MTTs for show, cash for doe, true or false?

• 12 replies
    • lynius
      lynius
      Bronze
      I've generally heard that you're better off playing the one you've prefer.

Every player finds that each had advantages and disadvantages.

I'm personally more likely to opt for a cash game over a MTT due to lower variance (It's a fact that MTT are high variance) and due to time commitments (I don't usually have a 4 hour block to play poker in).
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      I moved this thread to a more suitable board.

Regards,
      Richard
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I think that saying is kind of true for professional poker players. They can make much more money playing cash tables but get more recognition and fame if they win tournaments.

For low level players, like lynius has said it depends what you prefer.

Personally I am the opposite I can much more profit from playing small buy-in deepstack tournaments than I ever could playing cash at the same buy in. But I am sure there are a lot of others who can make hundreds of $s on cash but if they played tournaments would not be as successful.
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Fair enough I was just interested what people thought, I generally go by the rule of you ll
      Do better playing what you prefer
    • KozakFB
      KozakFB
      Bronze
      MTT

I'm not patient enough to play cash games.

In tournaments levels keep increasing which forces action and makes you think more about your range and your opponents range.

I'm a firm believer that tournament poker players are the best poker players as they are forced to adjust to the game every time the level changes.
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KozakFB
      MTT

I'm not patient enough to play cash games.

In tournaments levels keep increasing which forces action and makes you think more about your range and your opponents range.

I'm a firm believer that tournament poker players are the best poker players as they are forced to adjust to the game every time the level changes.
      We have different experience :)
      I prefer cash game because I'm not patient enough to wait the schedule of MTT. You can not be success at CG if you do not have knowledge about "range" and "adjustment". I think "range", "adjustment" and "position" are 3 main subject to learn if someone want to play CG.
    • ilrasso
      ilrasso
      Bronze
      I would say the most important difference to me is that in MTTs you have to play until u bust or win. In cash you can stand up at any time.

For players who have many mental and psychological game flaws, it can be hard to keep playing their A-game, and in an MTT they will be forced to then play their B or C (or Z) game for part of the tourney.

In a cash game one can, with discipline, stand up when ones game starts to deteriorate.

Especially big MTTs can take a very long time, and such caters best to people who can stay focused for prolonged periods.

I remember once buying into the daily $ at FTP at like 10 at night. (4k players 1$rebuy) I was at final table like 6 next morning, very tired and happy :D

This also means that for the players who are good at dealing with the tourney format and its implications, will get an additional edge over all the player who do not know what they are getting into. I suspect many of the crazy-bad plays - especially at micro and low stakes MTTs are results of people underestimating the obligations of the format.

They think ohh i can win 1st prize of 2500$ for just a 2$ buyin; lets go! After 30 minutes they realize that it will take 9 hours and they have work tomorrow.

I would love to play some MTTs myself, but i suck real bad planning. So as for now the above mentioned reasons makes it -ev for me to play them.

I hope this helps and is reasonably clear... :D
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      thanks for all your opinions people :D im in limbo, as ive been grinding the 2.50$ 180 man turbos which are a hell of a lot quicker than tornys but yeahhh.

However i did sit down at a SH deep stack ante NL10 table for $25 (1/4 of my BR, thought id try cash and play some deep stack poker :P ) i ended up getting up with $60 and quite enjoyed it :P
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      :facepalm:

just remember, you cant always be running that hot.
      but i guess you either respect brm or learn it the hard way :f_biggrin:
      then again, this only really matters if you do not want to deposit again. :s_cool:

i've totally been in the same spot as you. i tried sng's but i suck at them :f_p: so back to cash games for me :D
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      ahhh now ive been sucessful in both SnGs and MTTs, ive never really played cash tbh, never more than 2 days grinding of it anyways.

And i know purple, i dont usually do that, however i am using a 40BI for $2.50 180 man turbos, because id rather play those and deposit again than spend time grinding the $1 ones till i have 80-100BIs ($250) to play the $2.50 with really safe BRM
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      and also do anyone of you know how i can post a link in my signature, as you can see ive done it but its just the URL not a clean link just saying my blog you can click on
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      well alright on the brm then :) . makes sense.
      if you've always been an sng player, then just keep in mind there will be lots more things to study if you want to switch to cash games. other than that, i dont really see any obstacle in trying.