[NL2-NL10] NL2 KA needed max protection or not?

• anhvusa
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A.
      MP2 posts deadblind, 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 checks, 2 folds, BU raises to $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.14, MP2 folds, BU calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.52) 5, 3, K (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40, BU folds.

Turn: ($1.32) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.26, MP1 raises to $1.41, Hero calls $0.15.

River: ($4.14) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.14.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(K A).
      MP1 shows two pairs, kings and sevens(7 K).

MP1 wins with two pairs, kings and sevens(7 K).

The MP1 was quite Loose and Passive (can call him Calling Station). In this spot, I expect him to pay me off with a dominated hand Kx, and I decide to go AI (I think I missed click on Turn, because I committed to the pot :D ). Was it right to take too much aggression with him like that? I think recently I've got problem with betsizing!
  • 1 reply
    • Wriggers
      If you are confident that he will call you down with flushdraws and Kx hands no matter the bet size then your line is perfectly fine here. Although you can bet full pot on the flop in order to make a turn shove under the size of the pot and decrease fold equity from worse Kx hands :)

Of course you can always improve your bet sizing in order to set us up for better sized shoves on later streets or just to manipulate the size of the pot.

For example if you bet full pot on the flop and villain calls going to the turn we have a pot of $1.56 and villain's stack size is $1.29. This makes for a much better sized shove on the turn. Rather than betting $1.41 into a $1.32 pot we can bet $1.29 into a $1.56 pot :) Which do you think he's more likely to call with a worse hand? :)