My Thoughts on PokerStrategy.com

• bj355
      bj355
      Bronze
      Welcome to my blog. I've been summoned by the intelligent minds of PokerStrategy.com to write my very own blog about my experiences on PokerStrategy.com and poker. From what I take, when the site was recently opened to US citizens the higher ups felt a need for some familiarization with the US market. So, they made a little promotion offering upgraded memberships for US citizens. Foreigners need not complain, as we are not offered the $50 starting capital. X(

So, I'm here to provide my 100% original, 100% unbiased opinion on PokerStrategy.com and whatever else I want to include. I will begin by giving you some insight on myself and conclude with my first of many opinions on a certain factor of this website.

I live up the Northern California coast, in a small town called Fort Bragg. The main product of my area is lumber, which there is in great abundance. A great deal of my time is spent involving poker as of late. I'm not going to lie and say I'm full of poker experience, because I'm not. I have played poker for a long time and I'm very smart, I just haven't had any poker coaching or teaching. As a result, a site like this comes in handy.

The first thing I'm going to talk about is the vast database of articles.

Before I go any further, I should get one thing straight. No matter what package you pick, the ideas and opinions in the articles are not new. They are intelligent poker concepts, but don't expect that much personal insight here. (not to say you won't find this in other areas of the website, which will be discussed in further postings) However, I can give you a few reasons that these articles can be helpful and are worth paying your money for.

If you were to buy a platinum membership, you would have everything you needed to succeed in the mid to lower limits. Every topic is covered and receives it's own article. You can either read through them however you choose or follow one of the specific learning paths. If you are a member or decide to join, it should be helpful to your game to read the majority of these articles, even if it is just to touch up. The most important thing, as I referenced earlier is everything is covered. If you were to do random Internet searches, you would find a lot of helpful articles. However, even after long hours of study, you still may have some leaks that you would not have if you had every bit of information. I could compare reading all the PokerStrategy.com articles to reading one full book and reading various articles around the Internet to reading half of two books.

From my two week long impression of the site, the articles section has been a favorite. The minimum rank to get a reasonable benefit is Silver, in my opinion. Silver and Bronze have most of the basic concepts and some advanced articles as well. There obviously is much more a sophisticated content for the higher membership groups, Gold, Platinum and even an article or two which I sadly cannot read which are reserved for Diamond only.

Final grade: A-
      Great for the intermediate player, but some more advanced players may become bored reading things they already know.
  • 8 replies
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      Didn't even notice pokerstrategy is now open to US citizens. Where exactly do you play poker? Have some laws been passed that I don't know of?
    • bj355
      bj355
      Bronze
      I believe Poker Strategy wants to expand past the current online market. I play poker on Minted. No recent changes to poker laws.
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      Hey bj355,

thanks for sharing your impressions here!

It's already valuable feedback and I'm looking forward to following this thread!

Best,
      Lutz
    • bj355
      bj355
      Bronze
      Thanks. I'm glad it's what you wanted.
    • bj355
      bj355
      Bronze
      My next installment is on the ever popular video section. The videos make up for what the strategy articles lack.

The strategy articles have one simple purpose: strategy. No thoughts, no ideas, no interesting and unusual strategies. Only textbook strategy. Roam into the video section and you will find all of the above and more.

I mentioned that the videos had more abstract opinions, but they also are much more advanced. (some of them) For an advanced player, you might as well just skip most of the articles and advance onto the videos. There are videos covering nearly every subject and certainly every game. (not that much for Stud, Badugi, etc. but there are a few) One of the most common examples are session reviews, which are plentiful. It's very interesting to watch these excellent players play and listen to their thought process. I've always thought the best way people learn is by watching and that's exactly what this is. I have gone through a great deal of these videos and I would recommend the videos by TwiceT.

Now, most of the videos are somehow related to strategy. However, there are numerous videos with entirely different topics. There are "Fun" videos, which are interviews as well as live play by professionals. There are guides, which are guides for certain poker related things, such as how to become a successful SNG player and Holdem Manager 2. And last but not least there are Psychology videos, which are on poker psychology. (what a surprise)

That's pretty much all you will find in the video section.

Grade: A
      They're a lot more fun than articles and the amount of material is incredible. I recommend Gold+ to get the most benefit.
    • bj355
      bj355
      Bronze
      Well, I'm stumped on what to include in my next post. I could talk about the live coaching sessions, but those aren't that easy because you usually have to download the software of a .row poker website. After a bit of thought, I decided to talk about the forums.

The best part of these forums are the hand evaluation forums. Post a hand and there should be replies shortly. There are forums and subforums for every category, from MTTs to heads up cash. There are Poker Strategy coaches who are there to evaluate hands, as well as a wide variety of forum members who are happy to lend a hand.

They also have standard forums any poker forum would have, such as forums for the poker websites and the usual off topic forums

Overall, a pretty good place to get a hand evaluated and hang out for a while.

Grade: B+
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Originally posted by bj355
      Well, I'm stumped on what to include in my next post. I could talk about the live coaching sessions, but those aren't that easy because you usually have to download the software of a .row poker website. After a bit of thought, I decided to talk about the forums.
      Quite many coaches at least from those I have been following use join.me service so in these cases there is no need for any client download.
    • bj355
      bj355
      Bronze
      Thanks ghaleon

My next entry is about a certain group of MTT videos. Jonathan Little has produced 111 videos for PokerStrategy.com and they are without doubt the best MTT videos available anywhere. A couple months back I watched all the Jonathan Little MTTs videos that Platinum members qualified for. I feel this improved my game tremendously. So much, that I feel I could make money in MTTs at any stake. If you are a good MTT player, these videos will turn you into a great MTT player.

I especially liked some of his old live sessions, such as a day during the 2009 WCOOP where he played a monster session, recording it all. If you watch even a handful of his videos, I can guarantee you will always know the right spot to raise, resteal, cbet, checkraise, etc. in MTTs. Just outstanding videos, an obvious A+.