legalega

• legalega
      legalega
      Bronze
      i haven't introduce myself here, cause i did it in the other topic, but i guess it can't make harm just to say few basic things about me. so i'm from croatia, and started playing poker year ago in home games. i started playing online just one month ago, and i played nl10, which was obviously wrong, cause i didn't have BR for that. and ofc that costed me that first BR :)

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

well, object of playing poker is to make money isn't it?
      like straus told, i would bust my own grandmother if she was in pot with me :D

all other stuff, like having fun, making yourself famous in poker community and wider, are secundar..

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

- i can't stick with the TAG strategy for long, i just become more loose with every hand played, which brings me only more problems, like involving in pots with speculative hands which requires good postflop play (something i obviously lack considering i'm a beginner), and making 2nd best hands which i'm not able to recognize and fold..

- i play when i'm tired (wheter it be i start playing tired, or i continue to play when i become tired and my concentration is drasticaly decreasing)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

it means two basic things - playing tight reffers to your choice of starting hand you'll play with, which is rather rigid. you play only premium hands, and with position always on your mind. once you do enter do pot with your strong hand you must play it aggresively, you're taking the initiative, meaning you're betting and raising, puting your opponents under the pressure of making hard decisions.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Common mistake for Online beginners to loose their BR like this. :) But hopefully now you trying to stick to the BRM and see how it really changes your game.

like straus told, i would bust my own grandmother if she was in pot with me
      :facepalm: :f_biggrin:

- i can't stick with the TAG strategy for long, i just become more loose with every hand played, which brings me only more problems, like involving in pots with speculative hands which requires good postflop play (something i obviously lack considering i'm a beginner), and making 2nd best hands which i'm not able to recognize and fold..

That's what it is going to be for you first 2nd step. If you already can play according BRM, the 2nd step is to follow the SHC to learn preflop & postflop play. :) Tight is right. Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get easily tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. You have to find a way to adjust to that. For example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing rather selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • legalega
      legalega
      Bronze
      thx for advices :)

now, homework 2

1. well i would pretty much change my play in late pos (esp button) and some even from blinds for some hands from call to raise if we are facing only limper. for example, after someone limps i would def raise aces with middle kickers (T,J,Q) from blinds and do the same with suited face cards as well with suited connectors from late psition

2. posted hand

3. equity of AKo vs top 5% villain

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      MP3 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.