When you're playing a session

• Rasken
      Rasken
      Bronze
      When you're playing a cashgame session and you're against an opponent or a couple of opponents what is your train of thought to get a good read and figure out how to play your hand??

Also about AK, if you raise early position and someone reraises you, do you flatcall his reraise or do you push all-in/reraise ?? I get the feeling that i should stop going all-in because i'm almost always below since most of the time they got pocketpair of somesort ( or AQ which tend to beat my AK all the time :f_confused: )

I'm currently playin NL2 -> NL4
  • 2 replies
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rasken
      When you're playing a cashgame session and you're against an opponent or a couple of opponents what is your train of thought to get a good read and figure out how to play your hand??

Also about AK, if you raise early position and someone reraises you, do you flatcall his reraise or do you push all-in/reraise ?? I get the feeling that i should stop going all-in because i'm almost always below since most of the time they got pocketpair of somesort ( or AQ which tend to beat my AK all the time :f_confused: )

I'm currently playin NL2 -> NL4
      For the first question, to try and get a good read on players I make sure that I instantly check the hand history after every hand they play to see what they had and then you can make a note of how they played that hand and if they did anything that you could exploit (called a big raise pre-flop with a weak hand etc). Also make a mental note (or use Poker Elephant) to see how much hands they are actually playing.

Regarding AK after you raise and get a raise back at you. It depends on the style of player and the stacks you have. I personally just call with AK in this kind of situation.
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      its very difficult to adjust optimally against your opponents. it takes a really long time and lots of theoretical knowledge and experience.

most often, learning and understanding fundamental strategy will help you to play well when you're starting out. until you really develop these skills everything else will involve to much guess work.

Deviating from standard strategies usually involves observing multiple accounts of a player expressing a certain tendency or pattern of play. Then you have to make inferences based on this tendency to try and understand what your read says about your opponent. Next you can try and decide what the correct adjustment is, and then implementing it into your strategy.