Ghartman: Homework Lesson 8

• Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

To make money from a game I truly love. The first day I learnt the game around 5 years ago, I ended up playing online from 7pm the day before until 7am the next morning non-stop. Since then I've played mainly micro-low cash stakes and a few low buy in tournaments on most of the major poker sites with mixed success. However, the harsh lessons I've learnt, the experiences I've had and the knowledge I've gained from playing thousands of hands I feel are invaluable in terms of my continued development. Now I've taken the the decision to completely deconstruct my game and start from scratch as if a novice, in order to analyse all of my flaws and correct them if I can. I feel, in all honesty, that I do have a good feel for the game, my reading abilities, value-bet sizing and situational decision making are generally good but I have a number of flaws too (see question 2) which I hope to address.

To answer the question though, I liken it to being a footballer. Playing every week and getting paid well if you're good enough. It's a psychological battle every hand, so much more than just a game of cards. A truly unique game and I love it!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Ok, this is a tough one! I've never really dissected my game but here goes:

1) Tilt of course, but not open tilt with me making stupid all-ins or clear errors, more a progressive type that causes me to make a lot of smaller, uncharacteristic errors that seem to add up to sometimes bad losses, after a number of bad beats.

2) Chasing draws.

3) Getting too attached to big hands even when all the signs tell me to fold!

4) Bad timing. Making squeeze plays or risky bluffs at the wrong times (although I must admit that a fair amount do work!) for big losses

5) Fearlessness sometimes bordering on stupidity. If my turn bluff-bet doesn't work 'My river bluff WILL always work', no it won't.....read the signs and let it go.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tight Aggressive play describes playing a smaller range of hands comprising of the top 5-10% of hands ie AA, KK, QQ, AK etc.... A Tight Aggressive player won't play too many hands but when they do they bet their hands aggressively, forcing their opponents to commit large amounts to a pot and make big decisions if they wish to continue in the hand.

This style of poker works because someone who plays Tight Aggressive gives themselves the best chance of winning because their hands are among the strongest one can have. By betting aggressively, big pots can be built and, if successful in the hand, the pay-offs can be large. The downside is that you may have to sit out a number of hands while you wait for your big hands and, when you do enter a pot, people may fold because you have created a tightish looking image at the table.

This is all very interesting and new to me so I hope I've done everything right? I welcome all feedback and contributions from the community and hope to hear from you guys here in the forum.

Thanks a lot

Ghartman
  • 26 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the other weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Thanks for your input veriz. It's kind of weird starting from scratch again having played online for a few years now, but I have clear leaks and need to completely rebuild my game. I'll pick some good hands from my database and post them up on the forums asap.

PS veriz, I play mainly short-handed 6 Max tables. Are your strategy tips aimed at mainly bigger table games or does it not really matter?

Thanks
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Ghartman
      Thanks for your input veriz. It's kind of weird starting from scratch again having played online for a few years now, but I have clear leaks and need to completely rebuild my game. I'll pick some good hands from my database and post them up on the forums asap.

PS veriz, I play mainly short-handed 6 Max tables. Are your strategy tips aimed at mainly bigger table games or does it not really matter?

Thanks
      Well, doesn't really matter. We are talking about overall. 6max is just more aggressive play. :)
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      No problem veriz, I'm a bit confused as to what I do now though? Do I move on to Lesson 2 or do I continue watching the poker coaching tutorials for the Lesson 1 course. I'm not in a rush and I'm prepared to take as long as necessary to improve my game. Let me know.

Thanks
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Ghartman
      No problem veriz, I'm a bit confused as to what I do now though? Do I move on to Lesson 2 or do I continue watching the poker coaching tutorials for the Lesson 1 course. I'm not in a rush and I'm prepared to take as long as necessary to improve my game. Let me know.

