Tennis coach's blog - Midstakes Hyper-Turbo HUSNGs - 2013 review

• bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      The previous intro is in the spoiler, mostly about crap no one wants to read, but I'll leave it for anyone bored enough to read, and for myself to read when I want to remind myself what kind of a fish I was.

So I guess I'll start this...

Some things no one cares, but I want to write anyway. I'm 23, born and live in Belgrade, Serbia, and, as the title says, I'm a tennis coach. I'm also a IT student, and an aspiring poker player.

My greatest love is sports. I love all of them. Obviously tennis, football, basketball etc. I am a big fan of Red Star Belgrade, the 1991 champions of Europe. It's been a tough few years for us, but good things are coming. I also support Man United and Tottenham (how the hell can I support two teams in the same league is beyond me, but it's just the way it is).

Serbian tennis is currently NO1 in the world, as of yesterday we have tied with Spain for the most titles in this year.

I started playing poker 3-4 years ago, so I created bwin, FTP and PS accounts (and now I can't be tracked there). Then a while ago I found pokerstrategy.com, registered and busted again. The problem was that with my studies at the time, and my job I had no time for proper poker development. I shortstacked for a while on party with my starting capital, then a few days before time to clear my bonus was to expire I played NL50 or something and busted. I thought I'd lose it anyway.

A while later I played some freeroll at bwin, won it for some 100+ $ and things went from there. I deposited 20 euros to moneybookers so that I can move my BR around (only deposit ever), and from then I started searching for both the right room, and the right game type.

Best were sngs at party, but the rake was going to kill me, and I bailed. Also played NL10 at 24h poker with good results (>10bb/100 for just over 10k hands), but the software was tilting me and I couldn't stay there.

A month or so ago, I deposited some funds at stars, just to play some MTTs, and ended up moving my entire roll there. I again played all types of poker, ending with HU SNGs. I was winning at the 7s (no sample, some 200 games), but way way over EV, so I figured I should study some more (Pokerstrategy, why don't you have HUSNG material?). Then I figured I couldn't withdraw from stars without forfeiting signing up bonus and gave up on that. I don't want to deposit any money, so I had to find another game type...

There comes the famous jbpatzer :) I doubt that I'd start to play such a low-popularity game without you doing it first. I absolutely fell in love with it, and although I'm a fish at it, the level of play is even worse, so I'm earning while learning. Well, breaking even, but not losing is winning in my book :)

There it is, if you read it, the joke's on you. I'll write here for my sake, if anyone wants to join, go ahead, be my guests.

Cliffs:
      - played all sorts of games in all poker rooms.
      - First moved to stars and started playing HUSNGs around September/October 2011.
      - Played 5cd after that.
      - Back to HUSNGs.
      - Played all speeds until finally in June 2012 I decided I'd stick with hypers and try to do it properly.
      - Started with $3.5s and moved up in stakes until I started taking shots on the 60s end November 2012.
  • 526 replies
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Here's the first 5cd draw graph. The first hands are 10/20c, then 25/50c and last night and this morning is 50c/1$. That's the last 400 hands or so. I had huge fish on my tables (I two-table) in those two sessions.

• fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Woo, another 5CD blog? We need to get JB to come here!
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      That's what 5cd in the title is for :D
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      OK. I'm in. Just as long as I don't have to play any tennis.
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Pasted it in his blog, just in case, anyway: :)
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Some 500 hands today, will play more later. About 10BB down. I got setup a few times (fh < fh was the biggest one), and also made some really bad plays.

My thoughts on 5cd:

- Two pair is worth shit.
      - - Never value bet it post draw if they draw 3. If they missed, they will not call with a pair, if they've hit they will call you. People inexplicably don't value bet trips, I got caught in that trap quite a few times.
      - - if they drew 1, value bet aces or kings up, other two pair are worth shit. OK, maybe queens up.

- One pair is worth even less. Value bet only aces or kings if they draw 3. In other situations just check, and maybe, maybe call sometimes. Not without reads, though.

It is still very beatable, but I'll move down to 25c/50c as I planned in the first place. Not that people are worse there, they can't be, not really, but I'll just study more while loosing less, I suppose.

Also, got an e-book on NLHE HU by Moshman, I'll be reading that while playing 5cd and perhaps I'll play some HU SNGs again.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      As long as you have some flush draws in your range for calling and discarding one, you can get paid off when you have two pair. I call with two pair < queens up and AJ high or better flush draws, and 3bet Kings up or better and worse A high flush draws. OOP I like to sometimes bet fold two pair against someone drawing three to get value out of AAxxx or KKxxx that would check behind but may call a bet.
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      Originally posted by bjela

There comes the famous jbpatzer :)

our prof is famous!!! :f_love: I always knew it, JB is gonna make it big when he finally realizes poker (and not teaching ppl maths) is his calling and will luckbox a bracelet in 5CD one day :f_grin: wait for it!

cu saturday sir ;)
      if it was a bit warmer I would ask you for a round of tennis first :D
      no, i crush your tennis soul next year ;)
    • pericas1991
      pericas1991
      Silver
      i will follow this blog as well even though i dont know 5CD draw but still i have trained tennis all my life (retired now at age 20:D ,no more sponsors) and its interesting to see tennis coach from belgrade be devoted to poker... :P
      pozdrav iz vrsca...
    • Huricano
      Huricano
      Bronze
      "bjela 1988" ?

