EnterG

• EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Hello i am EnterG and my name is George.I am from Greece and i registered in PS long ago.I lost my ENTIRE bankroll in about two months (the 50$).i thought i could beat them all !Bankroll management was something unknown to me. I didn t see PS site at all no guides forum etc.

At the end of this summer things changed.I started reading articles without playing.And i discovered that poker strategy has a freeroll tournament (THANK YOU POKERSTRATEGY) in Everest in which i am playing.I played about 20 tournaments and i manage to earn about 30$.One time 2nd and one time 3rd was my best positions in the tournament.

Then i started to play cash games.Now i got 170 $ and i am playing nl5.Big progress i think but i did that with lot of hours.And i am still not so good...

I decided to read and watch EVERY article written here.And now i am at this point.I haven t read even one silver article :(

I have a friend here who helped me a lot.His name in forum is XZaar and i know him personally.I think the 50% of the things i know is from him.Discussions,suggestions and even playing together in my limits really helped me alot!That s all for now i think.I hope i ll be a good student here :D
  • 57 replies
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      hi george,

welcome to our beginner's course! :)
      i guess you learned the lesson on brm the hard way. congrats on your tourney finishes. hopefully this course helps you on your journey.

smiles,
      wendy
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Hi wendy and thanks for the reply ! Let s start ...

>>>Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?<<<

First of all money.I like the game also because it includes strategy,odds,risk,luck,psychology...So many things ! So few cards ! And you play alone.So all depends on you.Simply ... it s all in your hands .

>>>Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?<<<

Well that s a tough one...I thing first is calling.I call often especially players who got big AFg.Also i am weak against a raise when i got nothing.Tilt is always a possibility although lately i try to overcome it and be calm.And i do it.
      Basically i thing that i play better preflop than in the flop turn and river.Usually when draws are shown i think that i am behind with weaker hands.
      Finally i thing i don t play well against calling stations.They go to the river with a middle pair no kicker.If i don t hit with AK pfr for example there is no way to send away a player like this.If i conti he calls,if i check he raise.Difficult situations for me so far ...

>>>Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?<<<

Tight means you play few hands (the correct ones),which mean you have more odds against other players who play a wide range.Especially in lower limits (which i am now) i think is the best way to play.Few bluffs,stong draws and made hands is the tight style.
      Aggresive means you play your hands and try to get the best value (the more money) you can every time.If you have made hands this is more easy.Also you play aggressively with strong draws.In one word aggressive = bet .
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Do i need to make something else to continue ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply and the advices veriz ;) I am looking forward to continue.
      I am also reading articles at the same time and try to learn new things ! Thanks again !
      Should i go now to the next lesson ? Or i need to do sth else ?
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Should i go now to the next lesson ? Or i need to do sth else ? (Sorry for posting again)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by EnterG
      Should i go now to the next lesson ? Or i need to do sth else ? (Sorry for posting again)
      Oh, damn. Somehow I managed not to post the answer... wtf? Sorry. :( But anyways, yeah you can take the next lesson. :) You can even post many lessons together.
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply veriz ... I am going to class now :D
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: LESSON 2 :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

The only hand i would play different than suggested in the BSS SHC is the face card offsuit.I mean 10Jo-KQo .If they are limpers behind why i shouldn t call a hand like KQo ? I am in position and in many cases limpers are calling with worst hands than that.Of course it depents on the opponent and in a A4 sheet you can t include everything.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

Questions ... I think against a 3 bet i have some questions not so if i am the 1st aggressor.There are few people who 3 bet more than usual.More than usual means more than the expected range (AA KK QQ AKs or AKo) . They can t have these cards so often as their 3 bet % . So how do you play against them ? 4 bet with a hand like JJ or AQs ?
      I once made an all in to a maniac with 1010 against his 3bet.And i was totally correct.
      And i am doing it against such players.And i am most of the times correct on my reads.
      Also a HUGE problem for me is what hands i must call when someone raised.I am really not sure and i often make mistakes (except pairs or AK of course).

I made only two posts with hands evaluation but there will be more in the future :

1)nl5 AA
      2)nl5 AQo.

I think my second example needs a little discussion.What do you do if your opponent has about 10% 3bet ?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

MP2 is AKo and MP3 is 5 % :
      Equity Win | Tie
      MP2 46.32% | 37.92% | 8.41% AdKh
      MP3 53.68% |45.27% | 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I am going to class now

:f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Hopefully you are talking about raising those offsuited broadway cards? If so... Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

So how do you play against them ?

That's a question which can't be really answered by default. Since there can be so many different lines picked. Against some we 4bet, against some we fold, against some we Call. Would really advice you to post the hands so we could take a look and I am pretty sure we will find out how to play them.

I think my second example needs a little discussion.What do you do if your opponent has about 10% 3bet ?

