What did I do wrong?

• KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      So in a live freeroll tournament last night I woke up with pocket Aces on the dealer button blinds 300-600.

I raise to 1800. SB Calls, BB Calls.

Board shows:

Flop: 5/9/J (rainbow)

SB Checks
      BB Checks

I bet 1600

SB Folds, BB calls

Turn: 5

BB Checks

I bet 3000

River 8

BB Checks

I check

BB shows 10/7 off.

I show A/A.

BB wins with straight to J.

BB committed ~60% to chase 4 outer.

What did I do wrong?

I got over it though (luckily I still had 18k behind which helped) and ended up playing some great poker.

I ended up bubbling the final table while this guy went on the final table. Don't know the results cause I left.
  • 4 replies
    • hamid88
      hamid88
      Bronze
      You'll always meet idiots who throw most of their stack chasing a 3 outter and you can't do much if they suck out.

Good example of this is the WSOP main event, the hand between that brazilian guy with the huge flag around him and the youngster, forgetting his name. It was the hand before the break, where he was chasing that belly buster and fired all streets but got lucky on the river. Say he hadn't hit his 3 outter, he basically would've given away more than two thirds of his stack chasing a the belly buster. Terrible play.

Point is, It's not always that you did something wrong. Sometimes you'll do everything correct but in the end you'll get sucked out on and lose.
    • Luckyroll
      Luckyroll
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      So in a live freeroll tournament last night I woke up with pocket Aces on the dealer button
      That premise was hillarious I am sorry, I just picture you dozing off in a live tournament (freeroll) drooling over your stack and wakeing up and looking at your aces.
      I get it now, you were playing one of those 10000-sized-field tournaments whose 1st prize is a 11$ satellite to the WPT.

I have listed your mistakes.

1st) joining this tournament, time would be better spent at reading some poker articles, sunbathing, playing with real money, or looking for nickels at your local fountain.

2) Not posting all information for analysis, you missed suits, and stack sizes.

3) and least important of all, you played the aces a bit too weak, I can't see if the flop was multicoloured, but still it appears you have bet less than 1/3 of the pot.

In all seriousness your mistake probably had no effect, you had a huge edge to win this hand and your opponent was lucky, don't worry too much about this, it will always happen, but it will hapen less if you play your overpair a bit stronger, especially if they are aces. This is even truer if you have been aggressive preflop, so don't worry about chasing them away, bet at least half of the pot if you raised preflop.

Mind to correct me anyone.
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Luckyroll
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      So in a live freeroll tournament last night I woke up with pocket Aces on the dealer button
      That premise was hillarious I am sorry, I just picture you dozing off in a live tournament (freeroll) drooling over your stack and wakeing up and looking at your aces.
      I get it now, you were playing one of those 10000-sized-field tournaments whose 1st prize is a 11$ satellite to the WPT.

I have listed your mistakes.

1st) joining this tournament, time would be better spent at reading some poker articles, sunbathing, playing with real money, or looking for nickels at your local fountain.

2) Not posting all information for analysis, you missed suits, and stack sizes.

3) and least important of all, you played the aces a bit too weak, I can't see if the flop was multicoloured, but still it appears you have bet less than 1/3 of the pot.

In all seriousness your mistake probably had no effect, you had a huge edge to win this hand and your opponent was lucky, don't worry too much about this, it will always happen, but it will hapen less if you play your overpair a bit stronger, especially if they are aces. This is even truer if you have been aggressive preflop, so don't worry about chasing them away, bet at least half of the pot if you raised preflop.

Mind to correct me anyone.
      Hahah no no. This is a live tournament in the Australian Poker League (APL).

They have many tournaments throughout the week, free rolls and buy ins. The prize pool was 250 with first place grabbing 150, 2nd 70 and 3rd 30.

2) I didn't post the suits cause there was no potential flush draw except for runner. At the start of the hand I had ~21,000 chips in play, he had ~13,000.

3) I guess so. One lady commented that I "slow played" my aces which ticked me off a bit. I should have tried to end it on the flop I guess because it is a possibility someone could hold Q10 but I thought my 3000 bet on the turn should have been an end to it really.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hello KozakFB,

I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

All the best,

NIVEKii