Poker Coaching

• Meemawuk
      Meemawuk
      Bronze
      Hullo! I'm considering investing some cash in coaching so I'm looking for people to bombard me with stories about how they couldnt beat $10NL, got 10 hours of coaching, and then started crushing $200NL. I'm playing SH is that changes peoples opinon at all.

Also a discussion about the advantages of coaching would be appreciated. What sort of goals people have set themselves in the past (volume, study hours, etc) would also be helpful.

I'm thinking it might not be practical for me to do this at the moment but I'd prefer to be convinced otherwise.

Cheers!

Meem.
  • 4 replies
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Hey Meema,

I'll contribute to the thread for you!

Firstly, I'll point out I have never received coaching, so some of what I say might be slightly off.

1. 10 hours, NL10 -> NL200
      Well I'm pretty sure you want hear any stories like that here. For one, you'd need to be doubling your bankroll every two hours to get there! But I'm pretty sure you were joking about crushing NL200 in ten hours of coaching! From what I've heard, coaching is more likely to be a slow and steady process. And the amount of benefit you'd gain from 10 hours coaching would vary dramatically depending on the work you put in to your game outside of coaching time.

2. Advantages of Coaching
      Well this can obviously vary from person to person. But i think having someone else with more experience and knowledge than yourself to give you feedback and analysis of your play can help you find leaks that you may be too close to to see; leaks that you see so often, you don't even realise that they are leaks any more. I also think that having someone to talk to and try to explain how you played hands like you did can help you think about different ways to play similar hands in the future, and enable you to vary your lines and adapt your strategies.

3. Goals
      Again, I feel this is very individual specific. It will depend on your starting point, your drive, your speed of learning and willingness to take on board feedback.

If you are seriously considering coaching, I'd recommend having a look around the coaching sub-forums to find a coach who is your level and plays the type of game you want to improve in.
    • noisecore
      noisecore
      Bronze
      I dont think coaching is worth it under 50NL but if you get a good coach they can make you a winning midstakes player.

but good coaching is expensive.
      Alan jackson from bluefire charges 1000$/5 sessions but he can really turn you into a winning midstakes player.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Meemawuk,

Well, I have few stories in my Private Coaching thread:
      Private Coaching

Best Regards.
    • buzzinowt
      buzzinowt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noisecore
      I dont think coaching is worth it under 50NL but if you get a good coach they can make you a winning midstakes player.

but good coaching is expensive.
      Alan jackson from bluefire charges 1000$/5 sessions but he can really turn you into a winning midstakes player.
      Coaching is cheaper for lower stakes.