[NL20-NL50] NL50SH : Middle pair vs fish

• SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)  
      Position:
      Stack
      BU:
      $158.06
      Hero:
      $61.18
      CO:
      $50.75

0.25/0.50 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:heart: , 9:club:
      MP3 folds, CO raises to $2.00, BU calls $2.00, Hero calls $1.75, BB folds.

Flop: ($6.50) 7:diamond: , A:club: , 8:spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BU bets $2, Hero calls $2.00, CO folds.

Turn: ($10.50) 3:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $5, Hero calls $5.00.

River: ($20.50) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $6, Hero calls $6.00.

Final Pot: $32.50

Villain is 56/6 with AF 2.4
      Has been seen double/tripple barreling with air, draws and low pairs before.

What's wrong with the quotes/tags btw ?
  • 9 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hero calls at that place don´t usually are profitable. But his flop/turn/river bets were way too small to think that he has A or better.
      Not sure if he would hold there pp TT+
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      If he is loose and aggressive, your hand should play well against his range, so what about a squeeze play here? He hasn't raised, so his holding should be in the loose portion of his range. That would include a lot of hands that weren't overpairs, and didn't have an Ace.

In the end you have invested $15, so a raise to $10 preflop and showing some aggression might be better.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      If he is loose and aggressive, your hand should play well against his range, so what about a squeeze play here?
      squeeze play: when a LAG player raises preflop from early/middle position, and gets a caller. you then make a big raise. the LAG player is hard-pressed to call or reraise, because he is afraid of further action from the player who flatcalled him.

the flatcaller then is hardpressed to call also, because he is given horrible odds, and most likely (with 100BB deep stacks), some pretty shocking implied odds also. also, he could've been floating the LAG player with a wide range of hands, but doesn't fare nearly as well against you...

so here's my question about squeeze plays: is it profitable to do against opponents who really do not understand that they are being squeezed? i mean, if they don't realise that the person behind themselves can reraise...
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yeah, you're right, it is BU who is the LAG here.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      question remains though, is squeezeplay profitable against fish?
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Against a very loose fish, it must be, simply because you will dominate his range.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      ah but you add "deep stacked" and "building a massive pot out of position" with a pinch of "pot commitment" to that, whilst filtering out the "fold equity" and you have a recipe for disaster :P !
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      Against a very loose fish, it must be, simply because you will dominate his range.
      The worst part about this fish is his obvious barreling, that's why I actually want him in the hand and I'll play the calling station for any medium good hand. Sometimes he has me, more often than not, I still have him and I get good average value out of it...

Played 4 hands like this against him, here he had K8o f.i. and I got the best value out of a guy who plays like that. Sometimes he will have a better hand, but it seems to be more often than not that I win for a decent sized pot.
    • Thorsten77
      Thorsten77
      Black
      I like a squeeze play: vs. a fish you should not make it with trashy hands, as you get called to often and have to give up postflop. 99, however, is a strong hand and ahead of his range.