Bursting the SNG bubble

• kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Found some time to get started on a blog, and will look at posting on a weekly basis with the odd graph, or some tough spots i get into.

Have started back playing with a BR of $180, and will continue with the $3.50 9man Turbos until i feel comfortable i am beating the level, and to make sure i follow my BRM rules (40/50BI) moving up/down when required.

Monthly goals wont be massive, as i work full time, family etc. etc. Not making excuses for it, but dont want to set unrealistic goals either.

NOVEMBER

[] 500 games
      [] Move up to $7
      [] Post 10-15 hands per week
      [] Update blog once a week
      [] Play 3 sets of 1 hour per session
      [] Play 6 sessions per week

Will add other stuff as i go, but for now, this seems ok.
  • 28 replies
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Hey,

Gl with your goals - I would recommend to have much bigger number of posted hands than 4-5 a week ;)
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gavron23
      Hey,

Gl with your goals - I would recommend to have much bigger number of posted hands than 4-5 a week ;)
      Updated to 10-15 (will start tonight when i get home)

Also passed the quiz, and looking for guidance on which sites are better for 9pm+ AEST. The 2 choices are Party Poker and Everest.

Help appreciated here.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Still having trouble with the volume at the moment, so will be happy to reach 400+ target with the way things are going. Am happy to say i am now having shots at the 7s, and doing ok so far. Am mixing up each session with a 50/50 split of 3.50s and 7s.

Coaching started off well too with Jaxtraw, and have started applying some of the things we worked on with good results so far. Also have a mate helping me through this with some big sweat sessions, and discussing various spots. This is probably one of the reasons i havent posted too many hands so far (if any), but will make sure i change that when i do my weekly review tonight.

Since starting back on the SNG grind from 2 weeks ago, i am starting to feel more comfortable with my game, but can still see i dont have a complete grasp of some finer end game situations. This is something i will actively work on over the coming weeks.

I am also happy to say that i am finally out of the red in lifetime SNG games, which is great since i used to be a complete donk when i first started and was absolutely clueless.

Thought i would post my first graph since starting back, and will make sure i put it up each week to motivate myself one way or the other.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/sngf.jpg

For some reason, i cannot get it to display as a pic (help - i tried to use the img button)
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      OK, just over 2 weeks into my STT comeback and have been fairly happy with the results, even though i know i still have a couple areas i need to develop.

Working with Peter (Jaxtraw) has been an eye opener, and its just those little areas that he talks about which will make a difference in the long run. Up until now my game was a little passive at times, and i was missing spots where i could be building my stakes on the way to ITM. My distributions is on the way where i want it, with first and second place being the higher percentages so far.

Volume is still labouring, but i am happy to continue with current structure and only look at adding another table when i am truly comfortable with my game.

Am also bankrolled out of the 3.50s, and looking at the 7s full time. Have had some great success mixing the two levels until now, but look forward to some positive results from here.

Cant post any graphs (http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3953/sng11112011.jpg)because of status (which will change when starting capital goes through), but will summarize my progress so far :

Games : 178
      ROI : 23.3%
      ITM : 40.4%
      $$$ : + $174.56

Once the starting bonus $50 goes into new poker room, will probably look at grinding out some 4NL 6max games to keep it fresh. I dont think there will be enough traffic for SNG when i am on, and maybe the mix will be good. Time will tell.

Always happy to organise some sweats with other STTers, so look me up on Skype if you are around.

Laters.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      3 week mark since starting back, and things have been going extremely well.

Finished second session with Jaxtraw, and still picking up a few things out of it. Was a shame we had connection problems, as i had been recording the sessions to go over at a later date as a refresher. Next lesson is in a about a week, and should hopefully see even more improvement. Next, will be some solid training/coaching in the use of SNGWiz. I think this will also make a big difference to my game too.

Still mixing up the 3.50/7.00 as traffic gets a little slow on Stars when i am on, and i like to load up the tables as quickly as possible. Had a run of 6 tabling, and found it comfortable, so will continue with it unless i see a major affect to my game.

Still havent seen the $50 go through yet, but they did say it takes upto 7 days i think. Have kept an eye on traffice at Party, and it looks very ordinary. Hopefully get enough fishy tables to compensate for it.

Status is as follows :

Games >>>> 208
      ROI >>>>>> 26.7%
      ITM >>>>>> 41.3%

Not sure if there is meant to be any correllation between ROI and ITM, but happy with it anyway.

Good luck to all........
    • palante88
      palante88
      Bronze
      Well, nice ROI ^^ Hope u r going to handle it as long as possible ;) But care to the down ...

