[NL2-NL10] NL4, Thin value on the River?

• Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $3.98
      BB:
      $3.5
      Hero:
      $4.45

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.105 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5:diamond: , 5:club:
      3 folds, Hero calls $0.04, 3 folds, SB calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.12) A:spade: , 4:spade: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.09, Hero calls $0.09, SB calls $0.09.

Turn: ($0.39) 6:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.39) 2:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero...

The flush draw completed on the turn, but are they ever checking it twice if they hit it? Having said that is the apparent opponent weakness just a sign I won't get a call with a bet from worse hands?
  • 3 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      It's not really thin value here. There's no way villain is checking the river with a completed flush. What we can view it as is "pseudo" thin value. Where we make a bet looking like thin value because you know there's only a very narrow range that he calls a bet with. However at NL4 i'm really not sure players are thinking about if you're repping thin value or not. But they do think about bet sizes and are automatically inclined to call smaller bets than larger ones.

So if you think villain won't call the river with much, you can go ahead and bet small here. However I think if he has Ax (Definitely in his range) he will call a normal sized bet. I think that's about teh only thing in his range that he's calling a river bet with after the action so far. I don't think he has a set or 2 pair as they would bet at least the turn or the river.
    • Scooney
      Scooney
      Bronze
      How the hand played out:

River: ($0.39) 2 (3 players) (Comment)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.28, SB raises to $1.22, BB folds, Hero calls $0.94.

Final Pot: $2.83

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows (5d 5c)
      SB shows a flush, ace high (Js 2s)

SB wins with a flush, ace high (Js 2s)

I made the call because, like you, I thought there was no way he was checking the completed flush on the river. Meh.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Well that's just awful play by him tbh. I'd have made that call as well because a river c/r after the turn has been checked through just looks so bluffy. UL, gg wp :D