How I am beating the micro limits

• Tsvetkov
      Tsvetkov
      Bronze
      Ok. I signed up for PS a little more than a month ago and was very eager to start playing. So I printed all the tables and charts and sat one weekend to try it.

I have to note that I play on Full Tilt so there are no uber-super-micro limits like 0.01-0.02$. I did the SSS on NL10 and for hours I got only a couple of playable hands, often nobody called, which was a surprise to me because the low limits are usually more loose players.

Anyway, I got fed up and decided to try something different. I tried playing on NL25 SSS - which I know it's obviously a mistake according to the BRM..but still...it was better, but I still felt like it is impossible to gain like that. I am not a total newbie to poker so I stopped playing SSS and played more intiutively, but still tight...and I did very well.

I am playing 2 tables NL25 right now, and from the 50$ I made 200+ for about a month. I don't want to do the pure SSS now ;I have the $ to do that according to the BRM but I play tight and there are so many times when players call large preflop raises and get lucky on the flop that I decided that there is a big chance to actually lose with SSS.

Am I doing the right thing? I know it is not the strategy, but still I am doing very well - for 1-2hrs play I usually get 1-2 easy double ups. Also, can some of the more experienced players share how fast they advanced with the limits and their bankroll?

P.S. CAN SOME ADMIN PLS MOVE THIS TO THE NO LIMIT SECTION? THX
  • 4 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Tsvetkov,

The main reason we prescribe the SSS is so that players can adhere to BRM and secondly for them to get used to online play before having to be confronted with the intricate art of post-flop play. In this regard it therefore does not matter if players sooner or later decide to stray away from SSS and start playing as big stacks (in fact pretty much all of our later content focuses on big stack strategy).

The problem when playing NL25 with 50-75$ bankroll is that you only have 2-3 stacks and if you should get a bad beat or cooler - you are more or less broke very quickly. Even with 200$ BR you only have 8 stacks and any sort of downswing would mean the end of your online bankroll.

Bankrollmanagment is one of the most important aspects of poker - and you should try to adhere to it as best as possible. If you have 200$ BR now - you are perfectly suited for playing big stack strategy on NL10 (20 stacks BRM).

So I would suggest playing BSS on NL10, posting hands in the hand analysis forum, watching videos, reading all the BSS articles and making your way upwards :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Tsvetkov
      Tsvetkov
      Bronze
      Can you please move this to the NL forum section because I didn't realize where I put it until after I posted?

Yeah, I can give it a shot - try the BSS on NL10 although it is a bit hard going down a limit. What do you consider a standard/good profit rate in terms of blinds?
      [btw - at NL25 I buy in with 10-15$ and play tight, but looser than the SSS and wait for a big hand. I am not playing with 25$ stacks. Also I play 2 tables because I have small laptop and 2 tables overlapping 70% is the maximum I wanna try]

Also - I see everybody puts that profit like xBB/100 -> thats per 100 hands, right? What kind of software do you use to count the hands?
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello Tsvetkov,

I moved the topic.

It would in fact be better for you to play NL10 because playing with a medium stack is very suboptimal. You do not have sufficient implied odds to fully capitalize on your monster hands, and lack the fold equity of a big stack, but don't have the advantages of a short stack either. Due to these issues a medium stack is suboptimal. It would be better for you to move down a limit - but play as a real full stack there - not only out the above reasons but also in order to better perfect your big stack play.

In the beginning stages of playing poker your foremost goal should be to perfect your play and evolve as a player (post hands you have problems with, visit coachings, read articles etc). Monetary gain and moving up in limits should be secondary (since it will happen anyway).

The programs the people use to count hands is Pokertracker, which in combination with PokerAce can show opponent stats on the tables and keep your played hands in a database. We give this away for free once players have collected 2.000 lifetime strategy points.

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Tsvetkov
      Tsvetkov
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice - I hadn't given my stack size much thought, but now I see your point.

I will definitely post some hands and my progress in the future.