• Dasisdas86
      Hi everyone. My name is Sandro. I'm from Georgia. I am 24 years old :)

I started playing poker about 1 year ago at facebook, Zynga poker (play money). My initial capital was 2K. In 3-4 months I had over 200 millions, and I was really very proud. My friends on FB were asking me for some "money", I was generous and feeling myself like a millionaire :)

I started playng for real money, at the end of june, 2011 at Europe-bet (poker site in Georgia). I read some articles of Sit'n'Go and MTT strategies, at Pokerstars.com and played ABC poker. Mostly, I was playing MTT-s. I thought cash games was not for me. In august, Somewhere in the internet I found a link of Pokerstrategy. I tried to make quiz, without reading any articles. Surprisingly, I passed it on the first try and in one week received $50 Free bonus at Partypoker. Which I lost in 1 month, because of poor bankroll management and lack of discipline. Nowadays, I play cash games also, NL2 at pokerstars (I have 50$ there, without making any deposit yet, through freerolls) and NL20, NL30, NL50 at Europe-bet. But, still my main capital came from MTTs. Brilliant articles, which I've read at Pokerstrategy helped me a lot. Nowadays, I can say, that I'm a winning player. My total profit is 4-5K for today.

Now I'm going to make a deposit at Partypoker, to return back my gold member status at pokerstrategy. Also going to start cash games from NL2, increase my bankroll and conquest higher limits gradually at Partypoker. :)

Best regards, Sandro
  • 4 replies
    • Dasisdas86
      Homework 1:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My primary motivation for playing poker is to make money, earn some initial capital. My secondary motivation is a perspective of becoming a professional player in the future, playing at the final table of the World Series of Poker tournament in Las Vegas. Besides, education is another reason why I choosed poker. It makes me think, observe, analyse. Helps me to improve my logical and strategic skills. I never get bored of it. I feel, this is the game I will play forever :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Nevertheless, I'm a winning player, I have very many weaknesses: (I try to struggle against them every single day) First of all, it is TILT. I try my best, but still I cannot took controll over it. Another weakness is: When I get tired, for instance, I played 3 or 4 hours and now I'm sitting at the final table. I lose controll over my aggression. Sometimes I play too aggresively, sometimes I'm too passive. Also I need to work very hard on post flop play, I do not know precisely even the basic principles while playing on the flop. These are the main reasons, why I'm going to take this course. To fix many leaks, To adjust my play on the flop and the later streets. I can say, that I'm Nitty player, I am here to become a good, TAG player.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

I would compare Tight/Aggressive play to Guerrilla warfare. The strategy and tactics of guerrilla warfare tend to focus around the use of a small, mobile force (mostly playing only good hands, that are few) competing against a larger, more unwieldy one (playing against weak hands, that are significantly more than good hands) :) You choose the appropriate situation to attack and after you attack you do your best, to win the war. This is the playing style I appreciate and would like to follow it! :)
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course. Some points earned.
    • Dasisdas86
      Homework 2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

1) SHC says, that if someone raised we should fold hands like AQs, Ajs, ATs. When raise is standard, I would rather call with such hands, when the pot is multiwayd. If I hit flush, I have nuts and hands like: Set, 2 pairs may give us some value.

2) I would limp hands like J9s-64s, at multi pots, when I'm SB. I may get velue if I hit a straight, flush can also give us some value. I would consider to limp such hands from CO and BU when there seems to be many fishy players, that may give us some value.

3) I would steal blinds with wider range, from CO and BU. Also, stealing from SB is OK. For instance, SHC says that we should fold hands like T9s-54s when we are SB and everyone else folded before us. Stealing still can be a good option, if he calls the hand is pretty much playable on later streets. Also, in some situations it might be profitable, to isolate from limpers.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I don't have any questions at the moment regarding with preflop play, because I've already asked them at live coachings :)

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      SB (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, 9.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 raises to $0.04, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.03, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.14) J, K, 9 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.11, MP2 raises to $0.36, MP3 raises to $0.64, Hero calls $0.53, MP2 raises to $1.89, MP3 calls $0.07, Hero calls $1.25.

Turn: ($4.63) J (3 players)

River: ($4.63) 2 (3 players)

Final Pot: $4.63.

Here is the link: NL2: Set, Multi-way pot, Wet board

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

As Equilab says, our equity is approximately 46% :)
    • veriz
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

1) Those hands are often times overplayed and if you ain't that good postflop then it's rather recommend folding them. But if you think you are good enough and know the opponent and are able to overplay him then playing those hands with Call is also fine, especially that they are suited and are good for multiway pots.

2) Limping is one of the worst plays! You wont ever play this way your hands profitable, so strongly advice to quit doing that.

3) Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. They can be very easily be balanced with even wider range. Depending on the opponent you can as well put a wider stealing range. Against some tight opponents who give up their blinds either preflop or postflop, why not to adjust? Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.