FlashDavin

• FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Hey guys my Partypoker account is FlashDavin11.

I am from Canada and have recently joined Pokerstrategy ( I used to have an account but was too young to receive the bankroll, now I am 18)

My parents think it's a bad idea to play poker but I've tried explaining that good players consistently make money. They are convinced that "the flop can bring anything so it's all luck." They would be fishy players! =) lol

I have recently dropped my bankroll from 50--->35 from MSS (moved down to NL 2) and I feel as though I have lost tons of my KK vs AA. Also, when the charts say to shove all in with AK my success rate has been pretty low 1 vs 1. I am looking to improve my game (although I feel like I have followed the charts almost 100% except to blind steal against super tight opponents etc)

I want to learn more about calculating odds and how to play post flop specifically on the turn.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I thoroughly enjoy the game of poker. I get a thrill playing and can grind for hours at a time to make 25 cents. I want to move up in the limits by building a bankroll but I don't think I'd ever want to cash out unless I became very successful.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My weaknesses are that I demand results. When I follow the charts and still lose money consistently I am not satisfied. Even if I got my money in at average 75% (great playing) and lost money on the day I would not be pleased while others would be happy with their great play.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tight aggressive means to be selective with your hands but play the ones that meet the guidelines aggressively as to induce folds or to extract value. It works especially well on donks or fish because they will call with much weaker cards often. It also minimizes your own losses on marginal hands.
  • 12 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Well, if you still loose money by following the chart then it's the case that you are doing something else wrong. On those low limits you should still able to win with following the Chart. What about the tilt? How do you adjust to it?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I would like to continue my beginner training and am looking to join a live coaching session with Veriz. When is the next session?

By the way, since my last post a few months ago I had really broken down my game and realized I was playing far too aggressively with top pair type of hands. Also, I was calling too often without a plan and giving away money. Now, I win my showdowns a majority of the time and have built my bankroll slowly from $35 ---> $90 in NL2 and have since moved to NL4 and have built it up to around $130 playing mostly 4-6 tables. I have been working on opening my CO and BU range as well as SB range (if first in) to steal more blinds and get into inflated pots with position. I used to only play that same 15% of premium hands from CO and BU until I realized that I am missing lots of value with things like JTs from the button. Playing in position is so much easier even with medium strength holdings.

Anyways, I will hopefully be active in writing my thoughts in the hand evaluation forums. I am working on putting opponents on a range of hands to improve my game!

EDIT: I also play the BSS now as I don't enjoy MSS or SSS anymore. My post-flop skills have improved.

Homework Lesson #2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I like to open raise my small pocket pairs when I am in a decent position against tighter players because I can often get folds or end up playing the hand with a guaranteed pair (maybe even set) in position. Then, I evaluate the flop and if it looks uncoordinated I make a C-bet and often get folds. If it is very drawy I can check and still have some showdown value or I can hit my set and often extract loads of value in position.

Also, you can play almost any two cards from the button if there are too very tight players in the blinds. If they fold something like 85% of the time any small bet regardless of your holdings will be +EV. Also, I can usually outplay my opponents postflop while in position (at this level anyways, I am not very creative =P ).

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Interesting Turn & River

[/URL]UTG+1 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Just open the Coaching section in the menu or find Beginners Course link in my signature and go to first page you will see the schedule. :) And of course Welcome Back mate! Hopefully you will now have a good run. :)

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them. You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Alright, I'm going to finish the course this summer!

I'm really trying to improve my game and am dedicating 1-2 hours per day on just studying. I will update later tonight with the next lesson finished!

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

http://www.pokerstrategy.com

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

OR

Board: Js5d3s
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I make a call here because I have a monster draw (Gutshot for 4 outs- I will discount to 2 because its the low end, NUT flush draw- 9 outs minus 2 for full house potential, + 2 overcards - 8 outs discounted to 4 in case opponent already holds a set). This leaves me with a total of 21 outs discounted to 13 in a perceived worst case scenario (around 28% chance of spiking this card). Pot odds we need to call $0.22 into $1.01 so we need at least 22% equity to make this call profitable. Also, we have some implied odds if we spike a clean nut flush that we can get more value from an opponent's set.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Biggest Losing Hand

Biggest winning hand
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

Dedication is the secret, try to motivate yourself to analyze your sessions, try to discuss with others. That's a huge advantage into your game cause you will be more familiar with a lot more situations than others. Which also brings you to the spot where you wont be even scared to play postflop which may sometimes happen like you don't know what you should do.

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

Homework

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users.)

Homework

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: Js9c8h
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }

We have 10 outs. 3ks, 3Qs and 4 10s
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Veriz, does counting the amount of outs and multiply by 2 for each remaining street get a close guess as well? That's what I currently use. It's always just slightly higher since there are usually 47 cards remaining on the flop.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

Squeeze based on stats

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)

My advice

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 , 7
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 , 3 , T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

I raise to around 3.50 to protect my weak flush and fold to a reraise as they often have a full house or better flush in those situations.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J , J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 , 9 , T (2 players)
      Hero...

I bet/fold the flop because we can get value from AK and AQ type hands.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

Veriz, does counting the amount of outs and multiply by 2 for each remaining street get a close guess as well? That's what I currently use. It's always just slightly higher since there are usually 47 cards remaining on the flop.

Well, the formula I gave you is actually pretty easy to use and it's more correct one. But everything can be used. With experience you at some point will stop using anyways those formulas if you know a lot of situations. :)

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation. (Post your hand in the Hand evaluation board, and provide a link to your hand in your private thread.)

Slow playing a monstaaaa

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members. (Choose a hand from the Hand evaluation board and post your own evaluation in the thread. Post a link to the hand you have evaluated in your private thread. You can evaluate as many hands as you want, but try to choose hands not yet evaluated by other users first.)

Some advice

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      $25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , J
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 , J , A (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

I just call because he is showing enormous strength (made hand) by betting into a 4 way pot here. Folding is too weak and a reraise isolates us vs better hands and gets worse to fold. We can re-evaluate the river.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.