The Last of the International Playboys (Poker Edition)

• clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Hey guys and girls!

I thought it was about time that I started a blog here. Everyone else has one and I feel like I am lurking in the shadows too much. I need to get out there and play with the other boys and girls more.

Sooo a bit about me. I'm 30 years old. I have been playing poker for a few years but only in the last 3 months have I been taking it seriously. I got my $50 from poker strategy ages ago and blew it pretty quickly before I tried to learn anything. This time I decided to start from nothing so I would value my BR more. So I played free rolls on party poker until I had enough to grind a few tables at a time. After a while I moved my roll to poker stars and I set myself a target of moving up one limit each month on FR cash games. First month was fine. Second month I started NL5 and after one day of run good I blew 1/4 of my BR because I thought people were always trying to bluff me. So month 2 I spent building back up for a shot at NL5. That went fine in this my third month and I even moved up to NL10 for the last part of this month once my BR reached $250.

I even decided to invest some money from out with my BR to get some coaching from Veriz. I am sure you will be able to see from my graph for this month when his coaching kicked in :) I have the end of my coaching with him still to come but I thought I would wait to get settled in NL10 before I had the rest of it. I would really recommend him to any micro players out there who want to move up the limits more quickly. Just think of it as an investment. It will save you time and money in the long run.

So I am ready for the proper start of my NL25 month and I am already ahead of schedule since I started playing NL10 and so far it is going well. My BR currently stands at $367.65 and I am committed to playing about 1000 hands per day with only a few days off per month.

My graph for this month on poker stars both NL5 FR and NL10 FR

As halloween is coming up I thought I would share my costume from last year. Still not sure what I am going to wear this year..

• 42 replies
    • 6MaxGrinder
      6MaxGrinder
      Bronze
      Good luck! :D
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Not really a very interesting hand but certainly one I thought I could have played better. . Any thoughts? Considering he had nothing at the end maybe I couldn't have made any more from him.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $41.97
      CO:
      $30.19

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q:heart: , 9:heart:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.25, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.55) Q:spade: , 9:diamond: , 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.26, Hero raises to $0.80, CO calls $0.54.

Turn: ($2.15) 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.55, CO calls $1.55.

River: ($5.25) J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $5, Hero calls $5.00.

Final Pot: $15.25

Results follow (highlight to see):
      CO shows (Ad 4d)
      Hero shows two-pair, queens and nines (Qh 9h)

Hero wins with two-pair, queens and nines (Qh 9h)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello clandestineAl,

Cool, ya opened a blog! Wish ya luck.

How is NL10 running? :) Treating you well?

Best Regards.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      weeee! welcome to our blog section. this is where the cool guys hang out obviously :D you need to put some non-poker blog entries in here. teach the young uns about the womens :coolface:

also have you met the TheShade? he just loves redheads. :f_biggrin:
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Thanks for the welcome guys and gals. Yes it's going well so far Veriz, all thanks to you. Running about 13BB/100 just now. I'm going to start playing one or two MTTs on sundays now as way to mix things up a bit.

Non poker related things? You mean people do other things other than poker??? I'm moving some place tropical in the next couple of weeks so I will hopefully have lots of things to update then.

I remember seeing in another blog on here that someone was going to get a pet polar bear. Who was it? Twice T maybe? Well I am calling him out. Prop bet as to who gets their exotic pet first. Well I am going to get a pet peacock. Does anyone else have one? I couldn't have one here in Scotland as it would die from the cold or alcohol poisoning.

So as featured in this picture. Top tip for getting a woman or a peahen. Put some food on the ground and then sneak up behind the women while she is eating.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clandestineAl
      Top tip for getting a woman or a peahen. Put some food on the ground and then sneak up behind the women while she is eating.
      Smoooooth! I will try this with mrsjb and report back.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Top tip for getting a woman or a peahen. Put some food on the ground and then sneak up behind the women while she is eating.
      Smoooooth! I will try this with mrsjb and report back.
      :f_biggrin:

maybe you meant the philippine crew? theyve got a tiger.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      I just played in an MTT and cashed 426th out of 7355 after about an hour and a half. I think I played about 12 hands. If this is what it is going to be like every sunday I might have to give up my MTT plans and just keep playing cash. It was so boring. What is the secret to making it more enjoyable? Or is it only enjoyable due to the big pay day it could bring?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I just played in an MTT and cashed 426th out of 7355 after about an hour and a half. I think I played about 12 hands. If this is what it is going to be like every sunday I might have to give up my MTT plans and just keep playing cash. It was so boring. What is the secret to making it more enjoyable? Or is it only enjoyable due to the big pay day it could bring?
      Add more MTTs. :D
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Thanks for the top tip Veriz :) Then I can play 24 hands in 1 and a half hours :)

Just played a little bit today but then the tables really dried up. It's really annoying sometimes having so many small stacks at the table. You wait for ages to get a good table and then 5 minutes later it has 5 small stacks on it. How does everyone else combat this?

