• sausage646

river - bet/fold?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 9.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) 3, J, K (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1.20, BB calls $0.90.

Turn: ($3.05) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.65, BB calls $1.65.

River: ($6.35) 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.33, BB raises to $16.28, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $8.68.
  • 4 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      Flop: Why raise him? Why turning our hand into bluff when we get such a good odds to hit our outs. Even if he's fish he might shove some KQo and we have to fold our FD. I don't like your raise, even if your intention is to get initiative. What if we miss the turn and he checks to us, we can't bluff if we know he's calling.

Turn: Why betting only 1/2 pot? To induce raise? I would bet something like $2,30. We have to think of river shoving and getting his stack. At the same time we want to protect from his TP + :heart: FD draws.

River: We invested more than 1/2 of the stack. What is his range for doing this?
      - TP -> AQ
      - 2 pair -> AK, KJ, AJ
      - straight -> QT
      - flush -> Qhigh, J high, T high + lower flushes...

Board: J:diamond: K:heart: 3:heart:  A:heart:  7:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     94.64%  94.64%   0.00% { 9h8h }
      BU      5.36%   5.36%   0.00% { 77, 33, AJs+, KJs, QTs, QhJh, JhTh, Th8h, AJo+, QTo }

I would call his shove.
    • Alan883
      Well you get nice odds just to call flop. You raised flop with a bluff. What is your line if you miss your draw on turn. If you get called you just have to give up your hand.

And also this kind of fish wont fold Kx,Jx so i really think your raise on flop doesnt make much sense.

But here is a thing i have problems facing with to. How to act vs this kind of flop donks.

Well as played i would of course call river. You played for you flush now you get it...and you fold. No way i am folding this....he could easily have sets or two pairs that we beat. So as played no way i am folding that river.
    • Kaitz20

Not sure that he would b/f and then c/f Jx against your flop raise, so I agree to the others and think that flatting flop is better. If you want you can always make moves on the turn even if you don´t hit your flush.
      I´d b/c river, since I don´t think he would play flush that way and he can always bluff or c/rai with set/two pair+ your bet seems quite weak that might also induce shove.

• veriz
      Hello sausage646,

Flop: I am not a big fan of raising here, I doubt that you are making many hands to fold here anyways. And if with the draw and while he even giving us very good why not to just take them? Take the implied odds and reevaluate it on turn.

As played
      Turn: Against such a player I would definitely bet it bigger ~$2,50 even, to make it ready to ship it on river.

As played
      River: Well, while I expect him even sometimes to overplay some trips here while our bet sizes were just too weak I'd consider calling. Also there ain't gonna be many better flushes around. But would be much easier to play the hand by betting the turn bigger and shipping the river yourself. :)

Best Regards.