Marto's STT blog - bankroll building from $0

• martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Okay this is my 3rd attempt at a blog, hopefully it'll be successful :)
      About me

I am a 21 year old Information systems student, living in the UK. I also work part time around 25 hours a week as I need to pay this year's tuition fees (~£2k) myself. Been playing poker for a while now but haven't really taken it seriously. I had built up a bankroll of about $200 before the whole FTP fiasco - I withdrew after black friday and was lucky enough to get my money before they lost their license.I focused mainly on 9 and 10 man games. After black friday itself though I kind of lost confidence in the whole online poker scene(didn't we all?) and thought to myself "why bother investing your own money into this?"

About the challenge

(JUNE - AUGUST) The challenge itself began on FTP. I had a bankroll of $0 and a couple thousand full tilt points. I used the points in the 60 point turbo 9 man satellites for the daily dollar tournament. At one point I had around 10 tickets for the tournament itself. I never really went deep in it - my profits were a staggering $2.54 - with a couple of tickets to spare. This was shortly before FTP went down and I had to look elsewhere to build a BR.

When I first started out,before this challenge, I got my starting capital on William Hill - I got the money off there and decided to play elsewhere but I still had some William Hill points. I found some points tournaments(mtts) that were actually quite lucrative. Best score was 2nd for £7.50 ( last hand was A :heart: K :heart: vs 7 :heart: 6 :heart: , with him having narrow chiplead. Oh well). Also, I still had a VIP level 4 on william hill so I was eligible to play their $5k freeroll. A mincash, $12.50, at the time was great for my challenge and I play for just that. Dont really enjoy folding hands like AQs while waiting for the shortest stack to bubble but it had to be done.

I also signed up with 888 and poker770 to get their free $8 and $7.70 respectively. The $7.70 got used up on the $20k tournament that PS held. I played well but still couldn't make a cash. Busted the 770 BR. The 888poker money was first used for DoNs, cashed in a PS freeroll for $4.44. With my BR on $12.06, I stuck the lot on red and doubled it up.

Over the points tournaments and the freeroll cash - I'd made $32 on william hill. Around the time they were offering a 300% reload bonus which I dediced to take. I deposited $32 on top of my $32, which of course I'd take out. This didn't turn out well as I barely broke even overall...

(SEPTEMBER) - I got a free $25 on carbon via another affiliate and I got it. In essence it's 25% rakeback but I'd have to play 1000 $1.10 games to clear it and the traffic there is absolutely DIRE.

I deposited the $32 on carbon and began playing there. One of the first tournaments I played was a 27 man private MTT, 5 places paid. I thought it was good value for money but it was $5.50 - so strict BRM wasnt in place. I played alright, aggresive in spots and managed to sneak into the money as short stack. When play got to 3 handed I lost AQ vs AJ to get headsup with big chip lead. My bustout hand was AKs vs 33 where I had 4 to a flush on the flop... Still, a good score - 3rd for $26.70.

STT wise, carbon has been good to me as well so far:

(OCTOBER) - Arguably the best month for my challenge so far. PokerStrategy offered me a second starting capital,on Titan Poker, which of course I snapped up. I decided to deposit $24 on there to get $48 in bonuses(rakeback). Before I began my actual grind on Titan I decided to use up the rest of my William Hill points, playing a 5 man sng with top 3 places paid. This was actually really bad value for money(points) but I shipped it for $15. The next day, I played the $10k freeroll that PS held on Titan, finished around 70th for $30.

The STT grind went okay volume wise - played around 430 games but I ran about 30 bi below EV

Bankrolls at the minute: Titan: $150 ($50 put in altogether that I'll take out after next month)

Carbon: $108(can't withdraw yet)

888: $23.60 (have decided to play MTTs there to use up the money as their bonus is awful)

Poker770: £1.08

Overall, I am looking to play with around 50% rakeback where possible, especially at the lowest levels of STTs. I will bonus whore for a bit I guess and after that settle somewhere.

I have also bought HEM 1 for the offer PS have for the free upgrade on HM2. So I've to take out $71 when my bankroll allows it.

:club: GOALS FOR NOVEMBER: :club:

Play 340 games on titan for the Go4GOLD promotion - [ ]
      Play the new depositor's freerolls on titan - [ ]
      Use up Titan points for more rakeback - [ ]
  • 11 replies
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Day 1/20: Played the 17 games necessary to get my rake for the day( I play on titan for now). Managed to muster a mere $0.60 profit, while cashing in 30% of games. This was good as I managed to get 1sts and seconds when ITM and not just merely breaking the bubble.

Overall I was happy with my play but again, I played after having worked for about 9 hours so I felt pretty tired. I am used to doing this and I'll get out of the habit soon hopefully.

Today, I'm writing an essay that's due in on friday and after that I'll try and fit in some more games.
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Day 2/20: Barely finished the 17 before midnight, had around 4 mins to spare.

Probs the biggest swing I've had in terms of bi for such a small sample ha
    • b0b01111
      b0b01111
      Bronze
      gl with ur goals martoman2k10
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      thank you b0b0,

Day 3: made some questionable at best plays but still managed to play okay - finished in some profit which atm is okay. One hand that I felt I should've played differently was:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $400(BB) Replayer
      villain ($6,330)
      Hero ($8,670)

Dealt to Hero T:club: J:heart:

Hero raises to $800,villain calls $400

FLOP ($1,600) Q:heart: 8:spade: 9:club:

villain checks, Hero bets $800,villain raises to $1,600, Hero calls $800

TURN ($4,800) Q:heart: 8:spade: 9:club: J:diamond:

villain checks, Hero bets $6,270 (AI), villain calls $3,930 (AI)

villain shows 8:club: Q:club:

Hero shows T:club: J:heart:

Is shoving over his minraise on the flop better here?
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Depends bit of villain, but as default I would just shove here. Villain often has hand he is playing for stacks in flop. If he is some very aggro bluffy fellow then it's better to just call and let him spew.
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      a minraise there I find is always strong, I am not sure if I was tilted at this point of the game but the majority of the time I do just shove it in here

thanks for the feedback
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Been playing nearly every day for the go 4 gold promo, feeling burnt out on poker, uni and work though. Need to start going out more methinks.

Running 50 bi or so below EV after 561 games as well :X
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Still going strong on the go4gold promo - done 12/13 days - Need someone to clarify this for me. One of my games of my 17 strong set went past midnight - does it get counted towards rake when the game starts or when it finishes?

Had a pretty decent session today - 15.5 bis up from 17 games, will not complain :P
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      On my last day of the go4gold promo - will be my last session of sngs for this year. After tonight I'm starting with my revision for exams (about time) and in the second half of december, going to study some for poker.

I cashed out my Merge roll ( not enough traffic and they accept US players I think, hence not safe).

My bankrolls:

Moneybookers: $83.20
      Titan Poker: $130 ($50 invested)

After the go4gold $20 comes in and I cash in my titan points - I will withdraw the bankroll off titan and "combine" the money and play somewhere. 888 maybe
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Just got my $20 from the go4gold promo. This put my titan BR up to $163.82 ($50 invested).

MoneyBookers BR: $263.xx ($50 invested, with another $75 that I'll have to take off for HEM at a later date)
      888: $35.82

I still have another 10 days of exams which is going to be fun fun fun, after that I'm basically going to concentrate on watching as many videos as possible.

I'll also use the time to play a few MTTs on 888, most likely beginning of january.

It has been around 5 months since I started the challenge, I feel happy that I've built a roll I can use but at the same time I have played a LOT this autumn. STT volume, big freerolls, small freerolls, special tournaments etc etc

I'm also still considering where to play in January, STT wise. I might just take the month off grinding and do a review of all my marked hands - must be in the hundreds by now...
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Updates - exams finished, weee! My last one was a bit of a nightmare - we had negative marking which kinda screwed me over. Oh well.

Poker wise - good and bad!

Gambled away my 888 roll because I got greedy for more money - oh well was looking for an excuse not to play there anyway :P Been using up my Gold status a bit recently, watching vids and what not.

Signed up to Everest poker where I've to rake ~ $120 in 60 days. Easy as it may seem I never took into account how bad the traffic will be. I have decided to play the fast HuSnGs on there - $1.10 with 4 min blind levels. They seem to finish quick and I will fit a lot of them in I presume. I will be 2 tabling for now.

As I'm new to HUSNGs, I'm hoping 100 buyins will be enough to keep me going.