NL2, no action on KK/AA

• Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      I don't know what it is, but lately (past week i'd say) my high pocket pairs have been getting 0 action. 0.

Any time I 3bet they fold. any time i open raise everyone folds.

i rarely ever see action with my JJ/QQ either and when I do I'm forced to fold because of undesired flops and lose aggressive opponents. Even when I hit a sneaky set its like they have air and bail after the flop.

is this all just part of NL2? I played NL5/NL10 previously but had a bad losing streak so I decided to try NL2 because I figure it will be a more even competition for me. I'm making consistent money in NL2 but it's such small amounts because I never have strong enough hands to play for stacks, and whenever I go on tilt and ship it with QQ/JJ preflop I always pay for it.

so is it just the way these stakes are played out? where a lot of player just multitable and draw for cheap or play premium hands? anyone have articles or advice about these stakes which might help me in my situation?
  • 37 replies
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      this is simply rigged ....
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      same deal last session i just had... roughly 300 hands in 1 hr and i got AA twice and KK twice.. no action either time, sad sad sad
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      No money on NL2, everyone solid.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      I guess you too tight preflop.
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      If everyone is playing nitty and tight, find a new table. Pre-flop for micros play isn't too difficult to master. I know I could play pretty well pre-flop at NL25. So you're effectively playing NL25 players pre-flop unless you get up and find a table with a couple of donks.
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      ahh, yet again today on NL10 I have AA in BB twice and it gets walked to me BOTH times. holy hell
    • buzzinowt
      buzzinowt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Slurpee

is this all just part of NL2? I played NL5/NL10 previously but had a bad losing streak so I decided to try NL2 because I figure it will be a more even competition for me. I'm making consistent money in NL2 but it's such small amounts because I never have strong enough hands to play for stacks, and whenever I go on tilt and ship it with QQ/JJ preflop I always pay for it.

so is it just the way these stakes are played out? where a lot of player just multitable and draw for cheap or play premium hands? anyone have articles or advice about these stakes which might help me in my situation?
      Everyone gets the same hands, it's entirely how you play them.
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      i never even get a chance to play them though..
    • monty2k
      monty2k
      Bronze
      open wider and make money from less premium holdings, you'll get called/raised more when you start doing this
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      find fish,
      sit on their left,
      ???
      profit.
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kenthmp
      find fish,
      sit on their left,
      ???
      profit.
      this what i've been told by a good friend.. i try and make transition from live to online and already i'm being crushed at micro stakes it's very stressful and rough adjusting to this.

although i think youre right i really need to start picking better tables. usually i just use that auto seat function on PS and similar seat when i need to find new tables.
    • buzzinowt
      buzzinowt
      Bronze
      Two things. Firstly play begins pre flop so obviously you do get a chance to play them. Whether you play them poorly or you're unlucky is unknown to us.

Secondly you should not expect to get paid off with these hands every time or even most of the time. If you take out down pre flop just accept this happens and be happy you win 1.5bb.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it!
    • CrocHunter
      CrocHunter
      Bronze
      Hey dude this is for you number 20 straight out of the strategy section 'Tips for Beginners'

20. Straight forward

A few gaming aspects are starting to emerge. Play straight forward, play what you can.

If you know that you should bet, then do it. Don't start limping aces. Don't avoid contibets if you've hit something good. Don't start throwing unnecessary, inappropriate bluffs around, just because your horoscope says "new paths lead to success."

A sustainable, sensible and ideally, balanced game will lead you to success. And if there's a fold to your 3-bet with aces every time, then that's just the way it is.

Play sensibly, patiently and with concentration, it's the only way you'll gradually make it to the top.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CrocHunter
      just because your horoscope says "new paths lead to success."
      That's just made my day! :f_biggrin:
    • Slurpee
      Slurpee
      Bronze
      Well I've gone broke after a few bad beats and one big mistake on my part which i think put me on tilt and hit the last nail in the coffin.

There goes my $50 Pokerstrategy bankroll heh :P

If anyone can donate me XXX

Till then, playing FPP tournies and freerolls, wish me luck!

[edited by purplefizz: Sorry we do not allow player transfers/asking for money on the forum.]
    • wazawanga
      wazawanga
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kenthmp
      find fish,
      sit on their left,
      ???
      profit.
      this what i've been told by a good friend.. i try and make transition from live to online and already i'm being crushed at micro stakes it's very stressful and rough adjusting to this.

although i think youre right i really need to start picking better tables. usually i just use that auto seat function on PS and similar seat when i need to find new tables.
      if you know the rules of the game , hand strenghts and you still get crush at micros then it's time to quit poker my friend

i've searched your screen name and i've come to this

LandSlide144 Poker Stars Hold'em Stats

Green Warning - This player is loose and passive pre-flop, but aggressive post-flop. Every flop is a good one.

vpip 31 and preflop raise 12 - agression frequency postflop is 50%

this is definitely not a winning style
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      The only time I get action on my Aces and Kings is when I come up against A/K, Q/Q and J/J.

I guess you have to remember that fish wouldn't normally play NL2. Why would they? They came to earn real money, not chump change :P
    • hogzzz
      hogzzz
      Bronze
      At Nl2 i've played about 5000 hands and am up about $20 so far... and I've sorta been having the same problem as you. Then i sort adjusted my game up a little. I only sorta 3 bet AA/KK/QQ against a 3BB raise, or when out of position or when facing a person who doesn't really have tag stats on my hud cos they tend to cold call often. Usually though when facing a raise in position i will call and use my post flop game to determine when to fold. However I don't really see the big money in these hands as it can be difficult to play them and a lot of the time you may be playing to control the pot and rarely stacking people with only an overpair. The trick at these limits i think is to limp behind on the button or cutoff with speculative hands as you will almost always be payed off if you play the draw well. Also you easily stack people with top pair with sets in these games so using the call20 rule you can easily make profit when safely flopping a big hand.

I find that the way you make moneys in these games is to make sure you don't pay your opponents off and to not try to force things. Bluffing is essentially useless unless your facing a person with tag HUD stats.

A few people will disagree with my methods but i feel my adjustments are helping my winrate and are working