Something dodgy here?

• dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      So this guy has decent success at poker and he does this? what is going on, seriously starting the integrity of this site after this hand, Ive seen my fair share of bad beats but this is unbeliveable. There was no need for him to check/shove here. Dont think i can continue with this game after this!!! i mean its a $50 tourney!!!

Poker Stars $50+$1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds + t40 - 8 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (MP1): t5670 M = 9.15
      MP2: t2990 M = 4.82
      CO: t5928 M = 9.56
      BTN: t5885 M = 9.49
      SB: t2535 M = 4.09
      BB: t3340 M = 5.39
      UTG: t3090 M = 4.98
      UTG+1: t1930 M = 3.11

Pre Flop: (t620) Hero is MP1 with 9:heart: 9:spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to t440, 2 folds, BTN calls t440, 1 fold, BB calls t240

Flop: (t1740) 6:heart: 9:club: J:heart: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets t1044, BTN folds, BB raises to t2860 all in, Hero calls t1816

Turn: (t7460) Q:spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t7460) 5:club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t7460
      Hero shows 9:heart: 9:spade: (three of a kind, Nines)
      BB shows K:diamond: T:heart: (a straight, Nine to King)
      BB wins t7460

Hope hand history works
  • 8 replies
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      bluff with gutter gone wrong,

then extremely good,but still wrong.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Doesnt matter it $50 buyin or 50cent.

1. The guy thought u had A9 or AJ, so he is optimistic hitting the K, n u do not improve n he win.

2. He optimistic to hit his Q which is exremely luky to hit

3. Well sometimes weak player do have his lucky day, dont tell me u never win with luky hand

However in the long run u'll win more than him.

*But if i was u, i'll never bet so high/or i will only check after the flop with STR and Flush on the menu.
    • bullettooth1
      bullettooth1
      Bronze
      u played it right and just got unlucky. ive had worse bad beats than that many times. alot of people play in ways that seem ridiculous to us but u dont know what he was thinking or what he put u on. maybe he had a "feeling" which sometimes i do. and lets face it i bet you've sucked out a few times with speculative holdings.
      dont beat yourself up about it shit happens, its poker after all.
      good luck in future games.
    • GoGetSetup
      GoGetSetup
      Basic
      Hi all,

IMO...

I think the buy-in of $50 does make it much worse as at a $0.50 table you expect this kind of play by at least 30% of your table.

However, focusing on this hand/level, there is no doubt it was a bad play getting lucky which is sometimes "Just Poker" and like Justin said we all get lucky from time to time. I am unsure why he would play this hand so badly and the only reasons I can think is that you'd played a lot of previous hands in a similar way and he was just getting fed up and thought he'd test you (With his tournement life ?( ) or he felt you'd just paired the board and that his overcards had a chance.

Either way, a big risk and a bad play and I can sympathise with your annoyance but on the positive side you were still in the tournement and had a stack which you could rebuild, you also had a read on this guy and could potentially use it to your advantage (assuming he doesn't just get lucky again)

Difficult I know, but, the worst thing you could do is go on TILT
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Or maybe he thought your bet was just a continuation bet? What I'd like to know is:

- what did you think he had when he shoved?
      - if, for whatever reason, you had checked the flop and then BB shoved on the turn, would you still have called?

Also, I assume you meant "starting to question the integrity of this site". I think it would be more useful if you started to question whether you actually like games that have an inherent luck factor. There's always chess. And Justin's right, the buyin is irrelevant because $50 may be a lot of money to you but to him it's probably peanuts. (And if it is a lot of money to you, maybe you shouldn't be using it for poker.)
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've moved your thread to the appropriate board.

Ingrid
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      yeah i guess i kinda took that badly last night...just got to me how that hand went down..ended up getting put out 2 hands later when i check/shoved top pair good kicker, 2nnd pair called and rivered 2 pair, poker is fun!!
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      I skimmed though your blog after replying and I realised you already know all the answers to tilt and bad beats. So just keep your cool and don't risk any money you're really going to miss.

And remember, bad players exist at all buyins ("bad" is relative anyway) and you should be happy they exist, even if you have to pay them off occasionally.