site looks great and put together well. Do you have any tips for drafting my fantasy NBA/NFL teams? :)
    • Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Bronze
      LOL, you're right. Since most of the PS community is European I probably should have added 'American' or NFL.

As far as tips, really just check up on the matchups. If a good QB is facing a bad defense, he should be a good pick over a great QB facing a great defense.

And the biggest thing to remember is that you aren't necessarily trying to draft the best players. You're more looking for a good cost to point ratio. For example Aaron Rodgers may cost you $17,000 of your salary cap. And let's say you expect him to throw 3 TDs and about 300 yards, which is 30 points for you. You're effectively paying $567 per point. Now lets say there's a new QB, Tim Tebow, starting for the first time and he only costs $11,000 of your salary cap. And you expect him to throw 2 TDs and 250 yards, which is 22 points for you. For Tebow, you're effectively paying $500 per point. Therefore Aaron Rodgers may get you 8 more points but you're paying more money per point and thus using salary cap money that may better be used on another position where maybe the most expensive player is the one with the better price per point, and since you saved the $6k on Tebow, now you can afford this other player at another position.

That may seem a little complicated, but it's not really. They have the stats for a player's PPG(points per game). just divide that into their salary to get a close estimation of their price per point. And once you do a little research into the matchups (which to me is the most fun) then you get a good idea of who should get the most points. Thus making you a little more accurate with your price per point.

Mostly, just have fun. Pick players you like and can support. If you're not sure about matchups and drafting, just stick to the freerolls for a few weeks. Even if you're pretty busto they have $1 games with 2, 5, or 10 players. These games are usually pretty soft and a good place to learn and have fun. Fun is the reason you play poker and fun should be the reason you play fantasy sports. The money is just your bonus for getting good :) .

Hope I was able to give you a little advice that went in depth enough without making it seem daunting and scaring you off lol. What's your name on there? I can maybe give you some tips after your picks each week? Lol, maybe I should set up a coaching.
    • faarcyde
      faarcyde
      Bronze
      I like playing fantasy football a lot. I have a love affair with fantasy baseball but sometimes it is such a grind over the whole season. Football is great because if your team isn't playing that week or they are getting blown out / blowing out someone you still have a reason to watch some of the other match ups.

I picked up Tebow a couple weeks ago hoping he would be the new Michael Vick but that hasn't happened yet X(
    • Washdogg
      Washdogg
      Bronze
      Haha, I felt the same about Tebow. The potential, the disappointment, I'm with you.