MP: $10.00
      MP+1: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10, MP posts DB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.25) Hero has Q:spade: 8:spade:

fold, fold, MP checks, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.25, 2 players) J:spade: 7:spade: 9:spade:
      Hero bets $0.18, MP raises to $0.79, Hero raises to $2.01, fold

no stats on villain

would be better to call and hope he barrels again? does a protection raise like this make any sense?
  • 5 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      You're OOP so it will be hard to get value out of him. If you only flat his raise on the flop, what's your line on the turn? To bet or go for c/r? If you choose the latter he might just check behind.

I think your line is better. I would only raise a bit more - $2,40 and go broke.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

If you 3-bet flop, it looks so strong that you likely have close to nuts, so he can easily get away there lower flushes. For that reason I´d prefer b/c flop and then depends on his bet size either c/r turn for value or just c/c him down.

does a protection raise like this make any sense?
      - raising for protection isn´t bad, but if you only isolate yourself K and A high flushes, then it is not the best move.

Regards,
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      Hi,

If you 3-bet flop, it looks so strong that you likely have close to nuts, so he can easily get away there lower flushes. For that reason I´d prefer b/c flop and then depends on his bet size either c/r turn for value or just c/c him down.

I don't agree, I don't think he doesn't go broke with small flushes. We want to protect from pair + FD :spade: . Sure there is only T :spade: and super small :spade: left but we should build the pot. I agree our line looks pretty strong so b/c is maybe a better option.

Originally posted by Kaitz20does a protection raise like this make any sense?
      - raising for protection isn´t bad, but if you only isolate yourself K and A high flushes, then it is not the best move.

Regards,
      we're raising because we're OOP and if we only call him now, we have to check turn and give him free river. He can then just fold if he doesn't hit his FD. There are only 2 higher flushes but we can't expect him to have AK (he just posted the blind in MP). He might go broke with any 2 pair or set.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Just how often have you seen players raising that big with pair+fd. I think most players would call there, so we shouldn´t worry that much protecting against higher flushdraws.
      Not saying that we should call him down, but rather to keep him option to bluff turn, where we then can c/rai or c/r depends how much he bets.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello tofu22,

There is no way I am going to slowplay it here. What do you want to see on turn? Him Checking behind? We need to protect our hand while even being OOP, protect vs any paired board, any . So there are a lot of cards which we don't want to see on turn. Get it in!

Best Regards.