What time is it?

• JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Ok I have never been great at telling the time but this latest clocks changing 1 hour has really thrown me right off.

It is the first time I have had to deal with it since I have been playing poker.

I believed that we changed the time on Sunday in the UK and we are now operating on GMT. So yesterday when I saw that the WillHill $2k freeroll was starting at 20:00 GMT I decided that I would come online at 19:00 register for it then once I check my e-mails and sort some stuff out it would be time to play.

However I came online for 19:00, opened up Willhill by about 19:01 just to see it starting and I missed the game.

Here is where my confusion gets even worse, there is a daily freeroll on Titan that used to start at 18:00 before the time changed, now this game starts at 17:00. Yet the daily freeroll on Poker Heaven that started at 17:00 before the time change still starts at 17:00 now.

So far I have registered and came an hour late to 3 games and missed 2 because some say 20:00 but start at 19:00 etc.

Now today there is an Everest poker game it says 18:00... I am going to have to keep logging in on the hour just to make sure I don't miss it.
  • 10 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Hi there, JimC6!

As a timezone, GMT never changes.
      When the UK has daylight saving, they operate on BST(British Summer Time) and GMT(Greenwich Mean Time) remains unchanged whereas BST is GMT+1. When the daylight saving is removed again(this sunday), GMT is used as the main timezone for the UK and all other regions in the same timezone.

CET(Central European Time) is GMT+1, whereas CEST(Central European Summer Time) is GMT+2, so any time given in GMT as many operators give should never be affected by any changes as such, but your local timezone may differ during changes to and from Daylight saving.

What I meant to say is, If WH announced it at 20GMT, they wouldn't have changed anything in the scheduling, only your local timechanges would affect(or not affect, depending on where you are) when it would begin.

Hopefully this explains a little.

Regards,
      Richard
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      So I was right in thinking we have changed from GMT+1 back to GMT. So how come the 20:00 GMT game started at 19:00?

And why has the Titan game moved from 18:00 to 17:00 but Poker Heaven has remained on 17:00?
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JimC6
      So I was right in thinking we have changed from GMT+1 back to GMT. So how come the 20:00 GMT game started at 19:00?

And why has the Titan game moved from 18:00 to 17:00 but Poker Heaven has remained on 17:00?
      Assuming you are in the UK, based on what you wrote, yes, you've changed from BST(GMT+1) to GMT as standard time, but this shouldn't have affected how the servers had the event scheduled as you said that was already in GMT.

Regards,
      Richard
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Yes I am from the UK.

Here is a thread about the Willhill game in it HollyMichelle even says that the game starts at 20:00 GMT and that is what it said on Willhill when I checked on the day of the tournament (I did not register then because the registration was closed)

+++Weekly Depositors Freeroll Update+++

But it started at 19:00 GMT

I will probably get my head around it in time for summer the day before we have to change the clocks again.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hi Jim,

The time I posted in that thread was from WilliamHills very own client.

I did not register nor log in after that so I'm not to sure what happened regarding that tournament after that.

Maybe you could ask WH live support about this. It specifically said the tourney would start at 8pm GMT.

All the best,

Gary
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Hi Gary

Thanks for your reply. I was not bringing anything you said into dispute, it did say 20:00 GMT on the client on the day of the tournament when I checked ealier. It even said starting in 7 hours and I counted on my fingers and my 7th finger took me up to 20:00.

Also sorry for putting it into the wrong section I was aiming to post on the Questions section but must not have scrolled up far enough.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey Jim,

Oh I know what you were trying to day, don't worry :)

It's ok to have this thread here too :)

Any luck with William Hill, did you ask them about the time change?

Gary
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I asked and I was told;

The reason for the move on the tournament schedule is becsue Ipoker ended the Daylight Saving Time (DST). This makes the scheduled tournaments move one hour forward.

The tournament schedule was change due to the DST. Last October 30th at 01:00 GMT was the start of the change on the tournaments schedules. However, not all tournaments were change on that day.

Please understand that Poker Management reserves the right to make changes on the tournament schedules.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Fair enough,

Thanks for that Jim. Hope all is clear for you going forward and that you will make next weeks game :)

Best wishes,
      Gary
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Yeah roll on next week!