[NL2-NL10] [NL2] 99 right play

• NoMistakes
      Known players:

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy.com Elephant 0.102 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9:spade: , 9:club:
      UTG1 calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.02, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.08, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.20) T:heart: , 7:club: , 4:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.1, Hero calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.40) T:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.2, Hero calls $0.20.

River: ($0.80) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.28, Hero raises to $0.56, SB raises to $0.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $1.86

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, nines full of tens (9s 9c)
      SB shows (As Ac)

Hero wins with a full-house, nines full of tens (9s 9c)

I think i played this hand wrong and got lucky on the river. Looking for suggestions how i could played this differently ? I mean folder pre-flop? On flop? or raised before flop? or reraised in some spot?
  • 3 replies
    • numbnutter
      I think you took totally the wrong line here. Preflop you should have made an isolation raise of 5bb (10c). Pocket nines is a pretty strong hand, most likely way ahead of whatever UTG is limping with (probably a smaller pocket pair, maybe some suited connectors), and raising gives you the initiative and the chance to take down the pot either preflop or on the flop itself.

You shouldn't have called the raise after you either - use the call20 rule when calling with pocket pairs (opponents stack must be 20x the amount you have to call). When you're calling you're only hoping to hit the set which doesn't happen very often, if you don't hit the set you pretty much have to fold as you have very little fold equity here.

Both flop and turn play was bad also - what are you trying to achieve here? You could already easily be beaten on the flop itself by any 10x hand, JJ, QQ, KK, AA which are all in villains range, and as mentioned you have very little likelihood of making the set. Just fold this one on the flop as you are most likely not ahead - and even if he is just cbetting the flop then you should definitely fold to the second barrel on the turn.

River play is fine - the only thing that beats you here is quad 10's which is very unlikely. You should never have got to the river at all though, if you keep playing like this you will lose money very very fast, especially playing against short stacks who wont even pay you off much when you do hit.

Hope this was helpful and didn't sound too critical :) . Make sure you are thinking about your reasons for every action as you are doing them in future, and even try to think ahead of time how you will respond if the villain checks, bets, raises etc. Also read some articles on odds/pot odds/implied odds if you haven't done already, gives you more info on when you should be calling and when not.

Good luck though and keep at it! Persevere and the hard work will pay off eventually ;)
    • NoMistakes
      Thank you very much numbnutter for your post! I really appreciate for your hard work of writing this post.

I tottaly agree what i took totally the wrong line in this situation. One of the reasons for this that I am learning now only how to play these spots.

I find your post very very helpful for my mindset and especially for my game improvment and you are more than welcome to make critics for my game.

I will try to learn as much as I can and with people like you and other community members helping me I think it will be not so hard as I thought.

Thank you one more time and good luck. :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      Hello NoMistakes,

Welcome to the NL Hand Evaluation Forum! Hopefully we will see more hands from you in the future. I hope that with our help you can improve your play and as well move up the limits. We will be waiting for the next hands and till that good luck on tables!

Preflop: With 99 you can easily even isolate here, they are strong enough.

As played
      Postflop: Well, while you played it passively preflop then I wouldn't really invest much more into the pot on flop. We can't even be sure if we do hit something where we stand. But obviously if you Call the turn then for the given odds shouldn't be that wrong to Call the turn. But most likely to avoid any further mistakes I'd just fold it right on flop while the opponent doesn't even have full stack.

Best Regards.