Interesting hand from today...

I can only imagine he plays it this way with a flush draw. Well if he had fired again on the turn I would have been in a tough spot and I think I would have had to have folded it. Maybe he calls with AQo. I know I sometimes do. Should I have got it all in on the flop to protect against a flush. Could he have played it this way with Kx of spades hand?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10
      CO:
      $10.27

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K:club: , Q:club:
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.35, 2 folds, CO calls $0.35, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.85) A:spade: , K:diamond: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.65, CO raises to $1.50, Hero calls $0.85.

Turn: ($3.85) 7:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($3.85) 6:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.83, CO folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.85

I have kind of stolen this idea from grummelers bankroll building blog. I hope he doesn't mind. Tomorrow I start my first proper full month on NL10 and I am already excited about hopefully getting to NL25 before the end of the month. Just $250.41 to go...

This session:
      Hands played: 170
      $ won: $13.65
      tables: 4
      VPIP: 15.3
      PFR: 14.7
      3bet: 4%
      AF: 7.6
      WTS: 27.3%
      W$@SD: 66.7%
      BB/100: 80.29

This month:
      hands played: 24313
      limits played: NL5 FR, NL10 FR
      $ won: $199.76
      BB/100: 10.63

Current Bankroll on Stars: $374.59

A few more pictures of me in costume for halloween...

enter the ninja

Halloween 2009
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Didn't play very well today. I was firing with nothing on the turn too many times OOP. I need to get out of that bad habit. My cbet is at 100% so I need to get this down too. I should have ended this session with around $20+ so I need to tighten up my play again. I think my game on NL10 is pretty good when I am playing properly. I maybe need to start playing 6 tables to stop playing stupid hands. I am for sure getting better though.

A hand when I fired on the turn when I shouldn't have. I think my cbet is standard

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $11.41
      MP2:
      $13.19
      CO:
      $7.5

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:diamond: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, CO checks, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, MP2 calls $0.50, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.25) A:heart: , 9:club: , 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.9, MP2 calls $0.90.

Turn: ($3.05) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.35, MP2 calls $2.35.

River: ($7.75) T:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $9.34 (All-In), Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

Final Pot: $7.75

This session:
      Hands played: 973
      $ won: $11.17
      tables: 4
      VPIP: 12.6
      PFR: 10.3
      3bet: 7%
      AF: 3.3
      WTS: 17.7%
      W$@SD: 78.6%
      BB/100: 11.48

This month:
      hands played: 973
      limits played: NL10 FR
      $ won: $11.17
      BB/100: 11.48

Current Bankroll on Stars: $371.76

This should actually be $385.76 but I transferred $14 to my poor wee donk of a mother who bust the last bank roll I gave to her.

I have got into watching Mad Men and I stumbled upon this future Mrs. ClandestineaAl. Why don't women dress like this any more???

• jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your blog. I hate you because it's funnier than my blog, but I hate you in a friendly, collegiate way. Keep it coming.

jb
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      Where from Scotland r u?
      And the polar bear guy was Shevshenko if I remember correctly
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      I hate you too JB :)

@The Shade
      I live just outside Glasgow at the moment. Have you been to Scotland before? It's a horrible place. I'm going somewhere tropical in a few weeks though so I can handle it for now. I had a look at your blog. I think we have a similar taste in women
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      Haven`t been there yet but I want to study there :D

Redheads? :f_cool:
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      I like the crazy evil redheads. What university do you want to go to?
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      Every red-head is crazy ;) :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:

Abertay,Dundee (my main choice) and 2nd choice form Scotland was Glasgow Caledonian.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Originally posted by THESHade
      Every red-head is crazy ;) :f_love: :f_love: :f_love:

Abertay,Dundee (my main choice) and 2nd choice form Scotland was Glasgow Caledonian.
      I would go for Glasgow, Edinburgh or even Aberdeen if I were you. Not much to do in Dundee I'm afraid
    • THESHade
      THESHade
      Bronze
      buuut they have the best course in my field so if they take me I am going there + Glasgow and Edinbur are jsut half an hour away anyway. That`s shorter than my travel time to my high school :D
      AND EBST PART IS, its fokking free :D Weee, I love recession :D