Thanks
      You can start whenever you want your Lesson 2 when you are ready with 1st one. :) The Coaching ain't a must. :) Attend whenever you have time for it.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Answer: I play 6-Max tables as standard, there is a lot more action and the pace is far more aggressive. I personally have found that the Starting Hands Chart (SHC), although excellent for teaching beginners not to get involved in marginal hands from out of position, is not so much suited for short-handed tables as much as for 8-10man tables. I say this because you have to fold a lot of hands like AQ, KJ suited and Ace-Small suited to 1 raise. In a short-handed cash game, playing hands like these in certain situations can and have been for me, quite profitable. I must admit that I am getting a lot less involved in situations that I was getting in trouble with before and also the Call-20 rule has been excellent for me, for that I thank the SHC, but I feel that you could loosen up some of the more premium hands a little in certain situations ie against a loose opponent.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Answer: I have adjusted my bet sizing pre-flop very much since I began with pokerstrategy.com . I was betting too small pre-flop and pricing people and giving enticing pot-odds to people who were eventually drawing-out on me eg:

NL4 Too Big a Turn Raise?

I am now betting a lot bigger both pre and post flop due to these slight adjustments to my game.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Answer: Using a poker equity calculator, I calculated that the the equity of AK against 5% top range is 46.2%.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

In SH games you really have to adjust the ranges and overall game-style according the opponents. Also I totally agree with your given points here. But of course I'd advice you also to watch out for exactly those hands as AJ+/KJ+, especially off-suited ones which are usually overplayed by Calling. There may be a lot of spots where it might be even better idea to squeeze or just 3bet/Fold. But obviously those kind of spots we gonna find out with hand posting which you already started. :)

Small tip for you that actually the more confident you get in your play you might even adjust the Call20 rule to even less, everything according the opponent.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Thanks for the input veriz, much appreciated.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Answer: Using Equilab, I find my preflop equity with KQ against 33 to be:

48.75%

After the flop of J53, this changes to:

3.72%

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJc
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2c 6d 3d (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5c (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Answer: Technically I only have have 7 clean outs discounting the 6c & 3c which could give villain a full house. It is unlikely that an Ace or Jack will improve us. We know 6 cards so 46:7 gives us outs odds of around 6.5:1 . All in we are being offered to pay 0.22 to win a pot of 0.91 and pot odds of around 4:1. So we are not getting the right price to make the call and are supposed to fold.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I posted these:

nl4 Should I bet this River?

nl4 A Bad River Call?

NL 4 Straight Draw & Paired Ace Fold?

Hopefully I've done ok with this homework. I'm still a little confused as to what coaching course I am supposed to be following veriz, it seems I've missed some important days already, so let me know which days I should tune in please veriz.

Thanks a lot
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

The 3rd Week coaching is I guess one of the hardest. :) A lot of math involved. If you even don't understand everything then don't worry, we will make it understandable with time.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Thanks for the input coach! Yeah, I didn't specify the suits in equilab which is why my calculations were a bit off I think.

About Question 2, I suppose I took the over cautious route. In all honesty, I would make the call myself but I was looking at the hand mathematically. Don't we need at least 5:1 pot odds to make a flush draw call? I may be wrong. Wouldn't it also be a bit dangerous not to discount some outs in this situation?

Anyhow, I'm a bit disappointed in my lesson 3 performance but I will read the questions properly before answering.

Thanks
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Don't we need at least 5:1 pot odds to make a flush draw call? I may be wrong.

For flush draw we need 4:1 odds. You can use this chart and even print it out if you want: Odds Chart
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

Ok, I've posted a few hand evaluations in the forums where I have the initiative here:

nl 4 Should I bet the Turn for Value?

nl4 Should I bet this River?

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Ok, here are some evaluations by me:

A9s battle of the blinds

Right play on the river: bet/fold?

veriz, you were in too quick on the marking on all the other evaluations so I couldn't get a fresh one lol!

Question 3: You are on the flop with KsQd. The board cards are Js, 9c, 8h, and your opponent holds 7c7h. What is your equity in this spot?

