ZeProst

• ZeProst
      ZeProst
      Bronze
      Hey, I am Alex, from Bucharest, Romania, i am almost 23 and i have been playing poker on and off for the past 2 years almost entirely 5-6max . Currently playing 4 nl 5max on pokerheaven (although not affiliated trough pokerstrategy.com) and i am participating at this course because i feel my game has some fundamental leaks that can most likely be improved from the ground up (re-learning the basics) and because i think that by taking this course it will make me a more disciplined player and less prone to tilt.

Homework #1

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Well first of all i love competitive games because they mainly involve strategy and constantly evolving and adapting. My goal in poker is to achieve a professional level (making a living out of it) mainly because i don't see myself having a 9 to 5 job and having a boss (other than myself).

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I tend to overplay my hands a lot, I tilt quite easily when i loose 2 BI in 5 minutes to fish and i don't really think how i should play my hands on later streets.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Playing tight and aggressive means that your hand selection (at least at the microstakes) is focused on value as well as position and you are usually going to be the one that is going to do the betting/raising.
      The reasons playing a tight aggressive style is profitable are :
      - your hand range is stronger
      - you will usually have initiative
      - you build up pots for value or make opponent(s) fold
      These are just a few reasons that popped into my head :P
  • 9 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Too sad that you ain't tracked through pokerstrategy with pokerheaven. :( We have really good content for improvement. Might the next site will be for you then which will be tracked. :)

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • ZeProst
      ZeProst
      Bronze
      Thank you for the warm welcome, I actually plan on moving my bankroll to titan poker (as i will have my starting capital there soon) or 24 hr poker for the rakeback.

Just to update on homework #1 question 2 : another weakness i have is that although i study a lot i don't put much time in reviewing sessions and i am not used to posting hands on the forums for analysis so hopefully this course will help me with that :P

so here is Homework #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Well starting hand charts are always a good thing to have in my opinion even if you play poker for a long time. But in poker you have to adapt to every situation and opponent. I for example play 6 max and if i have tight players in the blinds i open my range from the button a lot. Also if i have a loose passive in the blinds that calls a lot preflop but then gives up on the majority of flops i will steal a lot from the blinds and cbet most of the flops.
      The opposite applies too. If the table is full of loose players that rarely fold (which is the case in the games i play atm) than my range consists almost entirely of value type hands. All in all i think you should always adapt from your starting hands chart if you find a way to exploit your opponent.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation
      NL 4 Facing min 3bet
      It's a situation i find myself in very often.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      46.32%
    • ZeProst
      ZeProst
      Bronze
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab.
      Done

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?
      Preflop: KQs has 50.7% equity against 33.
      Postflop: On Js5d3s KsQs has 26.4% equity against 33

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Hero needs 4:1 to call here just for the flush draw alone and he is getting slightly over 4:1. The possibility of sets is somewhat low as he would have bet the such a draw heavy flop with 2 pair or a set after PFR checked. Also since there is no information on the villain here he can do this with a wide range and since he minraised i think he is a passive player he's doing this for protection/value with a range of 2 pairs a 4 (that both got there on the turn) and rarely a set of 5's. I think this should be a clear call since we can expect to get at least some value if we hit our flush as he is most likely a passive player.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      2nl AA vs bad turn[B]
    • ZeProst
      ZeProst
      Bronze
      Been playing a bit lately and i do feel that, unlikely as it may be the, very short time i spent on these forums has helped me become a more focused and thinking player. When i wrote my first post on this thread (and the first one on the forums) i was just at my lowest point in a downswing and since then i can almost say that i have been crushing my limit (4NL-5max on Poker Heaven). My red line has been almost flat, and my green line constantly going up with each session. I have also received my 50$ starting capital on Titan Poker, and although i was on the bad side of variance and did some plays that did not have their place at 2NL i lost quite a big part of my bankroll there but i am planning to try and get back up and should achieve silver status on pokerstrategy in a few days (it's really easy with pokerstrategy sidekick :P ).

Anyway here's:

Homework #4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      2NL AQ bad turn call

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      NL 10 SH Q9s

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: js9c8h
      Dead:

Equity Win Tie Loss Hand
      Player 1: 41.414 % 41.414 % 0.000 % 58.586 % KsQd
      Player 2: 58.586 % 58.586 % 0.000 % 41.414 % 77
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Really good to hear that you are doing great. :) Try posting more hands so we can figure out your leaks as well.

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you. Some more points earned.
    • ZeProst
      ZeProst
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reviews veriz, appreciate it.
      Well the weekend is here and i don't think i will get to much volume in until Sunday evening. I know that weekends are the most profitable days of the week since there are more fish, but ah well. Hopefully in the future i will have the strength to focus my playing times around the fish and not go party every weekend :P
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by ZeProst
      Thanks for the reviews veriz, appreciate it.
      Well the weekend is here and i don't think i will get to much volume in until Sunday evening. I know that weekends are the most profitable days of the week since there are more fish, but ah well. Hopefully in the future i will have the strength to focus my playing times around the fish and not go party every weekend :P
      Well, alcohol is eeevil. :f_biggrin: But you can't live without it. :P How did it go then? Played some?