challenge

• Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      I would like to become a pro. Sounds good but its a big step and I am not sure I am ready.
      So, I have set myself a challenge: I am going to try to create a bankroll from 1$. There is a pro who did it from 0…if I cant do it from 1$ I am not ready to take this step.
      I am a quite succesful limit player with a positive no. of bb/100 hands
      So here I am with 1$ playing the micros :) . Wish me good luck.
  • 38 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      why start from 1$? If you're already a winning player, there's really no point in starting from nothing. By playing with your current bankroll (or if you're busto, a deposit), you'll make much more money, and you'll be able to move up faster, on top of having little to no chance of going broke
      but if you do go through with this, good luck
    • erob60
      erob60
      Gold
      No matter how skilled you are, anyone can run into some bad luck and lose $1, given that its such a small amount. Failing to build a bankroll from this proves nothing.
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      The whole point is to prove myself that I can do it. Quitting the job I order to play full time is scary, I suppose I need 1 more proof before doing it.
      Failing to build a bankroll from this proves nothing indeed. Doing it gives me the confidence necessary to hand in my resignation. :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      waste of time, imo. work on your skills, not confidence. The last one will come with results...
    • Lemonize
      Lemonize
      Bronze
      What site are you planning on doing it on? Should be one with lots of free-rolls and juicy micros. Otherwise the 1->$20 part will be the toughest part (one thats more or less born out of luck and patience).

I think a $50 challenge would probably be more effective (since from there on its gets more interesting)

But good luck anyway!
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Xylere, thanks for your thoughts...If I didnt have the results do u think I would even dream of quitting the job for playing poker ?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Acerdna, I wasn`t questioning your skills)
      What will you proof with your experiment? That in case you go broke (wish it will never happend), you will still have a chance to re-build with 1$? Why not to start with $100, at least? Beating micro limits doesn`t give much confidence boost, imo.

My idea is, instead of spending time on micro limits, set yourself some solid goals and get a real proof that you are ready to quit your job...

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck)
    • Sicilianpimp
      Sicilianpimp
      Bronze
      well good luck with your quest brother. i have played professionally for 5 months now and trust me its hard work sometimes. Just about anyone can do it, how well they do is the real difference though.

It isnt easy sometimes knowing you have no garuntied cashflow. It can be stressfull.

On the plus side I have more money now then I ever have in my life before.

well anyways good luck with your quest :)
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Acerdna, I wasn`t questioning your skills)
      What will you proof with your experiment? That in case you go broke (wish it will never happend), you will still have a chance to re-build with 1$? Why not to start with $100, at least? Beating micro limits doesn`t give much confidence boost, imo.

My idea is, instead of spending time on micro limits, set yourself some solid goals and get a real proof that you are ready to quit your job...

Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck)
      Thanks Xylere. My idea is not only to beat the micros, I set a target of 5K, hopefully I will go through the micros quickly. Its just a personal ambition (I would have started from 0 but I dont have the patience needed for freerols). I do continue to play on my normal stakes on other sites.
      To answer your question, in case I lose the starting 1$ its the end of experiment, I dont plan to spend all my life doing this :) (however I`m up to 2$ LOL)
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lemonize
      What site are you planning on doing it on? Should be one with lots of free-rolls and juicy micros. Otherwise the 1->$20 part will be the toughest part (one thats more or less born out of luck and patience).

I think a $50 challenge would probably be more effective (since from there on its gets more interesting)

But good luck anyway!
      I do it on PS, 0.02/0.04 to start with. With a bit of luck and a lot of patience I will reach 50 quickly and then will be interesting as you say :)
      thanks
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Sicilianpimp
      well good luck with your quest brother. i have played professionally for 5 months now and trust me its hard work sometimes. Just about anyone can do it, how well they do is the real difference though.

It isnt easy sometimes knowing you have no garuntied cashflow. It can be stressfull.

