Has poker reached bottom yet?

• JBCD71
      JBCD71
      Global
      We are far from the days of when Chris Moneymaker won the WSOP Main Event in 2003.Poker had jumped to stardom and looked like it had only upwards to go through the stratosphere.Now we are in the present time of Poker and we are in a totally different world.I tend to look at the situation of Poker right now and see its been hit hard by scandal after scandal and so many other negative things ,i lost track.The question always seems to pop up ...Has Poker reached bottom yet? Will there be some other scandal start to brew up.Well the last three years tells me to not be surprised.I tend to wanna stay positive and wonder WHO IS THE NEXT Chris Moneymaker? Is he out there? Can he be the Poker Saviour?.Love to think so in a perfect world.The truth is ...it may be sometime before we see that happen,especially in todays climate and economy.Who knows if we are lucky.....maybe in the next two or three years we just may see another Poker boom and even bigger this time...haha..lol.Just like everyone didnt expect it back in the day when Chris Moneymaker won.Keeping my fingers crossed.See you at the tables JBCD71 AKA Johnny ACES Cabral.
  • 24 replies
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      If online poker is legalised in the US I think a boom could occur. Also, I heard some stories of people trying to allow advertising of online poker in the US when/if it gets legalised, this will bring a lot of new players to the game.

However, I very much doubt poker has reached the bottom. Scandals and scams will always be a part of the poker world because a lot of people will do anything for a quick payday.

Some could say it reached the bottom a long time ago though when there were cheating syndicates in Vegas, Devilfish had to take a gun to his regular games and other shady activity :)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      poker is booming in developing countries. This is the beginning.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      It's reached my bottom, I'm playing like an arse lately.
    • subscriber
      subscriber
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      It's reached my bottom, I'm playing like an arse lately.
      +1
    • RDKNAUF91
      RDKNAUF91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      I hope u r right :)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      india and SEA is booming pokerwise. google it and you will see.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      I'm in SEA and I can confirm that poker is booming here. 5 years ago, none know how to play poker. I mean NONE -- 0%.

Now, about 40% of my friend know how to play it. Thanks to facebook :)
      By the way, they do not take it seriously. They perceived poker as one of facebook's game. They do not know PS, FTP, William Hills, etc.
    • Quadzzzzzzz
      Quadzzzzzzz
      Bronze
      The games are at their toughest levels ever though?
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      India and other asian countries will bring mostly nits and TAGs, the game will change for the worse.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      just because someone is a TAG , doesn't mean they are good.

Its easy to profit from a bad TAG. your revenue just comes from preflop $ rather than postflop $.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      India and other asian countries will bring mostly nits and TAGs, the game will change for the worse.
      I dont think so.

Maybe some of us will be more reluctant to go up through limit because lower limit is suitable for our hourly income (we have lower standard living/income compared to european), but we will be more willing to gamble. Chinese etnic know to be a gambler. Gamble is religion for us :)

JFY, there are a quite high % of my friend betting on football on sportbetting site regularly because gamble is prohibited here (offline. the gov dont care about online yet). I try to convince them but they dont interested to poker because "it simply not for me because I need to think to play this game. its not gambing game" :)
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Tell them they DON'T need to think in poker and thinking is for suckers! Tell them they can go all in every hand if they want and that it is fun.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      just because someone is a TAG , doesn't mean they are good.

if they can learn to playe preflop, then why not they can learn to play postflop as well?

One thing I heard is similar with indian programmers - there are lots of them, who do the jobs cheaper. So you can think - you must be a better programeer in if you live in expensive country so you can charge customers more. I am talking about freelancers (jobs at offices are well payed in rich countries). But my friend says that many people don't trust indians, they can do the task cheaply, but its bad quality mostly.

So then there is a hope, that they also might play bad quality poker. Of course programming is not the same as poker, but has simalirities - in programming you have to think logically, and in poker you have to do that as well.

I haven't worked with indians myself, so I cannot say its 100% true, but I say what my friend, who is programer, says.
    • TarmoK
      TarmoK
      Bronze
      Indeed.
      And just wait untul people there get pc-s.
      Poker isnt near bottom.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TarmoK
      Indeed.
      Poker isnt near bottom.
      This is misunderstanding.

-The number of pc with internet access in (for example) India > in Finland
      -The number of person with income/year $50k or more in India > in Finland
      -The number of person playing poker online in India << in Finland

So India could be a potential market for poker in future. The same case for China and SEA
    • furculision
      furculision
      Bronze
      why are you asking us?

ask poker.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by patszerdonk
      Originally posted by TarmoK
      Indeed.
      Poker isnt near bottom.
      This is misunderstanding.

-The number of pc with internet access in (for example) India > in Finland
      -The number of person with income/year $50k or more in India > in Finland
      -The number of person playing poker online in India << in Finland

So India could be a potential market for poker in future. The same case for China and SEA
      the % population that has an internet connection in india is MINISCULE.

the % population of india that owns their own PC is smaller still!
    • clawindsouza
      clawindsouza
      Bronze
      very true...poker is booming in India...more and more players are beginning to play...
    • Maniatrix
      Maniatrix
      Bronze
      Yay, more micro grinders trying to eek a living off poker, just what we need. Stars should set minimum limit on cashgames at 25nl and maximum tables at 6, that would be good for poker.