[NL2-NL10] Donk bets mss

• roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      dealing with donk bets mss?

i felt this was a classic donk bet and decided to reraise, any thoughts guys?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.02(BB) Replayer
      SB ($2.46)
      BB ($2.23)
      UTG ($2.13)
      UTG+1 ($2.03)
      Hero ($0.77)
      MP1 ($2)
      MP2 ($8.86)
      CO ($0.57)
      BTN ($2)

Dealt to Hero 9:heart: 9:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.04

FLOP ($0.13) 3:club: Q:heart: 4:club:

BB bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, BB calls $0.16

TURN ($0.61) 3:club: Q:heart: 4:club: 2:diamond:

BB checks, Hero checks

RIVER ($0.61) 3:club: Q:heart: 4:club: 2:diamond: 4:diamond:

BB checks, Hero checks

BB shows 5:club: 7:club:
      (Pre 21%, Flop 47.8%, Turn 34.1%)

Hero shows 9:heart: 9:diamond:
      (Pre 79%, Flop 52.2%, Turn 65.9%)

Hero wins $0.58
  • 6 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      Hello Roo.

Do you have any reads on BB? If not, then my question is what are you trying to accomplish with that raise on flop? What worse hands can your opponent call you with?

In my opinion BB can donks this flush draws, 55-TT, Qx, set. If you raise, you give him reason to fold worse hand that could pay you off. I would call flop and evaluate turn.
    • VipKen
      VipKen
      Bronze
      It does look like a classic donk bet where villain tries to pick up the pot with some kind of draw of lower pair. I don't think he will bet here with a set, but rather play check/raise, because you're the preflop aggressor. Whit QQ, AQ he would have 3-bet preflop.

In this case, with such flop, I would put him on a flush draw. So I don't think a raise on the flop is wrong. If he wants to chase his flush draw, let him pay for it.

The 2 on the turn is not a nice card, because it can complete a straight draw for A5. Villain checks again, so he could be slow playing a straight or just still chasing his flush. If he bets the flop with a set, top or 2 pair, he would bet again here. If you check behind you give him a free card.

When the card on the river is :club: and he bets, I would fold. Because I don't expect him to have a set, and because of the 4 on the river I also don't think he'll have 44, it's obvious he was chasing a flush draw. With this in mind I would definitely bet the river, because I don't believe he has a stronger hand than ours.
    • 101aj
      101aj
      Bronze
      Yes... bet river
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VipKen
      It does look like a classic donk bet where villain tries to pick up the pot with some kind of draw of lower pair. I don't think he will bet here with a set, but rather play check/raise, because you're the preflop aggressor. Whit QQ, AQ he would have 3-bet preflop.

In this case, with such flop, I would put him on a flush draw. So I don't think a raise on the flop is wrong. If he wants to chase his flush draw, let him pay for it.

The 2 on the turn is not a nice card, because it can complete a straight draw for A5. Villain checks again, so he could be slow playing a straight or just still chasing his flush. If he bets the flop with a set, top or 2 pair, he would bet again here. If you check behind you give him a free card.

When the card on the river is :club: and he bets, I would fold. Because I don't expect him to have a set, and because of the 4 on the river I also don't think he'll have 44, it's obvious he was chasing a flush draw. With this in mind I would definitely bet the river, because I don't believe he has a stronger hand than ours.
      great advice thanks :)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      moved to evaluation forum as well :)

cheers,
      wendy
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JohnDoe1313
      Hello Roo.

Do you have any reads on BB? If not, then my question is what are you trying to accomplish with that raise on flop? What worse hands can your opponent call you with?

In my opinion BB can donks this flush draws, 55-TT, Qx, set. If you raise, you give him reason to fold worse hand that could pay you off. I would call flop and evaluate turn.
      Hey, here you imply that one is raising for value with the pocket nines which is thin but still better than calling

Because if you call & evaluate turn, you mostly fold to a 2nd bet. That's what most people will do if they say this, i caught myself saying this over and over again

Now I do not think villain has a strong donking range because - as VipKen points out - sets would mostly c/R rather than donking

so I raise this Flop and maybe bet half pot on the Turn for free showdown + get value from flushdraws , midpairs

Best regards,
      Gerv