You are only 6 tabling on SNG turbo FR on star ? Why not trying 9tabling, really easy to handle ..

Can u give VPIP / PFR ?

Thx, (im restarting SNG turbo on stars from 1.5)
    • aftenieovidiu
      aftenieovidiu
      Bronze
      nice work man.you are running pretty hot:) .

goodluck achieving your goals.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Thanks mate. Still not playing optimal, and a few FPS moments creeping in from time to time, so need to continue working on erasing that from my game. Still running a combination of 3.50/7.00 games until i hit about $500 (almost there) and then take a 20BI shot at 7s only. Look to be settled into these by mid December.

Still not posting enough hands (if any) and i know that by doing so, will help me improve my game. My game still has a few leaks, but i just feel that sometimes they seem obvious, and i wont post them up. I appreciate the ones that have been assessed, and will push to make it a habit.

Volume goals are going to be tough, although i have started to get the feel of 6 tabling, which will help me in the long run. Have almost hit the 250 game mark since starting back, but a long way off from the 500 i wanted to knock over. I guess when i feel i have a solid game, maybe add another 1-2 tables and go from there.

My FREE $50 was processed today, so i treated myself to a quick set of 4 $1 9man SNG. Holy shit these games go quick. At one stage there were 4 left at the 1000/2000 levels. Managed to pick up a 1st and 3rd first time out. Will probably look at playing 50-60 a week to help clear the bonus. Also, getting my starting capital means i am bronze status, and can now post some graphs to make the blog look a little more than just as essay.

Good luck on the tables.....
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Have been slowly grinding away at PP at the $1 games, and they are quite amusing at times. The games are really helping me with my tilt control, as all i can do is get it in good preflop sometimes, and just watch their T5s or whatever spike 2 pair/flush/FH on the River. Such is life.

Have started watching some 18man videos, as theses seem to be the games to play at the moment. Wherever i read about SNG, it seems to be at least 18mans+. They dont appear to be too different, just a few more spots to play it seems so far.

Looking at getting some help setting up TableNinja, as i have the time to put in enough games, but at the moment can only manually manage 6 tables at a time. Was considering the 18man transition at the same time to get used to more tables, not sure yet. I think properly setup, there should be no issue with grinding out 800+ games per month.

Party Poker $50 starting bankroll is grinding slowly, just find the tables take so long to fill with my timezone. Try and get in 6-12 games a session, whilst also playing some on Pokerstars still. Would like to look at the transition to cash games, and even look at starting from the ground up using the Poker Strategy school. From what i have read, there have been some good stories coming from those working through it at the moment.

Has been a +$$$ month to date, but very few games played, but will look at changing that through the week if i can get TN setup correctly.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Originally posted by palante88

Can u give VPIP / PFR ?

Thx, (im restarting SNG turbo on stars from 1.5)
      Just checked, running at a nitty 11/8 overall.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      On hold while i work through the NL Course.

Never did take time to sit down and study the game correctly. Want to address a couple areas of my game/motivation while i am at it, instead of just aimlessly continuing through the games.

Be Back Soon........ :s_cool:
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Nice start - will be following as I've just started back up playing and my choice of game is also Sit n Go's. Starting with $1 STT on stars and a $100 BR. I too work full time so relate totally :tongue:
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Yeah, its tough mate, but i think setting the right goals, and sticking to a schedule that can acommodate will make life a lot easier. Feel free to look me up on Skype (kolonel71).

Have just got back from a weeks holidays, so will look at grinding out some sessions this month to get me back on track. Will also set weekly/monthly goals to go along with it.

At the moment, wondering what sort of filters some people use when working on sessions in HEM. I generally load up anything that cost me 4bb or more, and work through those, as well as looking at under 12-15bb shoves or calls late game. Anyone else some some other opinions on this ?

Happy New Year to all, and GL on the tables (unless you are on mine) :s_biggrin:
    • Skraggy
      Skraggy
      Bronze
      Will add you on skype when I get home from work ;)

As for the sessions filters, it's something I need to do a lot more work on and reviewing of hands - at the moment I'm just marking the hand for review as I go(only playing 4 tables atm). Definitely looking at the <13BB shoves is a good idea and checking the numbers with equilab or something like that - sng wizard might also be something to consider later on(I plan to clear my first bonus and then get either that or TableNinja) :s_biggrin:
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      I already have SNGWiz, but need to work on using it effectively.

As for TableNinja, i had the trial version working well, but it crashed with 4 days to go, so wont really know whether it will be an ongoing problem or not with it.

