NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($1.98)
      BB ($4.60)
      UTG ($11.34)
      UTG+1 ($1.77)
      Hero ($11.10)
      BTN ($10.70)

Dealt to Hero J:diamond: Q:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, BTN calls $0.40, fold, fold, fold

FLOP ($1.05) 6:diamond: Q:diamond: 3:heart:

Hero checks, BTN bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

TURN ($2.55) 6:diamond: Q:diamond: 3:heart: Q:club:

Hero checks, BTN bets $1.90, Hero calls $1.90

RIVER ($6.35) 6:diamond: Q:diamond: 3:heart: Q:club: 8:heart:

Hero checks, BTN bets $5.70, Hero calls $5.70

Hero shows J:diamond: Q:spade:
      (Pre 50%, Flop 5.3%, Turn 15.9%)

BTN shows 6:club: 6:spade:
      (Pre 50%, Flop 94.7%, Turn 84.1%)

BTN wins $16.57
  • 7 replies
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Preflop: Isolate with bigger raise - $0,45 or $0,50.

Flop: Why do you check to him? There is FD and A or K may come on the turn and you won't like. It's especially very tricky since you're OOP for the rest of the hand. I would therefore bet $0,75, not more because board is pretty dry. And even if hand ends here we're happy since BU looks ok player and he had the position on us. He is however calling us with Q and FD here. Problem is that usually his preflop range doesn't include QT and we're often behind if he has AQ, KQ. I still think we have to bet and evaluate on the turn.

Turn: This card changes nothing. Only thing that could change is him having 88-JJ and be convinced that he has better hand. I wouldn't expect that from a tag. AQ or KQ seem less likely since we have one, but when he bets for the second time it looks strong. We have to make a decision on the turn, if we call we have to be prepared to call also the river bet.
      I would cbet flop and cbet turn. If I got raised I would fold or shove, there is not sense in cold calling and playing river OOP, with J kicker folding would be better.

River: Doesn't change much. When he value bets 3 streets it looks very strong to me. If I would be playing my A game I would lay it down since we can't beat much here, since QT or lower kicker is highly unlikely. Even if he has QJ he's probably not playing it as aggressive. Also I don't think he has KK, AA because he would probably play it differently preflop. C/f would probably be the best line.

I would cbet flop and turn and c/f if he bets it big. I don't like giving him free cards.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello wnbMG,

Flop: Why do you Check in first place? You should rather consider betting here and protecting your hand than turning it into bluff-catcher.

As played
      Turn: Really dumb spot while being OOP and couple of draws even possible. I'd most likely just Check/Raise here to protect my hand rather than Check/Call. But to avoid exactly such spots just bet yourself on all streets, would be much easier to play. :)

As played
      River: Well, I don't really see many hands what we beat here. :( Only something like QT since I doubt that he would even have Q9 or anything similar in his range. Wouldn't over-value any PPs/Pairs either. Check/Fold should be the line here.

Best Regards.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Originally posted by veriz
      Hello wnbMG,

Flop: Why do you Check in first place? You should rather consider betting here and protecting your hand than turning it into bluff-catcher.

As played
      Turn: Really dumb spot while being OOP and couple of draws even possible. I'd most likely just Check/Raise here to protect my hand rather than Check/Call. But to avoid exactly such spots just bet yourself on all streets, would be much easier to play. :)

As played
      River: Well, I don't really see many hands what we beat here. :( Only something like QT since I doubt that he would even have Q9 or anything similar in his range. Wouldn't over-value any PPs/Pairs either. Check/Fold should be the line here.

Best Regards.
      His bet is that big that with raise we commit ourselves. Do we want to do it with our hand?

Better line would be as you suggested cbet, cbet/ fold to raise.

But if we take his line c/c flop...can we c/r turn? We're very often behind so I don't see a meaning behind it. Yes he mind try it with FD, but definitely the amount wouldn't be 3/4 pot.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      But if we take his line c/c flop...can we c/r turn? We're very often behind so I don't see a meaning behind it. Yes he mind try it with FD, but definitely the amount wouldn't be 3/4 pot.

Well, we are representing kinda polarized range there anyways. Which means just towards Qx. But the question is if we really want to Check/Call and then face a bet on river again? Most likely I would agree if I would know the opponent. Against some I would definitely pick that kind of line, either he is passive player or he is aggressive enough. Therefore that's true that Check/Call is better. But as I said already, there shouldn't be even such a spot as this one. :D You should just CBet yourself!

His 2nd barrel range could easily contain of draws/overpairs.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by veriz
      [QUOTE]His 2nd barrel range could easily contain of draws/overpairs.[/quote]I'm not sure he does it with overpairs - I don't see many smooth callers with KK+ on NL10. And about a FD I don't think he bets so strong since FH is now possible and even if he hits it, he won't go broke happily.

It's not only because I saw the opponent's hand but I don't like going broke with QJ in this spot. With KQ and AQ, ok that's a different story but with our weakish hand...like you said, depends on the opp, but I don't win much money with this kind of hands on this kind of boards.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      [quote]Originally posted by yaxkukmian
      [quote]Originally posted by veriz
      [QUOTE]His 2nd barrel range could easily contain of draws/overpairs.[/quote]I'm not sure he does it with overpairs - I don't see many smooth callers with KK+ on NL10. And about a FD I don't think he bets so strong since FH is now possible and even if he hits it, he won't go broke happily.

It's not only because I saw the opponent's hand but I don't like going broke with QJ in this spot. With KQ and AQ, ok that's a different story but with our weakish hand...like you said, depends on the opp, but I don't win much money with this kind of hands on this kind of boards.[/quote]Well, most likely I'd myself also Check/Call there but now again why does he even take such a line in first place. It's going to be hard for him to extract value. :D That's why you should never even be in this kind of spot, turning the hand into bluff-catcher in this spot is horrible.
    • yaxkukmian
      yaxkukmian
      Bronze
      Agree there. Tnx Veriz, you're the man. :f_thumbsup: