[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #5 25.10.11

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from Oct 25, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Tuesday, November 1 at 6 pm GMT.

Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($21.62)
      Hero ($10.83)
      CO ($12.37)
      BTN ($15.65)

Dealt to Hero J:heart: A:heart:

fold, BTN raises to $0.40, fold, Hero calls $0.30

FLOP ($0.85) J:spade: 8:heart: 2:club:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

TURN ($1.85) J:spade: 8:heart: 2:club: 3:spade:

Hero bets $1.05, BTN folds

Hero shows J:heart: A:heart:

Hero wins $1.76

19/17/3
      steal from BTN 63 (8)
      fold to 3bet 33 (3)
      hands 96

I choose not to 3bet, because I don't have much information about him how does he react to 3bet, but I am sure I am ahead of his stealing range, so I call.

On flop, I just call, becasue probalby only weaker jack can call me, but many of those jacks should fold. But by this play I am putting myself in trouble if ovrcards appear on other streets, and they kill the action.

On turn I chose to bet becasue I don't expect him to bet with weaker hand and I want to get value from those hands and also to protect.
  • 5 replies
    • karbonade123
      karbonade123
      Silver
      1. 3bet pre flop because we are OOP and its 4 hended. and without initiative its hard to play profitable.
      2. check/call flop is fine
      3. I prefer check/call turn because with check we can induce bluff with T9 or some 8x hends. and he can value bet Jx hends. and on river check/call to avoid 3bet.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      I suggest to make little changes there - choose the hands from somewhere else, not from coaching, because if you were in the coaching and heard all the analisis, then its not interesting to repeat the same things.

Also maybe it would be even better if we could post evaluations anonimously and only after deadline others could see them, because again, if you read and agree with everything, then its no point to repeat. Also thinkings of others might affect your thinking. Of course one solution is just not read the evalutions of others, until you write your own evaluation.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      I suggest to make little changes there - choose the hands from somewhere else, not from coaching, because if you were in the coaching and heard all the analisis, then its not interesting to repeat the same things.

Also maybe it would be even better if we could post evaluations anonimously and only after deadline others could see them, because again, if you read and agree with everything, then its no point to repeat. Also thinkings of others might affect your thinking. Of course one solution is just not read the evalutions of others, until you write your own evaluation.
      We gonna take that in handy, we will have an improved homework for the next week. :) Thanks for the idea!
    • chocular77
      chocular77
      Bronze
      At first i was going to say that a 3B for value should be fine since he has a wide stealrange and calls with weaker hands.

But Villain seems solid from his stats and the sample size on F3B is just to small for to get any conclusions from it and it should be better to test his reactions to 3B with something like a SC or small pp since you can throw them away to a 4B.
      So on second thought i would also call preflop.

Flop play seems fine, keep in his weaker hands just c/c.

Turn:
      I also think he would only checkbehind with weaker hands, since he maybe goes for potcontrol on this board with weaker Jx, so a bet should be fine.
      If he is a opponent who can fire multiple barrels i would c/c again and bet ~1/2 on river.

Edit: I'm on Speedfanatics side, we already can get influenced by your evaluation in the coaching so other hands should be better. And i'm also not reading the above evaluations so they don't affect mine.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: Well, actually against a tighter stealing range I'd really rather Call than 3bet. If we do 3bet then most likely we will get called by only better hands and then often times makes mistakes postflop.
      Postflop: Well, I do like the idea of Check/Call the flop and donk the turn but what I don't like is the bet size on turn. Which really has to be bigger rather than making it so smallish, I'd bet ~$1,40 or something similar. You are giving very good odds if he even has a draw.

Best Regards.