kefkef

• kefkef
      kefkef
      Bronze
      Brief introduction:

- Who am I?
      I'm kefkef, 19 years old and I live in Belgium. I'm playing NL2 right now, but I want to beat NL2 and NL4.

- Experiences?
      I'm start playing online poker after I became 18. First I used to play facebook zynga poker or just with friends ^^

The last year I started and stopped a lot due to schoolwork, but now I changed and I'm studying something different. Now I have more free time, which I can spend on music and poker.

I recently have holdem manager installed in my own graph made me cry. I'm a huge losing variance noob I want to work on my basic skills and use this guided lesson package.

- Graph
  • 6 replies
    • kefkef
      kefkef
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

I'd like to invest the winnings of my poker in music, since I love to play instruments. I want to make from poker a second job, since it would be nice to have a nice hobby and earn money from it.

Last but not least, I want to meet JoJo in real-life, after I bought a 1st-class plane ticket to America en sleep in a beautiful hotel!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

My biggest leak, is my post-flop game, since I find it hard to think what I want to do with a hand, while I'm playing. When I post a hand, that's the time I start thinking how should have played, in stead of the way I played it.

Basically I'm working on analyzing my hand while playing. Should I check/call/raise/fold? What's the idea behind my check/call/raise/fold? Is this the best play? Should I protect my hand, when the board is very very wet? What hand-range does he have? etc etc

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Tight means you're playing the hands described in the shc. Playing tight avoids you being in marginal situations, which er very hard for a beginner to make the right decision.

Aggressive means you want to invest as much money as you want if you're holding a strong hand. You're betting for value. Though, being aggressive doesn't mean you can't fold a hand. Even with a strong hand as KK it occurs that you're beaten on the flop.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt, do you adjust somehow to it? Do you understand the triggers what make you tilt?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • kefkef
      kefkef
      Bronze
      A couple days ago, I was tilting badly and then I opened up more tables, to earn the money back which I lost against a fishy player.

Then I realized that I didnt had to do that, because eventually the fish will pay me of. I don't have to adjust my play just because of one hand. So, basically what I've done, is closing all the tables and took a break from playing poker.

I've done some homework, did some running, watched some episodes of a serie I like to watch. That day I didn't play poker anymore and the next day I was able to "recover" the lost money.

Basically what I'm going to do if I find myself tilting, just closing the tables and do something else...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Well...
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Also of course don't forget to overview your sessions which is the most important part. ;)
    • kefkef
      kefkef
      Bronze
      Sigh, I hope this course doesn't have do be done in a certain time limit. I was working on a project for school and after it on exams. Didn't really could find the time to play poker and analyze stuff.

Therefore, I wanted to ask. If you guys seem to have a time problem and you can't do both playing a session and reading articles/evaluating hands. Where should you focus on?

I mean, let say you normally have a 1h session and then a 1h evaluating and reading articles, but then one day you only have 1h or even half an hour. Do you focus on reading/evaluating, do a short session or don't do something at all?

Tomorrow, I'm going to make my second homework. I just finished the articles and video's, but I'm to tired right now.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sigh, I hope this course doesn't have do be done in a certain time limit. I was working on a project for school and after it on exams. Didn't really could find the time to play poker and analyze stuff.

Nope, it doesn't have any time limit, feel free to post whenever you have time.

Therefore, I wanted to ask. If you guys seem to have a time problem and you can't do both playing a session and reading articles/evaluating hands. Where should you focus on?

Definitely don't do both! That's the worst idea to get distraction during the game. You wont concentrate enough and wont get your game better with multitasking. Separate them!

I mean, let say you normally have a 1h session and then a 1h evaluating and reading articles, but then one day you only have 1h or even half an hour. Do you focus on reading/evaluating, do a short session or don't do something at all?

Just make some kind of schedule for yourself, write down into notepad for example what you do when. Don't do them both at same time like reading and watching videos and playing. :)