GL at tables :)
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Perice, wow Serbian tennis players together. I'm remembering a colleague of mine telling me about Perica from Vrsac. Do you know Strahinja Jovanovic?

Huricano, yeah I saw you at the tables. GL to you too !

A small update. No poker after my post last night, read Mr. Moshman's book for a while, but no great volume. I fell asleep. Had uni till now, and will go to the Red Star cup game later. After that probably will watch United's game, although they didn't deserve it on Saturday. So no poker today, probably. Might put in a session if United bores me dead.
    • pericas1991
      pericas1991
      Silver
      haha, of course i know Straihnja, he was my neighbour here in Vrsac... :D u work together with him in the club?? i was 9 years in germany at tennis academy, now i returned home for good and am working in vrsac as sparing partner... Strahinja invited me to come to work there, but i need a break till the end of this year and im gonna see...
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      sick, so many tennis pros here.
      good to see some colleagues around :f_biggrin:

• bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pericas1991
      haha, of course i know Straihnja, he was my neighbour here in Vrsac... :D u work together with him in the club?? i was 9 years in germany at tennis academy, now i returned home for good and am working in vrsac as sparing partner... Strahinja invited me to come to work there, but i need a break till the end of this year and im gonna see...
      Yeah, I thought it was you :) Yes, we work together, it would be nice if you joined us.

TT: I offered once, but here goes again: Tennis 4rolls? :f_biggrin:
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      I played a session tired, and dropped 20BB in 500 hands. To make things worse, I played 50/1 as I couldn't get a seat when I wanted at 25/50. I was card dead most of the time, and on tables with maniacs, so I leaked money steadily. When I did get anything half-good, I was outdrawn, or just had a worse hand to begin with. I don't know. Just to many things I still don't know about this game.

Sooo, I once again don't know what to do. When I first played this game, it was new and fun. Now (when I'm losing, obviously) it is less fun. And having reconsidered my position, I'm not too sure I want to play a game with no prospect of moving up (well, not up enough), and that is not that exciting. I just don't have enough hours in my day for everything I want/need to do.

And frankly, I miss the rush of an all-in. A rush of cards flipping for the turn and river. I miss hold-em.

My options are sticking with 5cd for a few weeks, trying to regain my confidence, and returning to HU SNGs. I might even try hypers, to try and work on my end-game, which is the weakest part of my HUSNG game.

Now I'll read some more of the book, and turn in for the night.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      One thing I have discovered is that you need infinite patience to beat 5CD, and I suspect other FL games too. Keep playing the right ranges in the right positions and the $$$ will come. The worst thing you can do, and I have certainly done it myself, is try to force things when you're card dead or know you're beaten. That's the way to fall off the edge of a cliff.
    • DonBartos
      DonBartos
      Platinum
      Gl sir, Ive played quite some 5cd too, but then pl. I think its a game which is great fun to play but I dont see much future in it since the 1-2$+ games are so filled with regs. Again speaking about the pl game, never really played fl. Except for 1 hit n run hand at $30-$60 haha.

Good luck sir.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Thanks DonBartos. That is my reasoning, too. I can't move up to 1/2$ anyway, I don't want to be cleaned out by jb :)

Well, patience is definitely not my virtue. I spent most of last night thinking about my dilemma. I decided to quit 5cd. Therefore, when I woke up this morning, the obvious thing to do was to play a session of 5cd. And I managed to book a winning session. 5BB over 200 hands is not bad in my book. Once again I was cold, but managed not to pay off people with pair/low two pair. Got dealt flushes twice, and got zero action. And that was on a table with 3 50/0 players. fml

I guess the jury is still out on what I'll be playing when I return from uni later, now I must be off.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      I played another session after uni, and after reviewed all the hands I played in 5cd. Almost 3000 now. I am way way down, but things are starting to pick up. I really played some hands poorly in the beginning, but actually was breaking even for that part.

Yesterday some bad play from me, but a few lucky spots for my opponents. The highlight is a guy that drew 2 in a capped pot, and turned over a flush (I had a straight pd).

Today I think I only had one hand where I played badly, and most of my money went to people who called me pd with draws and hit. In tonight's session there were 4 such spots. Also, none of my semi-bluffs pd, with various draws didn't connect, so I'm down there too. Hopefully it does all the good things to my image and I get called lighter in the future.

The main thing is that I'm up (a small bit, but up) for the day, so I might be doing something right.

Now I'm off to play some football (not fifa, real football), and then I'll look to play some more when I return. Nothing better then some physical work to get me in the mood for mental work.