Lost the $50 :(

• seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Hi,

3 weeks ago I started with the $50 on Party Poker. I played 2 - 4 tables at the same time at NL .10. Now, 3 weeks later, I lost everything, and I wonder what I did wrong.

I played rather strict according to the SSS rules. But there are a few situations where I lost quiet some money:

- Going all in with TT or lower: looks dangerous to me. Most of the time I lost the pot because people had higher pocket pairs.
      - AK: same as above. If I didn't hit anything I lost easily my money against any pair.
      - When you got a trash hand at the flop, SSS says I have to go all in when my stack is less (or equal) the amount of money in the pot. I really feel I lost a lot of money because of this rule.

What do you think of my comments? Do you guys have other tips for me? As I said: I followed SSS rather strict.

Here are my pockertracker stats, take a look at the NL .10:

Is there anything special you guys see at my stats?
      Thanks for replying. I hope my referals do better than me so I can continue playing via PokerStragegy :)
  • 22 replies
    • tr9sh
      tr9sh
      Bronze
      Vpip, ATS and fold to Steal in BB seems odd tbh.
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Thanks for your reply!
      What do those values exacly mean and what are their ideal values for a SSS player? I'm new to PokerTracker.
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      well your VPIP is to very high you should have MAX 7 i have 6

and you have't posted any hands no wonder you went broke
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      That's something I don't get: why should I post hands? The SSS strategy is strict and covers most situations.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello seppevs,

There could be a variety of things that went wrong.

Leaks of beginners are often too loose play (your Vpip seems a bit high) (VPIP means voluntary put into put - so the amount of hands you decided to play while out of the blinds) - wrong raise sizes, continuation betting on bad flops or against too many opponents.

Since you didnt post any hands its hard to analyse the rest of your play - so that would have definitaly been very useful. Did you watch some of the SSS videos in our video section?

Here is a good SSS blog with some PT stats. I would also recommend his SSS coachings :)
      Size does matter - a career of a short stack player)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SoyCD
      continuation betting on bad flops or against too many opponents.
      Yes I did bet on bad flops because SSS says when I have trash hand I should go all in when my stack is less or equals to the pot when I have only 1 opponent. I lost quiet some money when I did this ...

Since you didnt post any hands its hard to analyse the rest of your play - so that would have definitaly been very useful.
      Why should I post hands? SSS strategy on this website covers most (if not all) situations: preflop, postflop, turn and river.

Did you watch some of the SSS videos in our video section?
      Not yet, but I will do :)

Here is a good SSS blog with some PT stats. I would also recommend his SSS coachings :)
      Size does matter - a career of a short stack player)
      Thanks for the link and your reply! (and sorry for my bad english)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      4k hands is a piece of variance. If you were playing strictly basic SSS, then what you experienced is massive good run of starting hands that were sucked out postflop) Otherwise, I can`t explain how come your Vpip is that high.

Here is an example of stats (check NL 50) you should have on a distance, to beat limits till NL 100.

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=statsdp7.jpg
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      4k hands is a piece of variance. If you were playing strictly basic SSS, then what you experienced is massive good run of starting hands that were sucked out postflop) Otherwise, I can`t explain how come your Vpip is that high.

Here is an example of stats (check NL 50) you should have on a distance, to beat limits till NL 100.

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=statsdp7.jpg
      whoa 14% VPIP from SB? you are completing for pot/implied odds a lot at the lower limits as well?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      This isn't mine statistics
      And why not to complete with pp at any limit?) set is set...
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      i don't play SSS, but why not?

cause the concept may be too advanced for beginning players!

(and ofc if i did play SSS i would complete with pocketpairs, and sometimes limp in from CO/BU if the players behind me are passive + i have limpers in front)
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      9.99 VP$IP is considered high?! O_o

I have almost the same amount of hands (3,611) and mine is at 14.51, completing the SB at 31.25. And I have a nice $18.31 under Amount Won. I even have A2s as 6th-highest Win % hand (had it 7 times, won with it 71.43% of the times [so 5 out of 7 :P ] because I had it 3 of 5 times in a Blind and my 4BB bets if there were no limpers, except the button and a completing SB, usually made the remaining guy(s) fold :D ). The two times it didn't win was because I folded it pre-flop, in early and middle position.

Sure, I sometimes lost my buy-in like that, but most of my money was lost due to Suck Outs on the River when I played the SSS hands, and it was due to my obviously "loose" play that I won back all of it and added some more. :)

But hey, that's just me. Guess I am only lucky, right? But maybe it's also because I only play 1 or 2 tables max, and thus am able to concentrate on my opponents. I thus figure out who the (really) loose players are, who is only trying to steal the blinds, who will probably fold to my 4BB bets, etc. I think that's one point in which the SSS is lacking a bit.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well, standard play with a set oop doesn`t require much knowledge, hit the set - bet the set)

Limping from late is also possible, however, not necessary on NL 10 :)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      well, standard play with a set oop doesn`t require much knowledge, hit the set - bet the set)
      yeah but it could also encourage players to play hands like A2... (not pointing any fingers ;) ;) )

oh and another thing drakhor, 3622 hands is nothing. i've just started on cash games, and this is my stats after about that amount of hands.

i think it's safe to say that i'm not yet concluding that my winrate is almost 29BB/100
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      :P

[EDIT] after chenny's edit: Wow, nice amounts you won there. :) But I also notice that your VP$IP is also way too "high". ;) But then again, you obviously play short-handed only, so that's normal I guess. :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      heh, then we have to close all the forums and leave SHC only)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      heh, then we have to close all the forums and leave SHC only)
      would be a good april fools semi-bluff
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze

• chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      bad omens! ignoring.
    • seppevs
      seppevs
      Bronze
      Ok thx for the replies. One question I still have: what's an ideal PFR% for a SSS player?

Grtz