applying equity v a range when playing

• gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      Hi guys, ive just finished reading an excellent book about poker math and after reading and watching articles and videos on the same subject am now wondering about how do i go about trying to apply this to my thinking while at the tables or is this something you would do after play in lets say a review session using equalitor, I really would to like have this in my head during play, or at least some knowledge of my equity v opp range.Was just wondering what is the best way to do because i dont think using software is possible when your multi-tabling. This question is for coaches/experts/ pros is this something that is in your head at all time or do you use software in a review session after play.( ps i will tell you name of book if ye like)
      thanks in advance
  • 8 replies
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Hey gfm,

I love your question.

My thoughts:

There certainly remains a gap between application of theoretical knowledge & study of practical knowledge, simply by definition.

We get a better "feel" for the game as well as the decisions we are presented with as time progresses, but it is never possible to make exact calculations for each hand using software when multitabling. This is of course a drawback, because time is very valuable at the poker table.

If you want to apply your theoretical knowledge to your game when multitabling, the only option is to ingrain all that knowledge into your mind, which is where the experiences come in and the more experienced players are separated from the less experienced.

My recommendation is to study scenarios away from the table, so you have a good idea of what your Equity is in that hand, but always keep Equilab handy in case you are totally unsure of your equity in a certain spot.

One's thought process at the tables is difficult to perfect, this of course should vary dependent on the stakes you play and the type of players at your table. The best thought process to take consists of range vs. range in terms of performance, and also separate your pre & post flop game, making adjustments according to the opponents.

Coaches / Experts & Pros, all play / study / enjoy poker and have done so for a while if not many years, and of course, as with anything, it becomes second nature. It really all comes down to practice, study & dedication.

If you do want to make Equity calculations at the tables with your hand vs. your opponents range, it's good to use a statistics program, and the more detailed you can make your opponents range through his actions, the more information you will have for your calculation.

For sure, it's not possible to do all your calculations on paper, so grab Equilab and make use of it.

I also recommend, if you don't have a database tracking program, to download our Elephant and begin to study your own game

I hope this helps! Remember to stick with it & let us know if there is anything else we can help with :f_p:

All the best,

-E
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      and that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you pwn a question :D

badabing, badaboom! :coolface:
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      lol thanks for the replies guys, its great to get some feedback. Just have one silly question and here it is, what does pwn mean ?( , feel free to laugh at my expense cos im laughing at myself. Yea i do use equilab but not while playing so ill have to make sure to have it open at all times. That way i can enter all the details quicker and i presume after a few months you would instictively know your equity v say 5/10% ranges much like we all know overcards v pairs are approx 50% etc. By the way the book i read was "Math that matters" by Owen Gaines i think, a really read for someone like myself who is trying to get a feel for the thought proceess that goes on during a hand and the math behind a top players decisions. Thanks again guys
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      P.S i had been using elephant but after a while it stopped working and i couldnt get it going again so i downloaded HEM trial which has ran out so via a promotion on there site im now grinding on a site to get enough point for the license for the full version
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      btw, keep in mind that having the software open may be against the terms and conditions of some poker rooms. i wouldn't have it open during the games, (and i dont think i would have time to compute everything anyway).

pwn means he answered your question very thoroughly :D
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      oh ok fizz i wasnt aware that having it open was a problem, ill keep that in mind. Thanks
    • EuanM
      EuanM
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

pwn = own, the "o" imo is replaced with a "p" to emphasize the ownage (dominance). Some people say pone, others say pone to may fun of those people, the internet is a strange place to lead a social life, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

I would take what fizz has to say under advisement regarding Equilab, take measures to ensure when you are using it, you are not breaching any T&C's of your poker room.

I use it occasionally in conjunction with the hand replayer on stars, and I've never had any issues, when using the ICM trainer on the other hand, you get a warning message from Stars.

Good luck!

-E
    • gfm1975
      gfm1975
      Bronze
      Thanks guys