This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Lost the $50 :(

• seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Hi,

3 weeks ago I started with the $50 on Party Poker. I played 2 - 4 tables at the same time at NL .10. Now, 3 weeks later, I lost everything, and I wonder what I did wrong.

I played rather strict according to the SSS rules. But there are a few situations where I lost quiet some money:

- Going all in with TT or lower: looks dangerous to me. Most of the time I lost the pot because people had higher pocket pairs.
      - AK: same as above. If I didn't hit anything I lost easily my money against any pair.
      - When you got a trash hand at the flop, SSS says I have to go all in when my stack is less (or equal) the amount of money in the pot. I really feel I lost a lot of money because of this rule.

What do you think of my comments? Do you guys have other tips for me? As I said: I followed SSS rather strict.

Here are my pockertracker stats, take a look at the NL .10:

Is there anything special you guys see at my stats?
      Thanks for replying. I hope my referals do better than me so I can continue playing via PokerStragegy :)
  • 22 replies
    • tr9sh
      tr9sh
      Bronze
      Vpip, ATS and fold to Steal in BB seems odd tbh.
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply!
      What do those values exacly mean and what are their ideal values for a SSS player? I'm new to PokerTracker.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      well your VPIP is to very high you should have MAX 7 i have 6

and you have't posted any hands no wonder you went broke
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      That's something I don't get: why should I post hands? The SSS strategy is strict and covers most situations.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello seppevs,

There could be a variety of things that went wrong.

Leaks of beginners are often too loose play (your Vpip seems a bit high) (VPIP means voluntary put into put - so the amount of hands you decided to play while out of the blinds) - wrong raise sizes, continuation betting on bad flops or against too many opponents.

Since you didnt post any hands its hard to analyse the rest of your play - so that would have definitaly been very useful. Did you watch some of the SSS videos in our video section?

Here is a good SSS blog with some PT stats. I would also recommend his SSS coachings :)
      Size does matter - a career of a short stack player)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      continuation betting on bad flops or against too many opponents.
      Yes I did bet on bad flops because SSS says when I have trash hand I should go all in when my stack is less or equals to the pot when I have only 1 opponent. I lost quiet some money when I did this ...

Since you didnt post any hands its hard to analyse the rest of your play - so that would have definitaly been very useful.
      Why should I post hands? SSS strategy on this website covers most (if not all) situations: preflop, postflop, turn and river.

Did you watch some of the SSS videos in our video section?
      Not yet, but I will do :)

Here is a good SSS blog with some PT stats. I would also recommend his SSS coachings :)
      Size does matter - a career of a short stack player)
      Thanks for the link and your reply! (and sorry for my bad english)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      4k hands is a piece of variance. If you were playing strictly basic SSS, then what you experienced is massive good run of starting hands that were sucked out postflop) Otherwise, I can`t explain how come your Vpip is that high.

Here is an example of stats (check NL 50) you should have on a distance, to beat limits till NL 100.

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=statsdp7.jpg
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      4k hands is a piece of variance. If you were playing strictly basic SSS, then what you experienced is massive good run of starting hands that were sucked out postflop) Otherwise, I can`t explain how come your Vpip is that high.

Here is an example of stats (check NL 50) you should have on a distance, to beat limits till NL 100.

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=statsdp7.jpg
      whoa 14% VPIP from SB? you are completing for pot/implied odds a lot at the lower limits as well?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      This isn't mine statistics
      And why not to complete with pp at any limit?) set is set...
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i don't play SSS, but why not?

cause the concept may be too advanced for beginning players!

(and ofc if i did play SSS i would complete with pocketpairs, and sometimes limp in from CO/BU if the players behind me are passive + i have limpers in front)
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      9.99 VP$IP is considered high?! O_o

I have almost the same amount of hands (3,611) and mine is at 14.51, completing the SB at 31.25. And I have a nice $18.31 under Amount Won. I even have A2s as 6th-highest Win % hand (had it 7 times, won with it 71.43% of the times [so 5 out of 7 :P ] because I had it 3 of 5 times in a Blind and my 4BB bets if there were no limpers, except the button and a completing SB, usually made the remaining guy(s) fold :D ). The two times it didn't win was because I folded it pre-flop, in early and middle position.

Sure, I sometimes lost my buy-in like that, but most of my money was lost due to Suck Outs on the River when I played the SSS hands, and it was due to my obviously "loose" play that I won back all of it and added some more. :)

But hey, that's just me. Guess I am only lucky, right? But maybe it's also because I only play 1 or 2 tables max, and thus am able to concentrate on my opponents. I thus figure out who the (really) loose players are, who is only trying to steal the blinds, who will probably fold to my 4BB bets, etc. I think that's one point in which the SSS is lacking a bit.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well, standard play with a set oop doesn`t require much knowledge, hit the set - bet the set)

Limping from late is also possible, however, not necessary on NL 10 :)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      well, standard play with a set oop doesn`t require much knowledge, hit the set - bet the set)
      yeah but it could also encourage players to play hands like A2... (not pointing any fingers ;) ;) )

oh and another thing drakhor, 3622 hands is nothing. i've just started on cash games, and this is my stats after about that amount of hands.

i think it's safe to say that i'm not yet concluding that my winrate is almost 29BB/100
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      :P

[EDIT] after chenny's edit: Wow, nice amounts you won there. :) But I also notice that your VP$IP is also way too "high". ;) But then again, you obviously play short-handed only, so that's normal I guess. :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      heh, then we have to close all the forums and leave SHC only)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      heh, then we have to close all the forums and leave SHC only)
      would be a good april fools semi-bluff
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze

• chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      bad omens! ignoring.
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Ok thx for the replies. One question I still have: what's an ideal PFR% for a SSS player?

Grtz