jrangel78

• jrangel78
      jrangel78
      Bronze
      Hey guys, what's up?

I'm 23 years old and I'm from Brazil. I've been playing poker for hobby for some time, but never in real money. Since I created the account and got the $50 I've been playing in the lower limits(0.01/0.02). I used both the SSS and MSS and managed to profit a bit, but I found these strategies somewhat limited. Then I began using the BSS and found out that is much more complex than the other ones and I lost some money fast.

So I decided to begin the course and improve my game since I'm serious about poker now and it's not just a hobby anymore.

Looking forward to hear from you guys,
      - jrangel78
  • 4 replies
    • jrangel78
      jrangel78
      Bronze
      Lesson 1 Homework

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      To play profitably in the long run, improve my skills and become a better poker player.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      * Difficulty folding good pockets when I don't have the best hand, or when I didn't hit something.

* Lack of calmness and thinking when making decisions, I tend to rush and make decisions fast without analyzing things first.

* Disregard with my opponents hands, I have a hard time reading my opponents and sometimes I just ignore and continue playing like my hand was the best.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To play the right kind of hands, according to the situation(position, opponents, board). To not enter every hand that comes, but show strength and initiative when palying a hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Impatience is actually a huge leak for a lot of poker players. You have to find yourself a way how you gonna ignore it or make it disappear. Try every time remind yourself! Forcing into your life to be more patient in any activity you do, not only poker. Force! Force! Force! Always remind what you came to do and the patience will just help you earning more salary not the opposite. With more and more practice you will get used to it and might even stop being impatient.

Rushed decisions are just horrible. You will never profit from them, the money wont come faster but rather you will loose the money faster with fast decisions. Even sometimes take the timebank and think about the decision, what kind of range opponent could have, what kind of hand the opponent could be representing. All those kind of things will definitely help you earn even some profit from different kind of situations.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • jrangel78
      jrangel78
      Bronze
      Homework 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      With AQ, AJ, AT in middle position I think we should be able to call if somebody just called.

The same with KQo, KJo, KTo, QJo, QTo, JTo in late position.

We can hope hit something on the flop, and I think these hands are not to be discarded if nobody raised before the flop.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I'd like more knowledge on blind steal defense, didn't found so much about it in the articles;

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      46.32% equity
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Those hands, especially off-suited ones are really hard to play. So I would strongly recommend not them playing in huge multiway pots. They are often overplayed! In many spots it's even better to 3bet/Fold with them.

About blind defense we will most likely talk during the course. :) And of course you can always post hands with the questions about blind defense.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.