Catch you soon.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Disregard new thread.

Where to start.............

Have been given an opportunity to recieve some coaching to help improve my game, and work on getting some consistant volume in. Catch up twice a week, once for a sweat session, and the other to go over some tough hands. Will still continue to post hands in the forums, as it will definately help my game long term by doing so.

Learned a valuable lesson this week. Do not think about playing more tables than i can handle.

I started off multitabling 6 tables and really found it comfortable, so decided to step up to 8. Cranked up Tableninja and this didnt put too much of a burden on my gameplay (ran well actually), but for some reason thought i could become an instant Superman and take on 15 at a time (try and guess where this happened on the giraff below). BAD MOVE. What a disaster that was. Tables were flashing up everywhere, and i never got back into it until it was over. Definately -EV but a lesson learnt. Went back to a handful of tables and recouped some of the losses.

There is one benefit about playing a few tables at once, and that is you dont get to see all the bad beats. Now i say that with some sarcasm, as this too is another beginner pitfall at times. What i mean is, for all those times i/we bitch about losing AA vs 83s, we tend to forget when we open shove J9s and end up cracking a pair of Kings.

The other thing i will mention is the classic term "hero call". I think this almost falls into the same category of bad beats, and the number of hands we call and miss, seem to outway that one great call and manage to pick up a measly 80 extra chips. Another 3000 chips of "hero calls" to breakeven :s_cool:

Have managed to play 128 games over 4 days, which is an encouraging sign for me to put in my goal of 600 games for the month. But now the goal is to attain these numbers without sacrificing quality of game.

Swings and roundabouts.

• golaking
      golaking
      Bronze
      Ouch! Your graph was looking so good in the last post too. At least it's a lesson well learnt as you say!

I've been doing pretty much the same as yourself over the past month, playing a lot of SNGs and really trying to work on improving my game. Been playing poker for quite a few years now but I've only been really trying to learn and improve over the last 6 months to 1 year. Started out playing the cash tables but through a mixture of poor BRM and rookie mistakes I've gone bust far too many times. Think I was trying to run before I could walk so switched over to SNGs at Christmas to see how that goes.

Over the past month I've been getting my head round the sng concepts such as ICM and Nash. Really enjoying the challenge! Last week using these and quite a nitty hand calling range for villains I came 2nd in PSs 180 Man $4.50 MMT. Picked up $147 which was a welcome bankroll boost!

This week my ROI is finally starting to go in the right direction, think its currently sitting at around 30%. Haven't picked up SNG Wiz yet but hopefully gonna get it this week. Using HEM2 and Table Ninja, got a trial of TS yesterday too.

I've definitely a lot of work to still do on my overall game, but am really getting my teeth into that. My $ev is currently well in the red so need to get it into shape!

Would definitely be up for some sweat sessions if we could get the timing right, I'm off a few days each week which could help.

Good luck anyways dude, let me know what you think.

Golaking.
    • kolonel71
      kolonel71
      Bronze
      Been a while to update...........

WEEK 2 REPORT

What a nightmare start. Went on the most horrendous runbad for some time there, but managed to work through it, which is a massive accomplishment for me. Finished off with a nice last session for the week. I am getting used to some of the swings that can happen in these games, and thankfully Tableninja closes them before i have a chance to see. Some brutal ups and downs in the graph, but gotta keep focusing on the long haul. As least i have crawled my way out of the red zone.

Back to a reasonable amount of tables at a time , and feel that i am in my comfort zone. Was disappointed with the volume this week, but had so many issues with my internet provider, i was too scared to load up a few tables at times.

Weekly review with the coach has been good, and he didnt come across any glaring issues with my game, but i need to work on ICM a great deal more, as i am missing that odd spot here and there, and that can so make a difference in the long run.

Moving in a Silver star status, which is a huge accomplishment for me, considering the little volume of games i used to play. Another 25 games should just about cover it, and then from there focus on maintaining it, and then reaching for Gold. Continuing with the $7 games at the moment, and it looks like it might be a while till i move up (unless i have one hell of a good run sometime soon).

Back in a week.

For all the nastiness of bad beats etc, did manage to pick this up .............

Next step, GOOOOOOOOOOOOLD.
    • inlovewithamsterdam
      inlovewithamsterdam
      Bronze
      awesome mate! you have a coach as well as SNG Wiz? God dammit, you'll be on the 15s in no time.

Your volume goals look steep ("good" steep) to me, even though I don't work full time! Well done mate and may luck be with you when you're climbing towards that next level!