Using Equilab, I've calculated the equity to be:

Board: 8:heart: J:spade: 9:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hoping I've done everything ok on this homework, I'm looking to ace this course!! Let me know veriz.

Thanks
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

LoLz @ too fast. :D Usually I am trying to keep some hands but somehow today I am hyper-active again. :D But I guess going to be away for some hours, need to study for Uni. :(

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

Answer: I posted this hand today. I had 2 very aggressive guys to my right and got into a very good hand against them. I beleive I made a bad fold but wanted the coaches to give their opinion:

nl4 Was This an Incorrect Fold?

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

Answer: I evaluated this hand just now:

Ace pair with medium kicker

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6d, 7d
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3d , 3h , Td (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) Jd (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

Answer: I believe you would have to raise. You need to protect your hand from another diamond. You could be drawing very thin though, the TAG in the small blind clearly has a hand, maybe you have to worry less about the loose passive big blind. There is a chance that you may be already up against a full house but you're just giving everyone a chance to further out-draw you if you just call, in my opinion. You might get a fold or maybe 2 and be able to more accurately know where you are in the hand. If you get re-raised then a fold is definitely possible.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Jh, Js
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6h, 9s, Tc (2 players)
      Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

Answer: I'm prepared to bet/go broke. The opponent is very aggressive with a moderately high pfr and very high Aggression Factor. He has a pretty wide range and we can't read too much into his 3-bet but of course there is the chance that we could be dominated. We have a strong hand on a pretty drawy board so it would be crazy to allow any free cards. So I would play the hand quite aggressively.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course. Some more points earned.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

Answer:

Here are a couple of freeplay hands:

nl4 Please Tell Me This Was A Correct Fold LOL?!?!??

nl4 Flush Monster Over-shove on River!

Here is a slowplay hand:

nl4 Should I Just Shove the River?

Here are some multi-way hands:

nl4 A Bad River Call?

nl4 Was This an Incorrect Fold?

NL4 Implied Odds?

[U]Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members[/U].

Answer: Here are some evaluated hands before you got there veriz heh!:

nl2 - T8s

nl2 - JJ

[Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q :heart: , J :heart:
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 :heart: , J :club: , A :diamond:( 4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q :club: (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

Answer: Well, the BB is a calling station so I would definitely just call in this spot. A normally passive player starts to get aggressive, alarm bells should ring! I would call his bet and re-evaluate the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.
    • Ghartman
      Ghartman
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).

Answer: I only ever play short-handed and have done for the last 2 or 3 years. I started out playing full ring but soon moved to 6-max, so all of my hands relate to the 6-max game:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/search.php?searchid=482157

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members

Answer: Here are some evaluations:

K Q vs short stack (veriz,you evaluated it while I was typing my reply!)

Mid pair fold (veriz, you got in there again! Don't you sleep dude?! lol)

AK preflop 3bet or just Call? (veeeerrrrrizzzz!!!!!)

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 :heart: , 4 :heart:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3 :spade: , 2 :heart: , Q :heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

Answer: I'm not sure if this is a trick question but it's a bit of a tough one for me. There's a good chance that at least 1 opponent could have a higher flush draw which removes some of your outs and also there may be someone with a set which could possibly leave you dead if the board pairs. I did some equity calculations though and gave our 2 villains 6.5% ranges including pocket 2's, 3's, QQ, AKs etc... and we still get 47.4% equity against them so I'm pretty sure that a call/shove is +EV in this situation.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: , K :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A :spade: , 4 :club: , 4 :diamond:( 4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

Answer: Well a fold is certainly out of the question! So it's between cold-calling and slowplaying or raising for value. We have people to act behind us so, I personally, would just call. We will either get some more callers behind us to build the pot or a re-raise which we can either call or raise again/shove. It's a pretty dry board, no flush or straight draws and we're only losing to 2 or 3 hands . So I call.