As I said, if you expect the opponent to 3bet loose there and very wide then against his stack you should rather just get it in than Call. Calling ain't gonna bring you far since you had to fold on so many flops. :(

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the School so far. Some more points earned.
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      I was away from this school and now i think i need to get back again.Don t remember where to start or where to continue.
      I was playing poker so long reading articles and watching videos.But i think i have a problem.I am stack at NL5 long time now.I think is more than it should.
      I reach NL10 i lose and then back to NL5 again.This happened 3 times.
      And i really need to win the double buy ins to what i lost to reach NL10 again.

Sorry to be away so long.What i must do now ? Should i go to lesson 3 or do something else ?

Thanks in advance !!!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hey mate,

good to have you back. Just continue where you stopped, so Homework #3. That kind of up/down moving has happened a lot of poker players and not only you. The same happened for me couple of times and we have to get used to that. It's pretty obvious that when you get a upswing this is usually a cause of moving up the limits and then afterwards the upswing wont last enough -> after every upswing there may come a downswing and that happens on NL10. :) So maybe at some point it's more safer to wait a bit with moving up the limit.

But if you have been doing that few times then it most likely means that you still have got couple of leaks to fix and that causes you losing most of the money.
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply and the help veriz ! I really appreciate the cooperation of the coaches-other members.
      I was away from the forum and i was wrong.Now i am back again.
      Lately i managed my study time : i have bookmarked all the pages i use in PS site:

a)Articles for SnG
      b)Articles about BSS
      c)Videos
      d)This page.

Hopefully i get unstucked from the up and downsings.With a help of a friend (Xzaar in this forum.He plays nl200).On night private coaching was enough to get my 4buy-ins back in nl10.I was moving down when i was losing 5 buy-ins this wasn t correct also i think.

That s all for now i am going to finish my 3rd lesson.Thanks again !
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      That's great to hear that you have some friend who plays high-stakes. :) Always faster and easier to learn.
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club: LESSON 3 :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:

So i am back again.I had to study all over from the beginning because i didn t see the coaching videos.A good refresh at the articles also helped.

Question 1:
      You are holding K :spade: Q :spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3 :diamond: 3 :club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J :spade: 5 :diamond: 3 :spade: ?

Preflop equity :

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs Hero
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c Opponent

Board:

With flop 3 :diamond: 3 :club: things change :
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

sorry to ask a noob question veriz. Why is equity and win different preflop ?
      It s the same thing ? It s the chance to win right ? And what tie means in equilab ?
      And sorry for sawing wrong.When i write the message the equity,win,tie is in the correct place (i did that with space).But after writing the post it is sawing in the beginning so they are seen wrong.Don t know how to fix this ?(

Question 2:
      What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2:club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

I would fold there.The board is too draw heavy.Although there is a chance for the nut flush on the river there are so many other cards i would not like to see also.
      Miniraise usually means that the opponent want to make me call his bet.
      Maybe in this example has the same flushdraw also.But why risk ?

Question 3:
      Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

JJ vs draw

KK vs draw

I think i have a problem postflop when a draw appears.Don t know what s the correct move there.Especially if i raise and someone reraise big.I have payed a lot of draws.
      And against a reraise sometimes i don t know what to do.Usually reraise are sets as i have seen so far especially from players with low AF.
      Should i give up everytime a draw appears ? Everyone in my limits chase flush . Should i bet pot and not 2/3 for example if i have a very strong hand like a set ?

I also think i have a problem with calling big bets . I win many small pots but i lose the big ones.What should i do ? Never call a big bet except from nuts ?

Thanks in advance !
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

Win means how often you win the hand. Tie means if you split with the opponent. Equity overall tells you total which includes also tie. Win = Equity - Tie.

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

Should i give up everytime a draw appears ? Everyone in my limits chase flush . Should i bet pot and not 2/3 for example if i have a very strong hand like a set ?

For bet sizing, just post hands and you can practice them there. I will tell you either your sizing is good or not. :)

I also think i have a problem with calling big bets . I win many small pots but i lose the big ones.What should i do ? Never call a big bet except from nuts ?

You most likely just calling down too loose, try posting hands, it will help you. ;)

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      Thanks for your time and effort veriz!I guess i failed on my answer to the last hand.
      I thought about calling but i thought the situation was a trap.
      Anyway thanks again i am going to next lesson now ! ;)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by EnterG
      Thanks for your time and effort veriz!I guess i failed on my answer to the last hand.
      I thought about calling but i thought the situation was a trap.
      Anyway thanks again i am going to next lesson now ! ;)
      Good luck mate, if you have any questions just feel free to post it here. :)
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
      I did sth silly veriz. :( As you can see here i started to watch videos from the bottom.
      For week 3 i saw the lesson 5 video (lol).It was the 3rd from the bottom.
      Nevermind i saw the 3rd and 4th now and i will see the 5th again after i complete my 4th lesson.
      If i saw the 3rd i would not make the mistake above about the call in lesson 3 question.
      Maybe i should practice more about odds and equity.
      Anyway.I will post lesson 4 soon.Something else.I can t really find a hand with no answers in evaluation for the lesson 4 question.What should i do ?
      Thanks !