[NL2-NL10] NL sh 10: Protecting a set

• kesgab
      Titan No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05/$0.10 (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

SB ($8.20)
      BB ($2.97)
      MP2 ($9.95) (Hero)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q:spade: , Q:heart:
      Hero raises to 0.4, 3 folds, SB calls $0.35, BB calls $0.30,

Flop: 2:spade: , Q:diamond: , T:spade: ( $1.2 )
      SB bets $0.80 ($7.00 left), BB calls $0.80 ($1.77 left), Hero raises to $3.5,

I sometimes have problem how to protect my strong made hand against draws.

Here i hit the set with my queens on the flop and the board is drawy.
      A pot size raise would be about 5.4 if i am right. (It should be probably more, because the small stack BB with 1.77 left often calls allin making the pot bigger.)
      That would leave only 1.6 dollars left to SB so he would be commited and he probably realizes this if i make that bet. So an allin has mostly the same effect. I thought that based on protection i should probably push but i was not sure because i got redraw outs and wanted more money in the pot with my great hand and i didn't want him to fold. So i made a smaller raise that still commits me on every turn card so it doesn't set up difficult decision for me on the next street. But i still don't know what action maximizes my EV here.

I used pokerstove to see what equity do i have against draws, it's about 75% against a flush draw and it's still 70% against a flush draw with a gutshot.

It's not too easy - for me at least - to calculate the EVs of the two options here.

So what do you think? Push or a smaller raise is better here?
  • 1 reply
    • TribunCaesar
      Hi. You should try to maximize your winnings in such spots without violating protection. Both is important. So there is not "one" right decision. I would raise on the flop that much, that SB is commited if he calls. So i would choose a raisesize between 3.50 and 4.50.

best regards,