Slowplayed K/K against my J/J

• KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      So I'm playing a 10 handed SNG

UTG calls

folded around to me with J/J, I shove, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls with K/K.

UTG is playing loose aggressive, making lose calls from anywhere including early and middle position...

How do I prevent these things?
  • 13 replies
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      how to prevent being dealt coolers?? hmm, send $10 to player PKRISFIXED every day for one month
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Would you say my play was correct though?

Even on the button I did second guess because of the UTG limp but he had just been playing way too lose for me to not assume shove as the proper action.
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      what were the stack sizes? yours and his?
      What were the blinds?

Theres nothing wrong in going all in with JJ very late in the tournament if you are short stacked or if your are with a big stack and the blinds + UTG were smaller stacked
      but early stages its a big no no. Just raise 4 times BB. and see. And if he reraises then its pretty strong.

Just move on to the next tournament
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      If he has like 7 bbs and limps, it's a trap.

unless he's playing like a monkey and folds to a shove.... That's the beauty of being loose aggressive, you get action on your big hands as people put you on a wide range of hands. If he was as aggressive as you say he was, JJ > his range of playable hands.
    • deezer79
      deezer79
      Bronze
      IMO if you have 15BB or less then you have no choice but to shove in that spot. Not much you can do about getting coolered there. By "loose/aggressive" do you mean that he would raise and continue with moderate hands? If he'd usually raise UTG then just calling so early may ring alarm bells but can't see you did anything wrong there. Limping early doesn't make that a good play by that guy, I would imagine a raise would have elicited a shove from you (depending on your stack) anyway. Unlucky.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KozakFB

UTG calls

UTG is playing loose aggressive, making lose calls from anywhere including early and middle position...

You need to understand, that without telling us the stack sizes, blind levels and blind increase rate we can't tell you much.

All I can say in hindsight is if you are playing against a limping LAG, you should definetly check his limp% with your hud, because their limping is not something they're usually do, meaning that it can easily be a trap.
    • clydePHP
      clydePHP
      Bronze
      if youre opponent is bad lag he will slow play monsters! since he limps alot and in that hand your objective was to steal the blinds theres no way youll get away with this hand or if you can fold JJ to a 3bet all in ,raise big but if he went all in fold but i think this is a tough play

post stack sizes it will be easier
    • CheckBop
      CheckBop
      Bronze
      silly play imo
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tarhonya
      Originally posted by KozakFB

UTG calls

You need to understand, that without telling us the stack sizes, blind levels and blind increase rate we can't tell you much.

All I can say in hindsight is if you are playing against a limping LAG, you should definetly check his limp% with your hud, because their limping is not something they're usually do, meaning that it can easily be a trap.
      I'm not a 9/10man sng player by any means. But i do play quite LAG. if i have an agressive image i'd however never be limping my premium hands. Building up an agressive image so people call you lighter and then limping your premium hands makes no sense at all. Unless there are other LAG behind me who always attack limpers.

In general i'd be limping some hands with potential but that you don't really want to build a big pot with preflop. Like suited connectors, low pocket pairs, maybe some suited one gappers.

Take a note that he limps premium hands (BIG LEAK if you ask me)and just 3bet him a lot preflop.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      Take a note that he limps premium hands (BIG LEAK if you ask me)and just 3bet him a lot preflop.
      It depends on the spot.. For example if there's a shortstack in blinds who tends to shove (if it goes like you limp, everyone folds to sb who limps and then he shoves) or someone who is raising limps a lot, then it can even be +ev. I wouldnt definitely say that it's a big leak, not at all. Obv sometimes its not gonna work and you'll play vs. 5 people, but that can happen even if you make a raise.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alficor1
      Originally posted by Hahaownedlolz
      It depends on the spot.. For example if there's a shortstack in blinds who tends to shove (if it goes like you limp, everyone folds to sb who limps and then he shoves) or someone who is raising limps a lot, then it can even be +ev. I wouldnt definitely say that it's a big leak, not at all. Obv sometimes its not gonna work and you'll play vs. 5 people, but that can happen even if you make a raise.

Always exceptions to the rule. Both pretty much fall under what i said. Which was basically: when it's really likely someone is going to raise behind you if you limp then could be good.

If you always limp your premium hands then that is very easily abuse able. Not many people do that or atleast not without adjusting.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Take a note of his play, and then carry on playing :)
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      He slowrolled you NASTY!