What did YOU learn today?

• Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      Hello! In this thread I want you to write in short (or atleast readable lenght) what you learned at the tables today, good and bad. Treat "today" as a relative, so that today is always the day we are currently at. (Did that make sense? I'm tired.)

Today I learned that the people at beginner tables love to play Ax, suit and not. Ands its SOOOO annoying. Should I start doing it too? Grrr....

I also got hit hard when I slowplayed my set to get more money into the pot. I had pocket 66, lots of limpers, flop came 6s7d3c rainbow. I was UTG so I checked, someone bet, I called with good odds and others folded. Turn came 9d. At this point I was worried about a straight or a flush draw, but it seemed abit off, so I thought no. I called another bet (probably shouldve reraised here to try and throw the last opponent off. But I was trying to build a pot.)

River came Qs or so. I thought I had it down, flush and straight draws missed. So I bet half the pot, but I lost because the arse had played 58o to the river! Guess it was ok post-flop game for my opponent, but I feel it was a very bad hand to limp with. (Would have posted the sample hand, but the software at Pacific tends to crash alot.)

So lessons learned: Aceraggies are annoying. And more importantly: don't fall into your own traps.

V.
  • 10 replies
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      What I learned today is that I call way too often when I'm beaten. It happens mostly toward the end of sessions, when I am too tired, playing maybe one table too many, and responding automatically instead of thinking.
      Many sessions are spoiled, and go from positive to negative really quickly.

I am going to institute a plan to be aware of my level of alertness, and respond to that by closing some tables, and maybe terminating the session if I feel I am losing my edge. In all cases, I will stop myself from insta-calling, and excercise judgement as to whether I really want to risk a stack in this position.
    • Djens
      Djens
      Bronze
      I learned today that I'm playing AQ way too aggressive post-flop when I don't hit. Checking pokertracker, AQ is the hand that I've lost the most money with out of all cards. (I had a gut feeling about it, but I didn't thought it was that bad :D )
    • Vargan
      Vargan
      Bronze
      At pacific poker you can start a SNG, then have your sister ask you to drive her somewhere, and when you come back, the SNG is over but you still finished in 3rd place.............. :tongue:
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vargan
      At pacific poker you can start a SNG, then have your sister ask you to drive her somewhere, and when you come back, the SNG is over but you still finished in 3rd place.............. :tongue:

LOLLLLLLLLLL :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      I learned today that I suck at SH and that I am really unlucky and shouldn't go outside because I might get hit by a bus.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i learn that when i am on to it, my instincts are pretty sick..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

saw flop|saw showdown

MP ($224.20)
      Hero ($100.90)
      SB ($137.40)
      BB ($69.55)
      UTG ($98)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $4, 1 fold, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($8.50) K, 9, 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5.5, BB calls $5.50.

Turn: ($19.50) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $12.5, BB calls $12.50.

River: ($44.50) 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $44.50

Results in white below:
      BB has 8h Th (three of a kind, eights).
      Hero has Ah Kh (two pair, kings and eights).
      Outcome: BB wins $44.50.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I learnt that starting to suck out after being used to getting sucked out on over and over again , feels f00kin great.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by undercover82
      I learnt that starting to suck out after being used to getting sucked out on over and over again , feels f00kin great.
      ???

No it doesn't. Wait till you realize where your BR is at :D
    • Leo
      Leo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aciddrop
      What I learned today is that I call way too often when I'm beaten. It happens mostly toward the end of sessions, when I am too tired, playing maybe one table too many, and responding automatically instead of thinking.
      Many sessions are spoiled, and go from positive to negative really quickly.

I am going to institute a plan to be aware of my level of alertness, and respond to that by closing some tables, and maybe terminating the session if I feel I am losing my edge. In all cases, I will stop myself from insta-calling, and excercise judgement as to whether I really want to risk a stack in this position.
      Tell me more about this plan pls! :)
    • DE4DLY
      DE4DLY
      Bronze
      I learned today that I have been loosing a lot by playing expensive second best hands badly, and that a good way of not doing so is to pay more attention to what cards the other players see through to showdown with, and then remembering.
      Maybe it sounds obvious but that wisdom only really started benefiting my game today. :rolleyes: