• 15 replies
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Try NL400 HU
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      How many tables you playing, i usually find opening up more tables help cure boredom :)
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      quit poker.

seriously. If you are bored at NL2, and you are a beginner, then poker isn't for you.
    • Jan217
      Jan217
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      quit poker.

seriously. If you are bored at NL2, and you are a beginner, then poker isn't for you.
      You honestly think poker at higher stakes is less exciting? Sure theoretically the game is the same at all stakes, but theres a part of your brain that you can never turn off that will always generate more excitement when you start playing higher stakes. The key is to divorce that excitement (and all emotions, although not your empathy for the emotions of other players) from your decision making process.

Also the game gets far more interesting at higher stakes and the creativity you can employ in your decision making process in trying to outplay your openents (for me at least) leads to a great deal of excitement. I simply wouldnt get that at nl2 as the optimum strategy vs most players is relatively straight forward since they are just so bad.

That said, by no means should you jump in to high stakes straight away, you need a firm understanding of how to beat nl2 players before you move up stakes and meet all kinds of new, more aggressive and generally more thinking oponents. And of course you need to have a suitable bankroll.

So for now, grind it out, build your bankroll up and in the mean time get your kicks from watching videos (even those at nl50++) and seeing just how cool the game can get.

Then and again, if you just want to make money quit poker and go train to be an accountant. :p
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      the part of the brain you are thinking of is that which is sensitive to risk.

If you are relying on risk to be your only pull to the game, you are so much more likely to become a degenerate gambler imo.

Your love of the game should be your primary draw to the game. If this isn't enough, find a variant you love, or do something else.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I agree with conal and Jan sort of. Conal's whole point of "If you're a beginner and you're bored playing NL2 then poker isn't for you" is something I definitely agree with. As a beginner you shouldn't be getting bored playing poker at all, since you should be enjoying the game. But then obviously at higher stakes it get's more interesting as you can employ different lines and creative plays which makes it more exciting I guess.

Basically, when I was playing NL2 I wasn't bored at all because everything was so new to me. I played a bit of NL5 last night whilst waiting for a tourney to fill up, and I was bored shitless because after i've gained some experience with poker every single decision at NL5 is completely automated, making it boring.

My 2 cents :)
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers

My 2 cents :)
      thats 1bb :)

Play 16-tables so you wont get bored :)

T.
    • Janosikgdy
      Janosikgdy
      Bronze
      usually i masturbate while i play. it helps.
    • 1984ioc
      1984ioc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Janosikgdy
      I thought you were only meant to masturbate while playing roulette no? ;)
    • keoghh
      keoghh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 1984ioc
      I thought you were only meant to masturbate while playing roulette no? ;)
      Think hes referring to the 888 webcam tables no? ;)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      LOL, didn't think it would take this thread long to degenerate! :D
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I've been grinding NL2 for so long... Switched to 6-max to make it more interesting. I single table as I still have more to learn.
    • Wacko118
      Wacko118
      Bronze
      1 table of Nl2? at the point i probably would shoot myself. Be sooooo dull.
      Currently grind 6 tables of nl10, with looking at moving up soon :) which will be exciting.

I played quite a lot of nl25 and some nl50 previously and i used to play on mmorpgs that had poker and other gambling variants built in and i got semi desensitized to winning or losing large amounts of in game currency. Some, when i first started, had taken me a month of playing to acquire.

I just love the game, im not motivated by the money, it is just a bonus.

At the start you should end up rapidly developing a joy while playing. Otherwise it may not be for you.
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      and jizz when u get AA or KK, or when u hit your set. :D
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I have moved the thread to Beginner Questions where it belongs and closed it as it wasn't going anywhere productive

best regards

Thazar