fish question?

• 5 replies
    • PokerPirate1
      PokerPirate1
      Bronze
      I used to go to NL2 .80usd max Bi to chill out when on tilt and it sometimes ended me pushing ATC every hand :-D A harmless gamble, when you are used to have like 100 times more total on the tables. And it may become a bankroll booster for some random beginning pokerstrategist :o)

Now seriously, its safe to assume a range of QQ+ with a totally unknown player, but a known tilting fish might push something like any two pictures and pairs. Its rarely trash, but hard to guess any reasonable range for such guys. IMO it is, for variance sake, better to wait for clearer edges, unless you have a deep bankroll for your stakes. My humble experience ;)
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      what sort of fish is it? the question is pretty vague. there are many kinds out there, i don't believe there is a standard/ easy generalization for everyone. loose aggro vs loose passive fish for example are very different. what do his stats look like? and what limits are you playing?
    • stockyjock
      stockyjock
      Bronze
      i mean the kind that don't play a hand in any other way than just shipping it pre, iv'e encountered it a few times only and was wondering what a more experienced player could tell me what these players could have cos i don't wanna find out to my cost. is it aces and kings every time?

i like to play a couple of hours in the evening at at least £25 nl, i find that unless its at least these stakes i play bad and have no patience, it needs to mean a lot for me to try my best, a weakness i know but for me £50 nl really gets the adreanaline flowing nicely for an exciting game, theres no way i could play $2nl or anything unless i was at a table where the pots are small and i was just there to enjoy a relaxing game with no excitement.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi stockyjock,

Do you use the PokerStrategy.com Elephant at all? The HUD (Heads up display) will provide you with an indication of what % of hands each opponent is playing.

Obviously the less hands they're playing, the more likely they are only playing stronger hands.

PokerStrategy.com's Equilator or Equilab can also be used in after-game analysis (don't use these whilst you have the poker lobby open though) to determine the likely combination of opening hands.

You can set an opponent's range to say 5% and Equilator/Equilab will indicate the likely combination of opening hands for this range e.g. 77+, AJs+, AKo.
      Compare this to say:
      2%: JJ+ or
      20%: 55+, A3s+, K8s+, QTs+, A7o+, KTo+, QJo

Obviously, these only provide an indication and the opponent might be mixing it up or have a sudden rush of blood with 72o, but it's a useful tool to get a feel for players likely ranges.

Shout if you get stuck at all and we'll try to dig out some screenshots to guide you through it ;)

Best regards,

Bart
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've moved your thread to the appropriate board.

Ingrid