[NL2-NL10] [NL2] AK, top pair top kicker on drawy board

• datalogg
      $0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em

Known players:
      CO (Hero)$2.04

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, A.
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.18, Hero calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.39) Q, 3, K (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.30, MP3 calls $0.28.

Turn: ($0.99) T (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16.

River: ($1.31) 9 (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.26, Hero ?.

I called the min-raise preflop.
      Villain's bet on flop is rediculous, so I decided to bet my top pair for value. I think he has at best some stright or flush draw he decided to bet that way or a bottom pair.
      Turn completes some straight draws and he bets small again. I decided just to call to control the pot a bit. On the other hand this ten gives him even more outs if he has a jack. Is raising a better option here? I didn't even consider to fold on such a small bet...
      River is a very bad 9 for me and he bets a small amount again. What should I do here?

Do these small bets show weakness? I have seen lots of people at NL2 who are generally passive and don't want to bet big when they have a monster hand.

Thank you.
  • 3 replies
    • Meemawuk
      His limp-raise pre is just garbage. I don't give him a whole lot of credit here.

He min-donks and then just calls when you raise him on the flop. This would suggest to me that he has some kind of draw or 1 pair hand as I think he donk-raises sets and KQ.

Turn completes a lot of 2 pairs and also AJ and he donks you again. I don't think you are beating much here but he bets so small it might be okay to just call in position and see what he does on the river.

River sucks even more and now you really cant beat anything. He persists in giving you such a great price. I'm not sure I could find a fold in this spot.
    • numbnutter
      I think you give him too much credit here with this fold. Everything points to him being a bad player and I wouldn't be surprised if he had only ace high, king high or a small pocket pair. I would say he had nothing and was just bluffing all the way along - of course occasionally he might get lucky and be holding a jack or two pair but I think it would be more by accident than design. Probably worth a call here on the river, I think he would have bet bigger anyway if he actually had something.
    • veriz
      Hello datalogg,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Well, I doubt that I would fold preflop vs min-raise. But definitely you have to watch out vs the min-raises. Some like to do that with even very strong hands.

As played not much to add, seems to be fine you still protecting your hand on flop. Although the river is kinda cruel, I don't really see any hands what beat there. A lot of 2pair/straight combos are already there. Most likely I'd give it up on river.

Best Regards.