Bad loss

• Rixxxxx
      Rixxxxx
      Bronze
      Well. I was BB all the others folded but ep1 called, well i checked.mid stack 4k I had 5 :spade: 10 :spade:
      Flop was 8; Q; 5
      I bet 200
      he calls
      turn: Q
      I bet 200
      he calls
      river: Q
      I went all in
      he calls with 8 high. (he got full house 88QQQ, i had 55QQQ) No flush possibilities

Offcourse I lost, but what was my mistake? They say that dont bet to a calling station, but when I should stop betting but check or fold in this kind of situation!
  • 12 replies
    • LONGPLAY66
      LONGPLAY66
      Bronze
      having been called twice you should have check-called a reasonabl-ish bet from him on the river,no need to push all in there with around 3k(?) chips left.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Well firstly I wouldn't bet the flop. As played I wouldn't bet the turn. And as played on the turn I wouldn't bet the river. So we have a mistake on every street there.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Tip, stop thinking about what you have and start thinking about what your opponent has...
    • Rixxxxx
      Rixxxxx
      Bronze
      yeah. you are right. he just knew that im gonna raise again so why to re raise if you are almost sure you gonna win. if i would check... i bet he would raise...and i would fold... anyway it was a freeroll and u learn from your mistakes. big thanx !
      :f_grin:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hi Rixxxxx

I would post the hand in the evaluation forum. There are professional judges who can tell you what you did wrong.

Personally I would doubt to bet again on the turn we only have bottom pair. He limped from UTG so he must have a hand... He calls the turn so basically your hand is a bluff catcher. So I would think about checking it down to the river.

Good luck with the rest of your game!

Regards
      RasTweet
    • MarkQuick
      MarkQuick
      Bronze
      Hey Rixxxxx,

Sorry to read about your luck at the tables, don't worry it happens to all of us!

As RasTweet said, why not get your hand evaluated by one of our Pros? Just click here for details. :)
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rixxxxx
      yeah. you are right. he just knew that im gonna raise again so why to re raise if you are almost sure you gonna win. if i would check... i bet he would raise...and i would fold... anyway it was a freeroll and u learn from your mistakes. big thanx !
      :f_grin:
      Think about it this way, people can bluff-raise, but they can't bluff-call 3 streets.
    • surfwell1818
      surfwell1818
      Bronze
      A coach told me as a kid " It's not how you lost, but it is the fact that you lost that is always in the back of your mind next game.We need to work on the how"
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      Easy call for him on the river.

Flop is tough but after he calls that the 2nd Queen on the turn makes it unlikely you have a Queen and then the river cements it.

He's going to either put you on the 8 or 5, never an overpair because you checked your blind. He figured that the worst case scenario for him was a chop.
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rixxxxx
      Offcourse I lost, but what was my mistake? They say that dont bet to a calling station, but when I should stop betting but check or fold in this kind of situation!
      Honestly, if u cant detect ur own mistakes with this kind of play u must be kidding me, or ar u on drunk while playing this?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      This is a poker school, we are all here to learn. Some members will be at a more advanced stage than others, but please let's continue to be supportive and encourage members to explore and analyse their hands here, it's a great way to learn and to plug any leaks.

If I had a $ for every hand that I played badly, I'd be a very rich man :D

In my humble opinion, Rixxxxx did exactly the right thing and that is to share his experiences and questions here in the forum where I know our supportive friends will help them.

Rixxxxx, haven't had chance to fully digest your hand, but from what I've quickly seen (& I'm by no means an expert), I think I'm check/folding the flop with only bottom pair.

The only time I'd continue with the hand is with top pair or better (and you have to be careful even with top pair) or with a big draw, ie. up & down, nut flush etc. and assuming both stack sizes are large enough for implied equity.

Our experts and hugely experienced coaches will happily provide a more detailed and trustworthy analysis than mine though if you'd like to post your hand in the sample hands board, and hopefully our fellow members will continue to provide their own views too :)

Unlucky, but onwards & upwards, good luck.

Bart
    • Rixxxxx
      Rixxxxx
      Bronze
      Big thanx to all of you... Usually if a loose or if im doing some stupid mistake I Always analyze myself, what was the reason. I'm learning poker...im not proffessional that's why i ask. Before i found this site, I thought that I know how to play poker, now i see that it is way complicated than i thought. I haven't played much, but thanx to this site and friendly poker/forum members i have a feeling that if i want i can achive something and maybe help some day others with similar questions. :f_grin: