any advice welcome please

• redhandluke
      redhandluke
      Bronze
      what do i do?
      Been playing online poker for about 4 years. for the 1st year was at a severe loss until i started reading about the game and from then have re coup my lose's and remain in profit.
      I would build my PB up get 2 a certain level and then would almost loose it all by taking a severe downswing. i havnt deposited money in poker for 3yrs now but find this so frustating.
      My normal game is 10p/20p blinds 6 ring. i only play on 1 poker site and now once again my PB is again taking a serious hit.
      Im consitently getting outdrawn, AA against KK, all in pre flop and K hitting the board, when i hit a flush the other person hits a higher flush, if i flop a house someone hits a higher house, if i have a straight someone hits their flush, if i have the nuts of a straight the other person has the nuts aswel and its a split pot.
      played 15mins tonight and played 2 hands 1 in a tourney and the other 6 ring cash result being:
      Tourney: Blinds 15/30
      Player UTG raises to 120 everyone folds to me on the button. I have AA. i raise to 550 of a stack of 2000. SB BB both fold.
      UTG players shuffs all in.
      I call. He shows 55 and a 5 hits the board. Gutted AGAIN
      Cash Game: 6 ring 10/20 blinds
      im in SB wit pp 2's
      everyone folds round to me, i flat call, BB checks. i dont i have read on these guys as this is only my second orbit.
      Flop K2K
      i check flop as he does.
      Turn is 7 i bet 60p into 30p pot he calls
      River 8 i bet 1.40 and he shoves all in for full stack
      i call cards turn up he has K2
      yip it did more than cross my mind that he hit a FH of K7 or K8 but as this is happening more than regular lately i thought it was due to be in my favour.
      I have changed my starting hands since the downswing started again prob top 10%and in position. will do my normal 4 times pre flop raise and up to 6/7 times the BB if there are 1 or 2 limpers.
  • 4 replies
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      everytime i had a bad swing, normally i go play lower limit to have some fun. After everything back to normal, i play back my gav game n winning...

A lot of people here saying they lose 60 buy in, in bad swing or more, which they cant control. However, u do can control it, by moving to lower limit, to reduce ur loss, n trying to catch up.

My highest bad swing is 9buy in, n i move to lower limit to reduce my losses. Gradually i won back my $, n back to my limit again.

*well, i set myself to move lower limit everytime i hit 9buyin badswing, due to bad beat, bad play etc etc. This is to protect my bankroll from going nut.
    • redhandluke
      redhandluke
      Bronze
      cheers justin for the advice,
      have tried to move down limits but still get really bad calls. i hate these downswings they knock your confidence for 6 and when you know ur infront you scared to bet heavy as you know you'l get out drawn but if you dont bet heavy you know your giving a cheap card for ya to be outdrawn. Damned if you do damned if dont eh?
      confidence so low at the mo, even if i raise preflop with AA and get re raised all in i have really seriously considered folding as i know i'l get outdrawn.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by redhandluke
      cheers justin for the advice,
      have tried to move down limits but still get really bad calls. i hate these downswings they knock your confidence for 6 and when you know ur infront you scared to bet heavy as you know you'l get out drawn but if you dont bet heavy you know your giving a cheap card for ya to be outdrawn. Damned if you do damned if dont eh?
      confidence so low at the mo, even if i raise preflop with AA and get re raised all in i have really seriously considered folding as i know i'l get outdrawn.
      I wouldn't be surprised if your ''downswing'' was 25% variance and the rest a very bad mindset. You just cant think like that. When ever you play a hand and your about to act you just have to tell yourself that the only thing you have any control over is making the best decision. You cant be scared of valuebetting the turn with TPTK against a fish because you ''know'' his going to hit his gutter and then tilt call the river check/shove just to see how he sucked out of you when you know your 1 pair is never good.

Confidence is also a really important since with out it you will never be able to play your A game. And the reason your losing your confidence isn't because your losing flips or w/e because you know you cant really do anything about that. The reason is that because of running bad your tilting and playing bad.

Like when you know you should of valuebet that turn but you since your scared of getting sucked out you didnt and therfor lost value. A part of a downswing is losing big pots, the second part that is a bit harder to find is not getting enough value from your good hands against fishes when you don't value bet thin enough.

Also what a lot of people do including yourself is take a hand and write it off as a cooler which it really isn't. Take your 22 hand for example. This was NOT a cooler. It was actually a fairly easy fold vs 95% of players on your limits. If you really think about that hand whats his value range for overbet shoving that river?

Considering it was a limped pot he doesnt have AK KQ in his range since his likely to raise preflop so you have to expect him to valuecut himself there with KJ, KT which are the only 2 hands your beating and his more likely to just call with anyway. So your low boat in this spot isnt a value hand but a bluff catcher and you have to play it as such. And in this spot from experience player on micro are bluffing less then 5% of the time.

Next time on a river spot like that instead of posting it in a whine thread rather as yourself if you could of folded. And the answer will be yes way more often then not.

Hope this helps a bit.
    • david2655
      david2655
      Bronze
      i have to agree with matej, it sounds like you suffer a little bit of bad luck (as do we all, believe me) which makes you lose confidence, i would suggest taking a break from poker entirely for a while, brush up on very basic strategy (its never a bad idea to read over the basics every once in a while, even for experienced players) before returning to poker at very low stakes to build up your confidence, skills, and bankroll. best of luck to you :)