On the plus side I have more money now then I ever have in my life before.

well anyways good luck with your quest :)
      Thanks very much Sicilianpimp, I`m sure is not going to be easy but I am determined to do it.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I have a grand idea ( I always have good ideas): Do that challenge for fun (like during work hours or something ;) ), but continue playing your normal game on the side, that way you won't miss out on any profit, but you'll still have the satisfaction of building a bankroll from almost nothing if you succeed :)
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Thats a good idea indeed :) . I do continue to play my normal stakes on other site. However I must say i`m excited about my project, its such fun on 0.0/0.04. Take 5 min to try it, I promise you is worth it (I dont want to offend anyone I just say that down there its a completely different game and it never fails to make you smile - till you get your AA cracked by 27)
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      02.44 : time to call it a day - finished with just over 6$; dont think I ever worked harder for 5$ :)
    • prinstripe
      prinstripe
      Bronze
      When I received my $50, I lost $47.60, +$30 from the tourney, obviously I have $2.40, i split it $1.20 (sit and go) and $1.20 (cash games). And now, I have +$150.
      Note: I never played poker in person because this is not famous here and I knew the game last 8 months ago.
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by prinstripe
      When I received my $50, I lost $47.60, +$30 from the tourney, obviously I have $2.40, i split it $1.20 (sit and go) and $1.20 (cash games). And now, I have +$150.
      Note: I never played poker in person because this is not famous here and I knew the game last 8 months ago.
      Good Job ! Surely it can be done if you have patience.
      The only thing I`m afraid of is not sticking to brm (not that there is much brm to begin with - with 1$ or 2.40 in your case :) ). Its very tempting to go a limit higher knowing you can beat the limit and forgetting the variance.Playing for a 0.20$ pot is not very exciting either. However if you want you can do it.
    • prinstripe
      prinstripe
      Bronze
      Tnx Acerdna,

After I received my $50, I think that playing tourneys will give me more winnings but I'm wrong. I've never read books from the pros and the materials I have are the articles of this site. I accepted the fact that after the $2.20 luck followed but I know it runs out. With my $2.40 left I played 2 sit&go's with my $1+.20c buy-in shorthanded fixed-limit, i won 2nd place and 1st place respectively. I have almost $200 the other day but after downswing I lost almost $50 but again I charge it to my experience. My $150 is enough for me to start a new poker career again.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Acerdna
      I have set myself a challenge: I am going to try to create a bankroll from 1$. There is a pro who did it from 0…if I cant do it from 1$ I am not ready to take this step.
      I am a quite succesful limit player with a positive no. of bb/100 hands
      So here I am with 1$ playing the micros :) . Wish me good luck.
      Good luck with it
      few years ago on pokerstars started playing with playmoney on there and for some reason never needed to reload and built this up to 10 million , and at that point sold 7 million for $70

my bank roll has been built up from this and got cash on 15 sites about 3K and cashed out about 2K and the money from pokerstrategy I got on Fulltilt have decided to build up as separate challenge

even depositing $50 you would have loads of swings and may give you a better challenge than $1 where it will be all or nothing but good luck with it anyway and the hardest thing will be keeping your discipline and not wanting to spin it up
    • Acerdna
      Acerdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by curnow
      Good luck with it
      few years ago on pokerstars started playing with playmoney on there and for some reason never needed to reload and built this up to 10 million , and at that point sold 7 million for $70

my bank roll has been built up from this and got cash on 15 sites about 3K and cashed out about 2K and the money from pokerstrategy I got on Fulltilt have decided to build up as separate challenge

even depositing $50 you would have loads of swings and may give you a better challenge than $1 where it will be all or nothing but good luck with it anyway and the hardest thing will be keeping your discipline and not wanting to spin it up
      I`m impressed with your start, keep up the good work !
      I hope I passed the "all or nothing " stage I have around 10$ which should be OK for micros.
      However I really find it hard to stick to the lowest limit indeed. I hope I resist the temptation.
      Thanks!